Insurance Renewal

EventingMum

Visit site
I've just had my renewal papers in for my horses insurance and was particularly surprised at the attachments for our eldest horse, a 20 yo ex eventer. He's now retired but still sound and happy, a broken jaw a few years ago meant he hangs his tongue out which wasn't good for dressage but other than that he hasn't had any issues or claims in the last 4 or 5 years. I hadn't notified the insurers that he's retired.

The insurers have moved him to a mature horse policy offering cover for injury only, which I understand, however for this to come into effect they require a copy of his passport and a 5 stage vetting done no more than 30 days ago. This horse has been insured with the same company since we bought 15 years ago.

My premium has increased again but the cover is less due to no illness cover plus I'm also facing a bill for a few hundred pounds for a vetting if I want to keep him insured. I'm failing to see how a vetting will be of any use to them for injury only cover and he won't be fit enough for a 5 stage vetting anyway. I think the time has come to stop insuring him :( Has anyone else had a request like this?

Woah

Visit site
Sounds ridiculous but nothing shocks me when it comes down to insurance companies. Is this a common scenario for older horses anyone?

BlackRider

Visit site
That's bizarre, some insurers do more to the veteran policy at 21, but I've never needed a vetting to make the switch, its happened automatically.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I've never heard of that, but I haven't insured for a few years now.
The switch to a veteran policy used to be automatic and I can't really see why they would want a vetting if they're only covering accidental injury.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
mine offered to switch my oldie over to a veteran policy but I decided to cancel the insurance as she's retired now.. I only insure the working horses. asking for a vetting is nuts, never heard of that in these circumstances.

EventingMum

Visit site
UPDATE! I have just phoned to cancel the insurance and it's an error on their system - it's been asking everyone renewing a policy for a 5 stage vetting and unsurprisingly they've been having a lot of disgruntled customers calling them.