Intelligent Horsemanship - Opinions Please

Halfpass

Visit site
Have been thinking of getting a local lady to come and do some ground work with me and my youngster. She is recommended by Kelly Marks on the IH web site. What are people's opinions of IH and if you have used someone to help you what has the outcome been? I know a lot of it is common sense but I feel I need someone to help me focus on where I am going with my girl at this early stage is this a good route to go down?

clipclop

Visit site
Go with what you think is best for you and your horse.
smile.gif
Gut instinct is a wonderful tool
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Go with what you think is best for you and your horse.
smile.gif
Gut instinct is a wonderful tool
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for saying what I wanted to, so elloquently
grin.gif

EBW

New User
Visit site
B

I would say have a go and see what you think. I have a friend who has been doing Parelli for years but she also has lessons with a IH instructor. I have heard good things so far.

I have been using Natural Horsemanship techniques for the past ten years and I have heard sooo many people say that it is just 'common sense'. It really isn't. Common sense to a human is very different to that of prey animals. Many of the traditional methods of handling horses and the mentality is based on human 'common sense' and does not always help in many situations.

I think that you will learn more about yourself than just horsemanship and you can use it in many areas of your life.

Have fun!
EBW

foraday

Visit site
Having seen all the methods mentioned it really depends on your choice.

Get your research books out! Any NH trainer worth their weight will give you testomonials and will ask their customers to contact you with a recommendation.

http://www.naturallyhorses.org.uk/index.html

There are over 150 NH people on this site using all different methods that work for their horses.

The only person I can recommend is Lewis Blackburn who also writes for the essex rider.

http://www.blackburnnaturalhorsetraining.com/

Have a good look and ask questions!

One question you do need to ask is about their pressure systems!!! I think this will be an eye opener for any NH person! You may start on one NH system then as you start to become more competent yourself you will start to see that alot of the NH systems are really not that natural!!!!

PM me if you would like further info but the 2 sites mentioned should help you

dressagecrazy

Visit site
I think it would be a good thing to do, there are some very good RA's on that list. I will be having an RA out one of mine in in January hopefully.
I tend to use bits from IH & traditional ive also used Parelli with one horse i just find what works with each different horse. I think Kelly does some great work, i also love the way Mark Rashid works & would of loved him to work with my horse during his time over here recently. But my horse wasnt well at the time.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Anyone recommended by Kelly Marks should be well worth having to help you with your ground work. Yes most of it is common sense that comes from having spent a lot of time around horses and I'm sure you are already doing all the right things but it helps having another set of eyes and ears around - also to reassure you that you are both progressing in the right direction.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Kelly Marks and Richard Maxwell talk a lot of sense in my opinion. Springy is a big stroppy mare but I have successfully sorted a lot of her problems with a Be Nice halter, body language and common sense, where slapping and screaming would have sent her the other way. I am not a fan of Parelli but I think its whatever you feel comfortable with and what works for your horse.

_jetset_

Visit site
Grace has had a lot of IH done on her, and it shows. She is really good in hand etc. which is great because she is a big 17hh horse... I would definitely look into some of these methods when my foalie is born.

malibu211211

How the hell do I know??? I can barely remember my
Visit site
Hi,
I had a Monty Roberts certified instructor out to D to help with leading and all round general thug-like ness.
I had got to the point where I just did'nt know what to do and was really considering selling him
frown.gif

It was definately the right thing to do for him and he responds so well to that kind of handling.
Just remember it is your horse and you know deep down what is best for him/her
grin.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
I would ask around and she what people say about her, if she is local this shouldn't be a problem. Like all things in life there are probably good and bad kelly marks recommended people.