Dressage Interesting interview with chief rider if the Spanish Riding School about training and competition

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I saw this article today and thought it was really good https://www.horsemagazine.com/thm/2...he-spanish-school-meets-competition-dressage/

Particular interest was always have the correct seat and everything will follow and to introduce things from an earlier age and then spend years building up. He mentions that he introduces piaffe as a 5 year old and spends years improving it, which is better then introducing late (also always piaffe before passage).

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
thanks for sharing. That was a really good read. what I particularly like was the pragmatism and flexibility. Quite often dressage is a discipline that divides weirdly into Classical with a capital C and sport , as though the 2 can't co-exist. I think the way he describes his training is 100% compatible with both, at the same time.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Great interview - what an interesting man with such a refreshingly pragmatic viewpoint. Not a hint of snobbiness, just love for horses, dressage, and the whole process of training

milliepops

Visit site
That is a different rider, I don't know if he is still there or not or if the author of the article above agrees or not.
yeah
I am aware of the controversy that was surrounding the SRS particularly a few years ago, I am not sure whether the same is true now? regardless I don't think that takes anything away from what the original article was about, which is pretty categorical about rollkur etc.

shortstuff99

Visit site
yeah
I am aware of the controversy that was surrounding the SRS particularly a few years ago, I am not sure whether the same is true now? regardless I don't think that takes anything away from what the original article was about, which is pretty categorical about rollkur etc.
From what I can make out the incident in the article is from 2007, 13 years is enough time for it to have changed and with a different chief rider too.

I really liked the article and it has given me some things to think about (get a better seat ?).

milliepops

Visit site
From what I can make out the incident in the article is from 2007, 13 years is enough time for it to have changed and with a different chief rider too.

I really liked the article and it has given me some things to think about (get a better seat ?).
yeah that's what I thought. I remember lots of grumblings but it was a long time ago now.

I thought it was a great interview.
what he was saying about introducing the advanced stuff early, so the horse is relaxed about it and you have years to work on it really resonates with me. A few times lately there have been discussions about what makes a good trainer, and for me that kind of insight is an example of why a really really experienced high level trainer can set a horse and rider up for long term success.

I remember always wanting to start changes with Millie, for instance, and a previous trainer just kept telling me the canter wasn't good enough and so we weren't "allowed". by the time we got to it, she was so so established in counter canter that she had lost the natural inclination to change to save her balance.
I figured out myself that wasn't the way and that it was sometimes better to play with something earlier even if you're just establishing an idea that you're going to park and come back to later on. Current trainer is certainly more of that POV and I find it a much lower pressure way of training, because you're starting to work on stuff that is fun, but that you don't need to show to a judge for years. it was the pits trying to get changes when we had exhausted opportunities at medium but couldn't progress without them. whereas Kira had a change before she could canter round the school, and so they've always been there ready to develop.

& yes about the seat -coincidentally a friend has just signed up to that dressurfit thing, maybe she read the same article! I am looking forward to hear what she thinks of it before committing (£££££)

shortstuff99

Visit site
yeah that's what I thought. I remember lots of grumblings but it was a long time ago now.

I thought it was a great interview.
what he was saying about introducing the advanced stuff early, so the horse is relaxed about it and you have years to work on it really resonates with me. A few times lately there have been discussions about what makes a good trainer, and for me that kind of insight is an example of why a really really experienced high level trainer can set a horse and rider up for long term success.

I remember always wanting to start changes with Millie, for instance, and a previous trainer just kept telling me the canter wasn't good enough and so we weren't "allowed". by the time we got to it, she was so so established in counter canter that she had lost the natural inclination to change to save her balance.
I figured out myself that wasn't the way and that it was sometimes better to play with something earlier even if you're just establishing an idea that you're going to park and come back to later on. Current trainer is certainly more of that POV and I find it a much lower pressure way of training, because you're starting to work on stuff that is fun, but that you don't need to show to a judge for years. it was the pits trying to get changes when we had exhausted opportunities at medium but couldn't progress without them. whereas Kira had a change before she could canter round the school, and so they've always been there ready to develop.

& yes about the seat -coincidentally a friend has just signed up to that dressurfit thing, maybe she read the same article! I am looking forward to hear what she thinks of it before committing (£££££)
I started teaching my mare piaffe way before I think most others would have, but it was something she found easy and enjoyed and helped to improve other areas. I think it helps to stop you getting in a rut of endless schooling until everything was perfect before moving on. Why not try something a bit hard? Even if it's nowhere near competition ready it's something you can work on over the years.

