Insurance: just tack, not horse?

Greylegs

Visit site
Does anyone just insure their tack and not their horse, or cover them on separate policies? My current insurer won't cover my two saddles and other gear to be left at the yard due to the security measures not meeting their specific requirements (the door locks are adequate, but the window does not have steel bars!!) so am wondering if I can cover it on a separate policy.

It's a pain carrying stuff back and forth at every visit and I can't leave it in my car. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks all.

Greylegs

Visit site
We insure our tack on our household insurance and they don't require it to be locked up.

I've had a look at ours and it's only covered whilst in use or if it's stored at home, not if it's stored elsewhere, unfortunately. I'll have a chat with our household insurers and see what they advise.

Batgirl

Visit site
A few words of warning/experience.

Home insurance may cover it - but it may have similar restrictions. Additional restrictions will include how long it is away from home - a friedn got caught out because hers had been int he tack room for weeks and violated policy requirements.

Sporting goods insurance often has the same lock requirements.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
as Batgirl ^^ plus my insurers wouldn't cover one of mine due to the value :(

I have successfully had mine covered on the horse insurance with a lockable cabinet bolted to floor and wall in the past, when the tackroom windows werent up to spec, worth a try OP?

Pippity

Visit site
I'm having the same problem trying to get cover for the saddle I bought for my share horse. I can't get cover for it at the yard, despite offering guard dogs, CCTV, locker inside a padlocked tack room, etc., because I don't want to insure the horse, too. (He's not my horse! Of course I don't want to insure him!) I can't keep it at home, because I go to the yard straight from work in a rather scary area. Getting the saddle into my tiny little car in the first place is something of a struggle - keeping it out of view is absolutely impossible. (Also, if I keep it at home, my cat is pretty much guaranteed to destroy it.)

Batgirl

Visit site
I'm having the same problem trying to get cover for the saddle I bought for my share horse. I can't get cover for it at the yard, despite offering guard dogs, CCTV, locker inside a padlocked tack room, etc., because I don't want to insure the horse, too. (He's not my horse! Of course I don't want to insure him!) I can't keep it at home, because I go to the yard straight from work in a rather scary area. Getting the saddle into my tiny little car in the first place is something of a struggle - keeping it out of view is absolutely impossible. (Also, if I keep it at home, my cat is pretty much guaranteed to destroy it.)

Look for sports equipment insurance in your instance