Insurance

Horsecrazy721

Visit site
I'm new to this forum and hoped someone could help.

My horse suddenly doesn't feel quite 100%, he isn't noticeably lame but hes suddenly stopping down hill and doesn't seem as happy to be ridden.

I would usually get the vet out straight away, but I changed insurer in October so hes only been insured under the new policy 3 months. Its a very good reputable insurer. I've owned him 4 years with a clear record bar the jabs and teeth, hes never had this problem before only just started. After a bit of speaking to friends and professional friends in this area it sounds a little like early arthritis in the hocks. Obviously not 100% just guessing by the symptoms.

I am worried if I get the vet out the insurer may not pay, can't risk this as couldn't afford the vet fees myself. Only querying as the vet is out to a friend on the yard next week and considering asking but know as soon as I do its on his record.. OR do I stop riding him for a few weeks and get the vet out when its been more 4 months since the policy was taken out.

Please no harsh comments. Thank you

be positive

Visit site
If they decide whatever it proves to be was preexisting they may not pay out whether it is 3 months or 4 months after taking out the policy so you may as well get on with at least the first stage of diagnosing, it may be something and nothing that is best treated quickly, if it does prove to be arthritis it is not going to be too expensive for the initial xrays and treatment, if they don't pay, can be done with that in mind.
You always run the risk that insurance will not cover certain issues even if they are not excluded every case is dealt with individually, hopefully you will be covered and can get any treatment paid for without any hassle.

Horsecrazy721

Visit site
Thank you be positive.

What decides if its pre existing? He has been out doing dressage, show jumping up until very recently I noticed his behaviour and attituate changed. He even had a physio treatment just before Christmas and all was clear.