Will check that out, never heard of it before!

milliepops

Visit site
And western horses are taught to change legs in canter almost from the off ...............................
yeah. I don't really understand why people are told to wait so long. unless it's because it can end up being a bit of a can of worms, and perhaps some trainers aren't up for that early on?
I was so relieved to just flick from one leg to the other on demand really early with kira, cos then I knew we would be able to tune them up later and could forget about it for a bit. I've done the same with Darcy - it's messy because he's not a blank canvas so has some hang ups but we have the concept and it'll be easier to pick back up.

Wheels

Visit site
yeah. I don't really understand why people are told to wait so long. unless it's because it can end up being a bit of a can of worms, and perhaps some trainers aren't up for that early on?
I was so relieved to just flick from one leg to the other on demand really early with kira, cos then I knew we would be able to tune them up later and could forget about it for a bit. I've done the same with Darcy - it's messy because he's not a blank canvas so has some hang ups but we have the concept and it'll be easier to pick back up.

I think it's always good to try early at least. I've taught quite a few over the years although with M we tried early on and changed in front but not behind (not late just carried on in cross canter until he lost his balance) so we decided to wait until he was a bit more established and had more jump. We will have a go again later this year as his canter and simple changes have improved.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes, agree with the majority of the article. Am always amused at the pearl-clutching when a young horse is asked to work a little at advanced movements. Horses are born knowing how to do everything we ask them to do, the key is to know how to ask and how much. Most horses in Spain will piaffe in hand before they are ridden.

palo1

Visit site
I started teaching my mare piaffe way before I think most others would have, but it was something she found easy and enjoyed and helped to improve other areas. I think it helps to stop you getting in a rut of endless schooling until everything was perfect before moving on. Why not try something a bit hard? Even if it's nowhere near competition ready it's something you can work on over the years.

Will check that out, never heard of it before!

Absolutely this. If you can never even experiment with a horse's attitude to and potential aptitude for harder stuff not only do you lose motivation to ever get there but when you do you may find that your horse has neither attitude nor aptitude. Just playing at a very low key way with tricky stuff shouldn't do any harm at all as long as it is not 'driven', repetitive or disciplinarian in nature. Ordinarily, after all, in jump training and stuff most people make up tiny skinnies, ditches, corners etc etc even if just poles on the ground in the form of those things and that is considered good preparation and good practice. It is what I have been playing at with my young horse even though I don't have great xc aspirations - it's just experimentation, fun, exploring a horse's talents and abilities.

shortstuff99

Visit site
Absolutely this. If you can never even experiment with a horse's attitude to and potential aptitude for harder stuff not only do you lose motivation to ever get there but when you do you may find that your horse has neither attitude nor aptitude. Just playing at a very low key way with tricky stuff shouldn't do any harm at all as long as it is not 'driven', repetitive or disciplinarian in nature. Ordinarily, after all, in jump training and stuff most people make up tiny skinnies, ditches, corners etc etc even if just poles on the ground in the form of those things and that is considered good preparation and good practice. It is what I have been playing at with my young horse even though I don't have great xc aspirations - it's just experimentation, fun, exploring a horse's talents and abilities.
Exactly! No is expecting it to be GP quality but working towards correct. My mare might not be good at much but she's got a stonking piaffe ?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I think the problem is that the higher school is not a tradition in this country (yours or mine), whereas in much of continental Europe the links to advanced riding have not been broken. We have all gone down the hunting/racing route over here; the academic/military schools have continued in the likes of Spain, Vienna, Germany, France, etc.

tristar

Visit site
4 year olds will offer flying changes sometimes, its like if they can do it, why not let them ``play`` for god sake have fun with things, i mean after all they do a change every time they go in a different direction in the field

i know i get too serious then one day suddenly decide to go try going sideways or something and think christ they already know how to.

although possibly going through the ideal preceding movement is a good idea ie counter canter, flying changes, does it really cause the damage to play where its a natural talent.

Mule

Visit site
I love seeing them do things naturally. The beast was running about playing and leg yielded along the short side of the arena fence recently. A friend's mare always does an extended trot in her field. And i love seeing the big fancy trot that they are all capable of doing when excited (that they'd deny they could do if you asked for it) :p

BBP

Visit site
I love seeing them do things naturally. The beast was running about playing and leg yielded along the short side of the arena fence recently. A friend's mare always does an extended trot in her field. And i love seeing the big fancy trot that they are all capable of doing when excited (that they'd deny they could do if you asked for it) :p
BBP does a natural Spanish walk out in the field when excited or showing off. He also does a Spanish trot on rare occasions, which is pretty cool to watch (not sure if that’s the right name, but it’s like a trotty version of Spanish walk?)

Pippity

Visit site

All mine does in the field is stuff her face...

milliepops

Visit site
All mine does in the field is stuff her face...
haha! i have one that can't be arsed with much in the way of prancing so just does dramatic hair swishes like a shampoo ad and the other does speed laps and sliding stops. Neither particularly helpful when it comes to dressage :p