Interesting article about temperature regulation in horses. Worth a read

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Maybe I should print this off and take it to the yard next door, most of the horses are in full neck rugs already left on 24-7 mainly because people can't be bothered to take them off before work, I saw a few out in turnouts in 20 degrees because it was raining a few weeks back.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I know I have always been spoilt by essentially living on site but I do massively appreciate the fact that it is easier to change rugs as required, it does seem to be those that only see their horses once a day that seem to struggle, especially at times of year when the variation is so big.

Fiona

Visit site
Its such a difficult time of year to rug, quite hot sometimes in the middle of the day still, but can be below freezing in places (we live in a frost pocket :( ) so I'd rather under rug than overrug.

Over rugging for the night time temps and then not removing or changing rug during the day would definitely be a welfare issue there pinkyboots....

Fiona

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Interesting article but I suspect won't make anyone change their minds! I rug far less than most people on my yard, though still more than strictly necessary. But in my experience there is absolutely no telling people that a full neck thick rug on a warm Autumn day is unnecessary. They probably think I am cruel for under-rugging!

buddylove

Visit site
I am standing firm!! My ID mare will not be seeing a turnout until I see a forecast of prolonged wind and rain or freezing temperatures. It's tough though when nearly every other horse on the yard has been rugged for the last 2 months!!

SpringArising

Visit site
There are about 30 horses on my yard wearing fleeces at the moment, and have been for about a week. Most of these horses are fat and unclipped. I feel so sorry for them - I have been leaving the yard in a T-SHIRT at about 9pm :(

I won't be rugging until I clip.

Art Nouveau

Visit site
Interesting, but I haven't seen 0c as the lower limit before, I've seen it as 5c. Maybe it depends whether the horse has it's summer coat or winter coat.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
No I've not seen zero as the lower limit either. But I did know it was much lower than ours! And yet most people rug theit horses as soon as they are a bit chilly themselves.

LaurenBay

Visit site
It's really difficult to get it right this time of year. I went up on last weekend to find my mare tucked up and shivering (first time in 7 years I have witnessed her shivering) so I put a rug on her and left her with plenty of hay. 3 hours later and the rain stopped and the sun came out and it went to 22 degrees. Back up to field to remove rugs and she was too hot. If it had been a weekday she would have had to have had it on all day as I can't leave work to remove rugs and it is only her and 1 other Horse so no one to help me.

catkin

Visit site
Good to see it written down.
Interesting about the stone stables - makes sense as our stone ones are always cooler in the summer than wooden ones. Just shows that one management regime DOESNT fit all, one has to take all factors into account!
By observation we have seen that the ponies like a light rug if it's stormy and wet but not if it's dry and cold.

Would like to see more on the research on effects of air temperature on density of hair growth if anyone knows the link. Was having just this conversation the other day about light vs temperature and hair growth, and when each comes into effect in domestic horses

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Its such a difficult time of year to rug, quite hot sometimes in the middle of the day still, but can be below freezing in places (we live in a frost pocket :( ) so I'd rather under rug than overrug.

Over rugging for the night time temps and then not removing or changing rug during the day would definitely be a welfare issue there pinkyboots....

Fiona

Thing is there is a person that does services so no excuse, they are still out 24-7 so people tend to see to there horse once a day but if your horse is DIY it's not fair to leave them in the same rug day and night in this weather.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
One of mine has a trace clip with neck off and hogged and is naked unless its raining and i want to ride.
The other has been in a 100g at night if it falls below 10 degrees as he ties up when left to it

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The stuff about stone stables versus wood is absolute rubbish. Horses do not radiate heat to the nearest available solid surface. They radiate heat into the air that surrounds them. The amount of heat that they lose is dependant on the air temperature, not the temperature of the walls.

In addition, in winter, daylight temperatures (especially if it's sunny) will heat up stone walls, which then release that heat when the temperature drops at night, meaning that the air in stone stables is often noticeably warmer than the air in wooden stables, which lose their heat much quicker because an inch or two of wood is much less insulating than 8 inches of concrete block.

