Interesting horse behaviour

AntxGeorgiax

Visit site
Very odd! My horsey next door neighbour will pick hay from between the bars of my stable from my horses Haynet but she's not generous enough to pick up her hay and share ha ha! Nothing intelligent to comment on why, other than it must be love? ;) :p Thanks for sharing

amandap

Visit site
Absolutely fascinating! I note it's straw. Lots of questions in my head.

I have observed mine taking hay from another's mouth but never seen one offering hay in that manner.

Orangehorse

Visit site
When she spotted the camera a slightly guilty look flashed across her face! I wonder what breed the bay horse is - looked rather like a Morgan and they are known to be very intelligent.

magicmoose

Visit site
Its quite common in predator species (my cat is convinced that we all need more mice, shrews and voles in our diet) but really unusual in a prey species. Fascinating and very cute!

Urban Horse

Visit site
Apologies if this has been posted already but I just came across a pointer to this video clip in another forum and thought it was rather curious behaviour for a horse!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=273855319457528&set=vb.100004991852981&type=2&theater

It's something that elder mare will do for me, but only when she's boxed. If I just sit quietly in the box doorway while she's munching hay, she'll often pick up a large mouthfull and drop it in my lap. For the first few times I did wonder if she'd just picked up too much to manage, but after a while it became clear that it is a deliberate act.... regular mouthfulls being much smaller. But, I've never seen her give food or forage away to our other horses.

If I lived to be a thousand I doubt I'd ever truly understand what really goes on in their heads.

soulfull

Visit site
Micah used to feed his friend the fat cob. He would pull hay out of his net, walk to his door and feed it to the cob who was stood outside without hay as he was fat

He spent so much time doing this he would not eat much of it himself lol