Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
So my retired boy is 22 and I keep him insured
I’m just looking to get cost down
Thinking joining Harry Hall or the BHS so he is covered for public liability
He isn’t ridden kept on private land and is worth not much
Would this be a cheaper way ?
Or would vets fees be worth sticking with ?
Any advice please

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
So many variables depending on you and your horse.

Personally, my two are un-insurable due to previous colic surgery, so I 'self-insure' by putting a set amount into savings every month. That plus BHS membership.

I guess the questions to ask yourself are;
1. What sort of vet treatments would I be willing to do on a 22 year old?
2. Do I have enough money to pay for it if not insured? Or enough credit, perhaps.
3. If I do insure him - what would the insurance company be willing to pay for vet fees?
4. How much are the premium, the excess, and the limits?
5. How much can you put aside each month if you chose to stop insuring?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Ditto S.

I self-insure now. Two are retired and can't be stabled and one won't be stabled (comes out over the door or through the wall). That limits what treatment they could all have. I wouldn't put any of them through any surgery that couldn't be done standing with paddock recovery.

BHS Gold member for the 3rd party liability insurance.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Agree with the above
My old dears aren't insured other than third party as I would no longer pursue expensive or lengthy treatment for them if something went wrong.

I do insure some of the others as I feel happier with predictable costs and am pretty risk averse. Generally the uninsured ones I'd pts if they were facing a big vets bill and the ones I'd want to have the option of surgery etc I insure.

Very personal decision.

EllenJay

Visit site
I have always recommended BHS for their public liability, but a friend tried to claim on this and was told to claim on their house insurance first. So I would say look elsewhere first.

teddypops

Visit site
Petplan veteran insurance is very cheap. I pay less than £10 per month. This doesn’t cover illness but covers accident, injury and lameness. I have £1000 vet fee cover with a £145 excess. I have made several claims for 2 ponies with no problem. I had to have one of my oldies pts at Christmas and they paid vet fees, disposal and for his death, so I’m glad I continued with it.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I have always recommended BHS for their public liability, but a friend tried to claim on this and was told to claim on their house insurance first. So I would say look elsewhere first.

They do state this in all their literature - they are an insurer of last resort - one of the reasons they can keep the premiums affordable. If you can't make a claim with any other existing policies then they will step in.
So it is cover and piece of mind, if your friend already had insurance cover then she didn't need any more public liability - most of us don't read our home insurance small print with the finest of detail.

I would rather have BHS than discover my font 6 40 page home insurance document didn't say what I thought it did !!