For the same reason, the greater insulation of stone walls, the heat of the horse inside the stable is better retained, and unless you have big draughts or a very high ceiling, a stone stable will be warmer than a wooden one in very cold weather.

Annagain

Visit site
My approach to rugging is very pragmatic - it's about keeping them in the way that means I can ride them with the least amount of hassle while ensuring they're comfortable and healthy. Even at 22 my boys would be fine unrugged if they were field ornaments (their two retired fieldmates who are very similar are fat, hairy and muddy) so I'm the first to admit I clip / rug to suit me, which I suppose we all do unless we have very old, unwell or delicate horses.

They're currently unrugged but will be wearing lightweights once the weather turns wet simply to keep them clean as they're both grey. I won't clip them until mid-late November as I hate it and don't want to do it more than once a year. I'll keep their work fairly light between now and then as they get hairier to avoid too much sweating. When they're clipped they're fully clipped. They don't really need to be fully clipped for the level of work they do these days but I still have their heavyweight rugs (they never really wear them unless the weather is really cold as they're plenty warm enough in mediumweights) but they get filthy without being covered nose to tail so I like them to wear snuggy hoods and they'd be too warm without full clips. Plus I hate the moulting!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think the ones that soak up the heat from the sun are block or brick as opposed to stone.

Nope, stone does it too, I have stone. My stables are noticeably cooler in summer and warmer in winter than wood stables. The thicker the stone/block/brick the longer it takes to warm up and slower it is to cool down.

His explanation is pure nonsense.

KautoStar1

Visit site
The stuff about stone stables versus wood is absolute rubbish. Horses do not radiate heat to the nearest available solid surface. They radiate heat into the air that surrounds them. The amount of heat that they lose is dependant on the air temperature, not the temperature of the walls.

In addition, in winter, daylight temperatures (especially if it's sunny) will heat up stone walls, which then release that heat when the temperature drops at night, meaning that the air in stone stables is often noticeably warmer than the air in wooden stables, which lose their heat much quicker because an inch or two of wood is much less insulating than 8 inches of concrete block.

For the same reason, the greater insulation of stone walls, the heat of the horse inside the stable is better retained, and unless you have big draughts or a very high ceiling, a stone stable will be warmer than a wooden one in very cold weather.

The highly regarded Dr Marlin vs. YCBM. I think my money is on the scientist

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Interesting article but I suspect won't make anyone change their minds! I rug far less than most people on my yard, though still more than strictly necessary. But in my experience there is absolutely no telling people that a full neck thick rug on a warm Autumn day is unnecessary. They probably think I am cruel for under-rugging!

Perhaps you need to lead by example! What is the point of rugging more than strictly necessary? You risk, at best, making your horse uncomfortable and possibly risk skin problems.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Sometimes you can be really sure about something, and still be wrong. I know that fans dont blow out cold air, but that doesnt stop my body thinking they do as thats what it feels like to me. My moneys on the scientist as well!

JulesRules

Visit site

Yep, told my YO about it as she is (IMO) an over rugger and she just poo -pooed it as of course she knows better.

I'm going to print it off and put on the yard noticeboard tomorrow though.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Nope, stone does it too, I have stone. My stables are noticeably cooler in summer and warmer in winter than wood stables. The thicker the stone/block/brick the longer it takes to warm up and slower it is to cool down.

He's possibly not explaining very well, but is talking about thermal radiation/thermal infared, rather than heat transfer through convection or conduction. It passes from one body to another no matter the surrounding air temperature.

But of course this has very little impact when the air temperature is cold and therefore the greater thermal insulation properties mean that the heat that has been transferred from horse to walls does not then disappear instantly out into the outside air. Breeze blocks hold the temperature in, even if they can't heat transfer back in the horse's direction due to their emissivity. If that makes sense?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Perhaps you need to lead by example! What is the point of rugging more than strictly necessary? You risk, at best, making your horse uncomfortable and possibly risk skin problems.

I have endless arguments with my daughters about over-rugging. We have found a compromise that means they are probably rugged a little more than they need to be but not enough for them to overheat. Plus they stay cleaner that way which is useful for competition ponies who live out 24/7.