Interesting problem- ideas please!

wispagold

Visit site
I have come across an interesting issue that I thought you guys might be able to help me out with.

Bit of background: I work for a ruminant feed mill and a friend of our MD has a horse. This friend keeps the horse in England over the summer and then takes it over to Majorca for the winter.

Apparently the horse is as good as gold in England but within a few days of being in Majorca starts to really get upset. The horse gets skittish, chucks people off, very out of character compared to how it behaves in England. This happens every year. They take all their forage out with them (hay etc) and their hard food. Work load is also similar.

The only changes that the owner can think of are the water supply which comes from a well and the grazing. We have an on site lab and are running a mineral assay on the water samples and soil, there is also a plant that they have bought back with them.

This is the plant- we are also sending this off for testing
plant1a.png

plant2.jpg

Has anyone any idea what this plant might be (it smells kind of minty) or have any idea what might be causing the change in behaviour? I don't know what the climate in Majorca is like having never been there. I was wondering whether it might be Magnesium or whether the water is very acidic which might be causing problems like ulcers? I would have thought grazing would be sparse so might be a problem with forage intake as I am not sure what the feeding regime is.

I think I need some more info so if there are any questions I should be asking I will speak to the owner on Monday.

Any ideas?!

fabscd

Visit site
What sort of environment is it kept in in Majorca? I mean, is it going from a yard with other horses around in England to no company at all in Majorca (doesn't even have to be that extreme, just that horses are quite sensitive to their environment) If it is stressed within a couple of days of being there and the majority of feedstuff is the same i would be looking at environment rather than diet for the cause.

Traveller59

Visit site
Could the horse be sensitive to crab flies or similar nasties? I know our horses used to go loopy when they lived in Spain.

Roody2

Visit site
Hmmm interesting. Looking at the photos I think the plant looks like mint.
Curious to know what the lab analysis comes back with.
How long does the horse stay skittish for, is it a winter thing- a lot of horses have special moments as the weather changes.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Could be flies, the horses in Italy are swarmed by them and at one point the quietest little kids pony went absolutely crazy because he got a crab fly in his sheath.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Send a sample of the plant to RIHS at Wisley - am sure they will be able to help identify.
Id also look at (as has been mentioned) water & types of fly, but also bedding, cleaning products (to wash saddle cloths in etc) and the woodwork surrounding the stable & paddock as might possibly have a mite in that he reacts to.
Also, is the stable left empty while the horse is away? Perhaps they might get it treated with an anti-fungal deep clean just in case

Good luck in finding the cuprit!

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
My horse alternates between 2 different yards. At one, she is 'riding for the disabled' steady. At the other, she's a nightmare to even handle, let alone ride. She has different field companions at one yard (think different species altogether!) and they really upset her. (she's only there for field rest though, before anyone thinks I'm cruel putting her in an environment she hates). Might be something along similar lines maybe?