Insurance question

Polos

Visit site
Theoretical question here,

If your horse was on competition livery and whilst being ridden by the rider kicked and broke an arena mirror (horse is known to be very sharp) (riders insurance does not cover this - not sure what insurance they have)

What insurance would I need to cover this? Would bhs gold cover this? House insurance?

Just need a bit of advice really!

be positive

Visit site
The yards insurance should cover it, the horse is fully under their care, being ridden by their staff member at the time of the incident so it is their problem, I would not expect my liveries to pay for damage done by their horses if I was dealing with it at the time, it is not the same as the horse damaging property belonging to a third party, kicking a car out hacking for example, although that should still be under the yards insurance if they were exercising it.

Polos

Visit site
The yards insurance should cover it, the horse is fully under their care, being ridden by their staff member at the time of the incident so it is their problem, I would not expect my liveries to pay for damage done by their horses if I was dealing with it at the time, it is not the same as the horse damaging property belonging to a third party, kicking a car out hacking for example, although that should still be under the yards insurance if they were exercising it.

Thank you 😊 so basically my insurance would never cover a scenario like this as it wasn’t me personally involved?

be positive

Visit site
I don't think it would, you are paying for the service and unless the horse does something you have not declared I don't think they have any comeback, being a bit sharp should not be beyond a professional yard, destroying fences because she cribbed like mad and you had not told them before she went there would be a different matter but still one they should be able to work round or manage.
They need to consider what would have happened if the horse had been badly injured when it kicked the mirror, their insurance may come in before yours to cover the injury if the rider was negligent in any way.

Polos

Visit site
I don't think it would, you are paying for the service and unless the horse does something you have not declared I don't think they have any comeback, being a bit sharp should not be beyond a professional yard, destroying fences because she cribbed like mad and you had not told them before she went there would be a different matter but still one they should be able to work round or manage.
They need to consider what would have happened if the horse had been badly injured when it kicked the mirror, their insurance may come in before yours to cover the injury if the rider was negligent in any way.

Thank you very much for your help 😊