Insurance just for camp?

spacie1977

Visit site
Ok so I know you can get insurance for borrowing a car for just a few days, but is it possible to insure a horse for just a few days?
I've booked to go to horse camp but don't think my horse will be sound for it so someone on my yard has said I an borrow her horse for it. However she doesn't have him insured and I really don't want to tempt fate.

dianchi

Visit site
Fairly pointless as cover needs to be in place for 21 days before they will pay out.

Id make sure your liability is up to scratch

spacie1977

Visit site
I've got public liability insurance covered by my BHS gold membership. It's vet fees I'm concerned about - accident/loss of use/euthanasia.
I know with my insurance on my own horse they covered accidents from the start of the policy, and illness/conditions would be covered after 14 days. But it's only 3 days I need covering in case ponio does something daft whilst at camp.

Annagain

Visit site
Why not take out a policy, opt for monthly payments and cancel it after the first month? I doubt it will be much more (and possibly less) than a short term policy? Just say you have the horse on loan (which you do, just short term) and the policy will stipulate any pay out for anything other than vets' bills will go to the owner.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
You probably can't get insurance at a reasonable cost, anyway you would be liable for an excess and there may be a cancelation fee eg three months payments.
I think the only thing you could do is to find a hireling from a hunting stable.
You need to discuss with owner, but she is getting the horse schooled, so may accept the risk, you could say you will pay first £3/4/500 and no more.

Last edited: