Interesting comment from vet re cost of living

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If you look at the cost of drugs, one I've had for tiddler was £19.98 in September for a 250ml bottle.
£21.68 mid January.
£46.98 last week.
I've queried with the practice and been told yes, price definitely right, many drugs have gone up.
Looking on line, I can see it about a tenner cheaper at best, but as its £15 for a prescription now, I'm no better off.

Feed up, hay and bedding up. Vet and Farrier prices up, not just for fuel but materials too - and yes, I completely get this all and adjustments being made to factor in more dosh.

I've recently been offered a 3rd one, but despite having plenty of space (5 stables and paddocks) I'm not going to accept, as am tightening my proverbial belt.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I was chatting to my vet yesterday.
He said - even as a horse vet himself - that he would encourage all his clients to cut done on numbers

Based on the theory that a finite income, reduced by the cost of living increases, would be better spent on fewer horses, so they still got the best possible care.

Where does he suggest the animals that are parted with go?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Not quite the same but I'm glad I didn't buy a second pony last year now ? .

Mine had a few veterinary issues arise last year and I made the decision to see how well pony came back into work last summer before potentially buying a second.

As it was, pony came back into full work ? The decision made itself to put second pony on the back burner to allow myself the time to concentrate on keeping him fit and well. I feel like after years together, it's the least I can do to keep him well for as long as possible - there will (hopefully) be other opportunities to do endurance but I only get this time with my pony so wanted to make the most of it.

I feel quite relieved I'm not running two and trying to be finance training & competition now!

Last edited:

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Surely that is a no brainer. Less animals mean less cost - however, life isn’t that simple. Once you let an animal into your life they become a family member. So going on the “vets” advice, is he suggesting reducing family numbers as well? ?

I could get on board with this! :p

Squeak

Visit site
Not quite the same but I'm glad I didn't buy a second pony last year now ? .

Mine had a few veterinary issues arise last year and I made the decision to see how well pony came back into work last summer before potentially buying a second.

As it was, pony came back into full work ? The decision made itself to put second pony on the back burner to allow myself the time to concentrate on keeping him fit and well. I feel like after years together, it's the least I can do to keep him well for as long as possible - there will (hopefully) be other opportunities to do endurance but I only get this time with my pony so wanted to make the most of it.

I feel quite relieved I'm not running two and trying to be finance training & competition now!

Every time I see a horse advertised that tempts me I remember the costs of things at the moment and suddenly the feeling passes ?

Peglo

Visit site
I will be downgrading to 2 if not 1 this year. (although may need to go shopping so I’m back up to 2) but that’s not through choice. 3 is tight on money and time for me but if I could I would keep them all and ditch other luxuries for them.

Chuffy99

Visit site
Since ponies went off to daughters I certainly have more disposable income, I occasionally see a nice 13.2 for my trap and then think - pooh picking on clay in winter, driving on the road outside my house which is now so fast and dangerous so no fun but I so miss late night stables and hearing the lovely munching sounds as I go in

catembi

Visit site
I have downsized. At one time, I was up to 7, and pretty much the day I bought 7, one was returned from loan with hardly any notice and I had to ship another one off to livery as he would have fought with the one being returned. I realised that I was in over my head & sold my 3 PSSMers as companions. I also sold my Shetland to a 'forever home' but it turned out that 'forever' meant 3 months, so she is now back. I am now back up to 4. Do Shetlands count, though...?

Spotherisk

Visit site
I have two retirees at home, so farrier every two months for trims, wormer, a bit of feed. No hay costs as a local farmer cuts the big field and I can have back what I need - one round bale last year. If I had another horse I would be on diy, and the costs just don’t stack up for me. My horse owning days will finish when Harley passes (well, probably, never say never etc)!

maya2008

Visit site
I have more than usual, but all good doers bar the one that will be pts before winter (plus six of them are 12.2hh and under). Tried to sell one of the yearlings but my heart wasn’t really in it. I’m just going to work more hours - I’m self employed so I can do that - and go back to buying everything second hand instead of new.

Fieldlife

Visit site
Where does he suggest the animals that are parted with go?

TBH if a horse isn’t saleable / find a secure home-able and some one has too many horses, PTS is not the worst option.

Better for someone who is struggling financially to have the number of horses they can look after properly than have too many and all suffer from lack of having basics met.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
I would not be taking commercial advice from a vet. Amazing animal experts but commercially retarded.

I would also be a bit insulted that a vet thinks he knows my financial situation or my earning capacity or my abiliTy to care for my horses adequately.

Globally we have inflation pressure due to the significant stimulus placed in the system by Govt during the pandemic. In my country most people are 18mths ahead of their mortgage repayments and we have record savings. People during the pandemic changed their buying behaviours and the rampant consumerism from 2019 has dampened.

Watch and wait but I don’t think it’s time to offload in a fire sale situation just yet.

Fieldlife

Visit site
Globally we have inflation pressure due to the significant stimulus placed in the system by Govt during the pandemic. In my country most people are 18mths ahead of their mortgage repayments and we have record savings. People during the pandemic changed their buying behaviours and the rampant consumerism from 2019 has dampened.

Where do you live?

SEL

Visit site
I can see the vet's point but everyone's situation is different,most of those of us who keep horses at home can adjust our expenditure to suit our pockets without doing anything drastic.
Exactly - people will cut back on competing, perhaps use a cheaper brand of pony nuts and give up on "matchy, matchy" habits. I wonder if the vet is worried that we'll also be more reticent about expensive vet work ups and investigations!

Fools Motto

Visit site
I have spent most of my life struggling to afford (but enjoying) horse ownership. Lost my mare late in 2016, I was so depressed. Dabbled in ownership briefly last year with my wonderful project. I'm now almost in a position - thanks to inheritance to own again, and I can't wait. My battle now is with OH who thinks i'm mad with the costs of everything. I shall enjoy it, because I can afford it and you only live once!!
Normally though, this vet isn't wrong and I wouldn't even be thinking about my next move... currently don't have enough cash to fill my car with fuel! (Ain't that the norm now?)

Fieldlife

Visit site
Exactly - people will cut back on competing, perhaps use a cheaper brand of pony nuts and give up on "matchy, matchy" habits. I wonder if the vet is worried that we'll also be more reticent about expensive vet work ups and investigations!

I suspect the vet knows how many horse owners are on a financial knife edge especially the multiple horse owners.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Where do you live?

Sydney. Please come - we are so short on talent post pandemic. I work for a global firm and have just offered jobs to 1 from Ireland, 1 from Scotland, 2 from Norway and 4 from our London office. I’ve had to pay above average salaries, relocation fees and a sign on bonus but very pleased to get them.

We have record low unemployment, can’t find staff, skills or talent. We do also have inflation but no where near that of the UK.

Go have a look at the work Visa process if you are up for a change and opportunity to accelerate your career.

SO1

Visit site
I expect so having just spent nearly 5k at vets to get the impaction in my veteran pony tummy removed and have tests plus the treatment of a glandular ulcer at just under 2k for a month. Not sure at the moment what will be covered by insurance as he has a history of spasmodic colic and not sure long term what is prognosis will be. Vet bills could easily get to 10k. I am lucky I have savings and only one horse but I don't have a huge pot of money.

If the cost of vet treatments go up as well as cost of keeping horses people may decide they cannot afford treatments if they have multiple horses needing attention. So maybe have to sell a sound horse to pay for treatment for a poorly one if uninsured.

If you are wealthy and have a string of horses then no problem unless you are reliant on a well paid job and then there is always a risk you could lose that job. I expect vet is not talking about those sorts of people though.

I do think it may be difficult to reduce numbers if you have multiple horses and some not saleable.

[QUOTE="SEL, post: 14944297, member: 125011" I wonder if the vet is worried that we'll also be more reticent about expensive vet work ups and investigations![/QUOTE]

scats

Visit site
My Dad asked me if I was considering another horse now Millie is possibly not going to withstand much work, but there’s no chance. Three has always been a bit of a struggle in the past. I can afford it, but I would have to be careful to budget everything again and I like the fact that the girls can have their vet Chiro every 3 months without any worries, or if they need new rugs or tack or whatever, I can afford it straight away. The rising cost of everything isn’t really on my list of concerns, simply because I can afford it without really noticing. If I went back up to 3 horses, it would probably become an issue for me.