Insurance question

Jo C

Visit site
Does your insurance company tell you when you are about to go over your claim limit does anyone know or do they just let you go over and tell you that you need to pay? How do you stand if you cannot afford the treatment suggested after you have gone over the limit? Obviously I will do as much as I can but where do you draw the line if all other treatment has failed? Has anybody esle had any experience of this please?

eekmon

Visit site
I don't quite understand
confused.gif
You usually pay your vet bill then claim back off the insurance! So if you know your limit is say £4000 you will normally get a rough quote on what is going to be done by your vet if it is say for an operation, or if it is ongoing treatment you just keep tabs on how much it is costing! Is that what you mean or did I get the wrong end of the stick?
confused.gif

Jo C

Visit site
Hmm thats what usually happens - however this has been going on for about 9 months and I have 2 claims going at once so have kind of lost track of it all and my insurance company has paid my vet directly making it even harder to keep track of. There is also the matter of the insurance company completely confusing all the claims and making very strange payments.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you are unsure as to whether you are near the limit or not why not give them a buzz.

My vet has always dealt directly with the insurance company - and whenever I have made a claim the bills are paid direct to the vets, rather than by me first.

The vets always sent me a copy of the invoices, so I could keep a running total.

Jo C

Visit site
I am on the phone to them now and they have made such a mess of all the claims that they don't know either! Great!
frown.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ok - so ring the vets and ask them to send you a list of what has been spent / costs incurred for treatment (regardless of whether it was covered by insurance or not) over the past 12 months.

That way you should be able to work out where you are up to.

Jo C

Visit site
Well it seems that I have already gone over my limit but the insurance company can't be sure because it is such a mess. Needless to say I will never insure with this company again. I really don't know what to do now as I really cannot afford to take Patrick to Newmarket if it is not covered by the insurance. The vets have said they will try and find out how much I have spent so far but it really isn't looking hopeful.

Jo C

Visit site
To see Ian Wright about a bony growth on his leg which has been operated on and removed but has grown back as big as it was before the operation.

Jo C

Visit site
I think I will have to but knowing you are going to walk out with a huge bill is very daunting when money is tight anyway.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
But surely this is a consultation - so you will only have that initial bill. You will have the opportunity to discuss costs etc when you're there and know what you're faced with for the future.

Jo C

Visit site
Yes but I am willing to bet there will be xrays and scans taken on Monday as I am not sure how else they will evaulate it. Thanks though!