Interested, thoughts please

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Hi guys

I took some pictures of Nell today, and just thought it would be interesting to see what you think re the whole age thing. I know its hard to tell, and I will be getting an EDT, and I have stopped flapping about the whole situation.
I find that sometimes she looks more mature than others. Previous owners vet reckons she may be a late foal and will be three this year, then ofcourse my vet thought 2.

Anyway, just because she is pretty as well, thoughts appreciated, Thanks :)

I did try and make her a bit less muddy :eek: honest

006-6.jpg

007-5.jpg

008-5.jpg

014-5.jpg

020-5.jpg

And a couple in the field as she was being nosy while i poo picked
027-4.jpg

028-5.jpg

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
i get the feeling that she's nearer 2 than 3. She looks very immature.
Whatever age she is, she is lovely. :)

Thanks and thanks :) She is lovely, wish she could talk, just briefly, just to tell me at least what year she was born!
I can certainly tell she has alot of maturing to do in her growing, lots of balancing out to do yet, need to know what that passport needs changing to thats for sure

sunshine19

Visit site
She looks very similar to my cob who will be 3 at the end of July. If you want to have a look, there is a recent photo of him in the snow in my profile album, he is on the LHS.

be positive

Visit site
How long had her previous owners had her for, if she is only 2 this year it may be possible to trace where she came from and prove her age that way.
If they bred her and have her siblings again it would help, when was the passport issued if it was when she was a foal I would expect it to be correct.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
It's really hard to tell. She is longer in the body (when comparing height and length) and has a longer tail than my gelding who has just turned two this month. He is a different breed though - so? :confused:

Here he is a month ago - it's the best rugless photo I have.
100_2053.jpg

This is my filly at rising two
Flossyten.jpg

and just turned three.
Flossgrazing.jpg

Last edited:

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
How long had her previous owners had her for, if she is only 2 this year it may be possible to trace where she came from and prove her age that way.
If they bred her and have her siblings again it would help, when was the passport issued if it was when she was a foal I would expect it to be correct.

Previous owner did not breed her and even after repeatedly asking he would not tell me where and when he got her! All I could decipher was that she was bought together with another older mare who was more section D and they had her a little while, not sure how long though, vague I know, but that was all I got!

She was never passported, vaccinated or anything before I purchased her, shame really that whomever bred her did not do as they should have done and got her passport done when it was due! Would have saved me some serious stressing

sunshine19

Visit site
Thank you, they're always lying in a big heap :D

He has a huge coat in that photo and all puffed up as it was -14! I hope the EDT puts your mind at ease :)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
It's really hard to tell. She is longer in the body (when comparing height and length) and has a longer tail than my gelding who has just turned two this month. He is a different breed though - so? :confused:

Here he is a month ago - it's the best rugless photo I have.
100_2053.jpg

This is my filly at rising two
Flossyten.jpg

and just turned three.
Flossgrazing.jpg

Thanks faracat, it is very interesting to look at differences across the board, god knows if i will ever know for sure, but appreciate the reply and pictures to mull over :)

be positive

Visit site
Previous owner did not breed her and even after repeatedly asking he would not tell me where and when he got her! All I could decipher was that she was bought together with another older mare who was more section D and they had her a little while, not sure how long though, vague I know, but that was all I got!

She was never passported, vaccinated or anything before I purchased her, shame really that whomever bred her did not do as they should have done and got her passport done when it was due! Would have saved me some serious stressing

Not much to go on then:rolleyes: so it really is going to be educated guesswork from the experts. At some point microchipping will be done properly but people like her former owners will still get away without doing it.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Hey, glad to hear you stopped stressing :) I think she looks really sweet and absolutely adorable. That said however, looking at her I would want to see her mature far more body-wise before I would attempt to back her no matter how old she actually is. I'm sorry, I know that isn't what you wanted to hear and I do really feel for you. It's so hard finding a new one and bonding with it when you've lost your best friend.

Sorry that's not more helpful, but it is honest and heartfelt, and I do wish you all the best. xx

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Hey, glad to hear you stopped stressing :) I think she looks really sweet and absolutely adorable. That said however, looking at her I would want to see her mature far more body-wise before I would attempt to back her no matter how old she actually is. I'm sorry, I know that isn't what you wanted to hear and I do really feel for you. It's so hard finding a new one and bonding with it when you've lost your best friend.

