Interesting bit change observations

smiggy

Visit site
My little cob is super fussy bit wise. I have tried a horse bit fit person but she didn’t like their suggestion after a few rides. I alternate between a myler snaffle and a bomber happy tongue. I have just bought the new bomber dressage swivel to see if she likes that. Couple of rides she seemed very happy, great. Today she was going nicely, warming up so loose contact, no fussing. Asked for Canter and we literally couldn’t.either couldn’t get a transition or if we did fell out of Canter, losing entire back end , after a few strides . Mild panic and thinking back, stifles, argh! Then thought, hmm let’s try her old bit. So hopped off and swopped bridles, completely back to normal.perfect transitions and balanced ( for her) Canter.
Would never have suspected that you could get that kind of a change with a bit. It didn’t for one minute feel like it was a “ front end “ issue, there was no obvious resistance there, felt 100% like a locomotor / pain issue .Was amazed.

asmp

Visit site
I went to a horse bit talk last week and the woman said that in about 50% of her visits, it's the bridle that's the problem, not the bit. (If your bridles are different brands, perhaps your mare prefers one over the other)

oldie48

Visit site
At a recent bitting clinic I saw a young horse mincing along, just not going forward but seemingly "good" in the contact. The bridle was too tight round his ears and the bit didn't suit him, with a change of bridle and bit he looked a different horse! His owner was astonished at the change.