Interesting letters of reply ref BareFoot in BD magazine

SusanFlynn

Visit site
Very interesting letters responding to Colin Reeves feature on why horses cant go BF previously and be worked.

If you get hold of the magazine there are two letters both very well written of owners who do go out there and ride and compete successfully with unshod horses.

I read the original feature by Colin Reeve who said yes horse can go BF but went on to say but in reality they cant if you want to ride them or work them as horses.

SusanFlynn

Visit site
Yes Lynwood and they do extremely well. KC visits often and also my friend who is a trained farrier and qualified EP. His horses also get 24 T/O and not high hardfeed diets. He has certainly come out of the box in a world very hard to change.

But it is a hard nut to crack changing what we believed was the only way to keep horses. I was one of those till 2 years ago.
I have said all the things shod horse owners say as well. But I am pleased to say I was wrong and even more pleased to have got my own horses feet turned round.
I was even told my horse could not go without shoes as he was too big a breed and needed shoes to keep his feet together they would spread and collapse and fall apart. Sadly only shoeing managed those features. We have all but lost most of those faults now, not bad for a large breed a RID.
We still have work in prgress as I wont settle for less then is possible in improvment.

That is what made those letters so much a breath of fresh air.

S_N

Visit site
Was it Active Walero or Wie Weltameyer (sp) that would shift between being shod and BF for competitions? I know that Lizze Murray competed on Madonna 141 as a BF horse for quite a while.

Stella

Visit site
I agree and its also heartwarming to hear from barefoot people who do some other things in a conventional way. My mare is barefoot (ridden on school surfaces, hacking and roads) and sound. I also go with a high fibre, no traditional mixes approach to feed, but she is clipped, rugged and trimmed by a traditional farrier
shocked.gif

Just as traditional people can preach, so can those at the other end of the spectrum. To some it is an outrage for a farrier to trim rather than an equine podiatrist. I don't like being lectured by either camp
frown.gif

I digress though, its good to see the debate happening in dressage
smile.gif

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I also go with a high fibre, no traditional mixes approach to feed, but she is clipped, rugged and trimmed by a traditional farrier
shocked.gif

Just as traditional people can preach, so can those at the other end of the spectrum. To some it is an outrage for a farrier to trim rather than an equine podiatrist. I don't like being lectured by either camp
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Well said!

MagicMelon

Visit site
My horses are done by a traditional farrier. 2 of mine currently work unshod. They have never had shoes on and I would love to keep it that way! Horses CAN work easily just with a normal trim - they dont need a special (bloomin' expensive) trim! I think they key though is that they dont get used to shoes or they seem to become dependent on them like I doubt my TB x could go unshod simply because he's always been shod! (plus I need them to put studs in for eventing....!)

Gingernags

Visit site
Horses for courses really isn't it though. I'd love my mare to be barefoot but we have tried it and with the terrain we have she can't manage it - had a traditional farrier at the time but he was in favour of trying it for her. Sisters mare has barefoot periods but has struggled lately when we've started hacking her again so she's shod in front - back feet are doing well barefoot.

She's hoping to keep her youngster barefoot - she should do well as she's half welsh - should have decent feet!

It depends on the discipline too - I'd have no reservations about dressage, endurance and hacking on a horse with decent feet - staying barefoot. But for SJ/Eventing/XC I'd want shoes for studs.

Totally agree about I wish the fanatics at either end of the scale would quit preaching and arguing - there is no wrong and right answer - its totally individual!

clipclop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Totally agree about I wish the fanatics at either end of the scale would quit preaching and arguing - there is no wrong and right answer - its totally individual!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes, yes!! It's individual horses and individual people.

jemima

Visit site
We have ours go barefoot where we can. None of them are shod behind. We are hoping the AA mare will compete barefoot. Our farrier encourages us to use shoes as little as possible - suits me with regard to cost! But at the end of the day it's personal choice, that and what suits the horse.