Sorry that's not more helpful, but it is honest and heartfelt, and I do wish you all the best. xx

Thanks, I was going to do some work later in the year then give her a break to think about it had she been 3 as I was expecting her to mature over the summer somewhat. However, this post is not about that. I do not want to go over old ground, just thought it would be interesting to get thoughts on her age. I should of done a post saying show me your 2 and 3 year olds, but as usual I realise this after :rolleyes: :D Thanks though, I do appreciate your post entirely but do not want to veer off topic here

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Thanks, I was going to do some work later in the year then give her a break to think about it had she been 3 as I was expecting her to mature over the summer somewhat. However, this post is not about that. I do not want to go over old ground, just thought it would be interesting to get thoughts on her age. I should of done a post saying show me your 2 and 3 year olds, but as usual I realise this after :rolleyes: :D Thanks though, I do appreciate your post entirely but do not want to veer off topic here

No worries, I still think she's utterly adorable! :)

starbar

Visit site
Look at her teeth!! Baby teeth fall out at around 2 and a half. I speak from experience....my coblet had a very wobbly front tooth yesterday and today it has gone, there is a lovely little new tooth poking through. If she is 2 you may notice a bulge in the gum above her front teeth....this could be her adult teeth trying to erupt. If she is 3 her adult teeth should have started to grow down quite a bit.
I'm surprised your vet didn't check this....you can age them pretty accurately up to about 4 :)
Lovely coblet whatever age she is :D

ETA: I can post/send you a picture of my 2 and a half year old coblet for comparison if you think it would help!

Last edited:

FairyLights

Visit site
Lovely Nell! I have a similar type who is now 21 months old. Nell looks to me to be nearer 2 than 3. Maybe she was born late summer or in the autumn. I think if you go with her being younger rather than older you cant go wrong, the extra time to mature and develop will be given to her whatever her age is.
Keep us updated with her progress and life with you please, I love hearing about her.
re teeth, good idea to check them out re age but its not foolproof, if the horse has been underfed or under wormed they can take longer to reach their milestones. I had an arab mare whoesage we knew but when the vet looked in her mouth he said her teeth were showing her to be 2 years younger than she actually was. This mare had been quite starved as a yearling before we rescued her. she also didnt stop growing til she was 8, inthat year we had to buy her a whole new wardrobe of rugs as nothing fitted anymore and a new saddle.

Last edited:

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Look at her teeth!! Baby teeth fall out at around 2 and a half. I speak from experience....my coblet had a very wobbly front tooth yesterday and today it has gone, there is a lovely little new tooth poking through. If she is 2 you may notice a bulge in the gum above her front teeth....this could be her adult teeth trying to erupt. If she is 3 her adult teeth should have started to grow down quite a bit.
I'm surprised your vet didn't check this....you can age them pretty accurately up to about 4 :)
Lovely coblet whatever age she is :D

ETA: I can post/send you a picture of my 2 and a half year old coblet for comparison if you think it would help!

Yes, I have looked at her teeth as have a few vets now and I am being told different things and am now frankly confused by the experts! :confused:

Thanks, yes she is a very lovely coblet :D

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Lovely Nell! I have a similar type who is now 21 months old. Nell looks to me to be nearer 2 than 3. Maybe she was born late summer or in the autumn. I think if you go with her being younger rather than older you cant go wrong, the extra time to mature and develop will be given to her whatever her age is.
Keep us updated with her progress and life with you please, I love hearing about her.
re teeth, good idea to check them out re age but its not foolproof, if the horse has been underfed or under wormed they can take longer to reach their milestones. I had an arab mare whoesage we knew but when the vet looked in her mouth he said her teeth were showing her to be 2 years younger than she actually was. This mare had been quite starved as a yearling before we rescued her. she also didnt stop growing til she was 8, inthat year we had to buy her a whole new wardrobe of rugs as nothing fitted anymore and a new saddle.

Thanks, yes I will. That is very interesting about being underfed or under wormed I have never heard of this in my life. It would not surprise me at all if she had been previously neglected tbh

scrunchie

Visit site
This is Saffy at 2.

picture.php

picture.php

Saffybum.jpg

The trouble is that they are all so different. I think Saffy looks older than 2 in these pics.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Farahcat, your filly is gorgeous.

Thank you. She's now rising four and fleabitten grey. :D

MM, it's so frustrating. If only the person you bought her from would give you the contact details for the person that they bought her from. Then you would know where you stand.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
MM, it's so frustrating. If only the person you bought her from would give you the contact details for the person that they bought her from. Then you would know where you stand.

I know, but there is no chance of that, she is a lovely young filly, will be interesting to see if those teeth do much more this coming summer, not that they are accurate apparently :rolleyes:
Shame she was not passported as she should have been from the start :mad: