Insurance recommendations

Halfstep

Visit site
Sorry I don't come on her much, but a potential new horse has lured me back. I've always been with SEIB (since I started insuring horses, over a decade ago), but I know lots of new companies have come online etc. So who do you recommend for a competition horse, above average value (will have a 5 stage vetting and x-rays), vets fees only, not loss of use (can't afford that).

Thanks! :)

Ps. wish me luck on vetting, will tell all if it goes to plan.

Worried1

Visit site
Good luck :D
KBIS excellent, settle promptly and open on a Saturday morning which is a real plus expecially if you want to start the ball rolling for referals etc!
Client uses www.amtrustequine.co.uk - they were really helpful and more realisitc as only wanted vet's fees and minimal cover for 'cost' of the horse.

Halfstep

Visit site
Thanks W! At the moment AM trust are the cheapest. But it is a close run thing and I've always had great service from SEIB with settling claims and not doing silly exclusions. :D

MiaBella

Visit site
Another insured with AMTrust, but a warning (as its not clear till you read the small print of the policy) that they have a limit of £1500 for diagnostics. Its surprisingly easy to get through that amount (especially if you and your vet are not aware of that limit).

Tempi

Visit site
Jups is with SEIB (Bloss and Paris aren't insured). They have always been fantastic and gave me the best price.

Archie was with them aswell, and again got the best price. He was insured for his purchase value and for LOU.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
We did a search of all the companies last night as we have 4 insured with Petplan and decided we should try and get it cheaper. Found that surprisingly Petplan were the cheapest!

All ours are insured for £250 but with 5K vet fees. Premiums vary between £18 (for 5year old cob) to £27 per month for (11year old Squeezy).

Halfstep

Visit site
Another insured with AMTrust, but a warning (as its not clear till you read the small print of the policy) that they have a limit of £1500 for diagnostics. Its surprisingly easy to get through that amount (especially if you and your vet are not aware of that limit).

Thank you! I'm useless at reading small print so would have missed this. I think I'm going to stick with SEIB, they've been good to me in the past. Loyalty etc!

Halfstep

Visit site
We did a search of all the companies last night as we have 4 insured with Petplan and decided we should try and get it cheaper. Found that surprisingly Petplan were the cheapest!

All ours are insured for £250 but with 5K vet fees. Premiums vary between £18 (for 5year old cob) to £27 per month for (11year old Squeezy).

Online quote from petplan was £250 MORE than anyone else!!! bizzarree.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Should also say that Ells has claimed ££££'s from Petplan over the past few yrs with her eventers and never had any probs. Main reason for goingto the (other than price) is MRI scans being covered. Find them quite straight forward to insure with whereas others are quite complex in their policies and requirments.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I moved to Amtrust a year ago after NFU gave bad service. They were a 1/3 cheaper and have been excellent paying claims usually within 4 days of receiving bill money in account. Staff very helpful and actually care. Cannot recommend enough.

wench

Visit site
I have previously been with Scottish Equestrian - they were very prompt and quick at paying out when I had two claims.

I am currently with Equestrian World. (They are based at the same address as Scottish Equestrian before it was sold to PetPlan, so assuming its the same people working there.) I have made one claim through them, for a medium-term ongoing problem. They aren't as quick to deal with things as Scottish Equestrian, but they are very cheap, and didn't whack my insurance premium up when it was due for renewal, or put any exclusions on the horse!

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Just had insurance quotes from NFU, Petplan and Scottish Equestrian for 3 horses,

Scot Eq was by far the cheapest although they were still alot so maybe I'll drop the horses values as it came to £83 per month for 3.

oscarwild

Visit site
Previously was with NFU but had bad service a few years ago so when I got my new horse I used Julie Andrews insurnace brooker and am insured with Scottish Equestrian.
They have been excellent and currently paying up a ever increasing bill and have had no issues with them at all.