Insuring your horse/horse prices

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
We have started looking at new horses following the untimely loss of our super cob - I now realise that we had her undervalued.

We got her for £3500 as a 5yo, which I though was fairly exspensive at the time, managed to get tack thrown in, which all had to be replaced (when will I learn - ho hum). We had her about 2.5 years, she was green, but had started all the basics and was fairly straightforward. She was a 15.1 full up heavy weight show cob, forward going, with a super bold jump both SJ & XC. We are now looking for another and for a similar type we are looking at about 4-5K - Why are nice cobs sooo exspensive, if we wanted a TB we would be laughing.

Also do you think its worth re -evaluating your horses worth as his/her training progresses and his competion record starts to grow?

ArabianGold

Just around the corner, take a left follow the roa
Visit site
I would say so, I brought my mare for £750 and I know she will be worth more than that in a year or so because of the things I will be taking her too and doing with her.

It's no so much the selling on factor for me though so I guess as long as the bills are covered it doesn't matter how much she is worth she is priceless to me :)

Be interested to hear others thoughts on this as well.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I would say so, I brought my mare for £750 and I know she will be worth more than that in a year or so because of the things I will be taking her too and doing with her.

It's no so much the selling on factor for me though so I guess as long as the bills are covered it doesn't matter how much she is worth she is priceless to me :)

Be interested to hear others thoughts on this as well.

Absolutely, would never have dreamed of selling Almera, but then again never thouight in a million yeras we would loose her out of the blue, didnt even have disposal on my policy. My reason for insurance was mainly public liability and for serious vet bills.

Also - we are only looking for a cob to compete with at local/club level. I must be completely out of touch with prices.