Internal stables

Goldenstar

Visit site
So the big decision is getting very near .
The barn has a new roof .
So stage two is to choose and order the internal fittings and decide how to lay it out .
I have narrowed it down to three choices
A . Internal stables built by my builder.
B . Monarch
C. Lodden

I am leaning towards the monarch Victorian for two stables and one that is full width of the building that will just have a door .
Who has used these curved front boxes do the horses settle well in them .
I do have three other stables that are solid tradional loose boxes which can be used for shy horses but I am just curious how you have find them in use .
Also
How do the horses get on with side petitions being barred not solid it would look much nicer bared but I worry about bullying I had a problem with this once with one horse who was not thriving then I twigged he was being intimidated by his stable mate next door.
Also anyone got sliding outside widows for their horses ?
All experiances gratefully received .
I have been thinking about this so long my head is spinning but I need to get it right .

Louby

Visit site
The yard I was previously on had beautiful internal stables with bars between the horses. It looked lovely but lots of the horses didnt like having no privacy and would launch at their neighbours, kicking walls, even biting the bars. If I had the choice I would definately not have the bars between each stable. I had to hang a rug over mine to stop my horse booting the dividing wall. I think windows to the outside is a great idea, (ours had small individual tack rooms at the back so no window outside) as although in Winter it was great being dry and away from the wind, I did think it was a bit prison like for the horses. Ours had sliding doors to save on space with built in anti weave bars. The doors were great.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The yard I was previously on had beautiful internal stables with bars between the horses. It looked lovely but lots of the horses didnt like having no privacy and would launch at their neighbours, kicking walls, even biting the bars. If I had the choice I would definately not have the bars between each stable. I had to hang a rug over mine to stop my horse booting the dividing wall. I think windows to the outside is a great idea, (ours had small individual tack rooms at the back so no window outside) as although in Winter it was great being dry and away from the wind, I did think it was a bit prison like for the horses. Ours had sliding doors to save on space with built in anti weave bars. The doors were great.

Thank you for your reply that's exactly what I am worried about .
Each horse will have an out side window but they look North so I will have to close them in bad weather .

LeannePip

Visit site
One yard i worked on had a mix of both so some stables had the bars for those who liked the company and some were fully boarded for the colts and those who liked their privacy. It worked well but if you are worried i think probably best to go for the boarded option. In a bard they can see each other a lot easier anyway so maybe not so important?

How many stables/ whats the layout of the barn?

Equi

Visit site
My stables have bars inbetween, and back when i had horses that could see over them it was great to reassure my very anxious TB that his stable buddy was still there, but at the same time, he knew when tack went on and thus would get anxious earlier. I feel if he had a solid wall and closing top door he would not have been as anxious!

They are good for ventilation though, and to keep cool. But also lack heat if needed haha

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's an old barn a rectangle 20 feet wide .
Horses access by a sliding door on the north side into an area were we will groom and wash the stables will look south each horse has a window on the north side each stable one stable will be 12 feet one way and the full width ( 20feet ) of the building with a door on east side to a hard standing .
The next two stables will be 14 x14 .looking on the south wall of the building with a six feet corridor .

doodle

Visit site
We have bars between the stables. Most of the horses seem fine with this and prefer it. We have one mare who kicks her walls hard. She is I. The end box so just her field mate on the other side. Her bars have been closed off with tarpaulins but hasn't fixed the issue. But that is 1 horse out of 20.

quizzie

Visit site
I went through the same thoughts when I put up my barn 20 years ago!!....So some of my ideas might not be true/available now?

I decided against the open curved front stables, as I had youngstock, as was concerned one could try to jump out

I went for lodden, as the partitions were more substantial, and the bars were thicker and closer spaced....again due to the large youngstock!

I have bars on the front of my stables, so they can all see each other. Then the partition walls have a 2 foot area of bars in the middle, so they can talk to each other, but still have some privacy when eating etc.....It is very easy to insert plywood to block this off if you have one that doesn't like it.

I have opening windows, with a panel of louvres above, so can still ensure good ventilation when the windows are shut in winter.

I have had a variety of homebred and bought horses in these stables, and all have settled well, including a friends horse who apparently hated being stabled.....calm as anything!

Britestar

Visit site
Mine are solid walls. I have a couple who can't bear anyone looking into their personal space. Previously I had 6ft wooden partitons, and they kicked them to bits.

Now have 8ft walls, and everyone is happy. I would never have bars as I think it stresses some horses out.

ihatework

Visit site
I wouldn't have bars between the stables. Have seen far to many unsettled horses by it. If you have the option then talking grills that can be closed as required would be my preference.

spacefaer

Visit site
I used to have a rear window with a stable door to shut over the winter. My father fitted a removable perspex sheet that meant the horse could look out and it let light into the stable too, without getting the weather blowing/raining/snowing in.

HashRouge

Visit site
Worked on an SJ yard for 18 months and we had monarch stables with bars between them - not one horse was bothered by it. In fact, we had some of the calmest competition horses I've ever come across and I do think it was from having that constant social interaction.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I used to have a rear window with a stable door to shut over the winter. My father fitted a removable perspex sheet that meant the horse could look out and it let light into the stable too, without getting the weather blowing/raining/snowing in.

I am hoping to have see through sliding windows .

Goldenstar

Visit site
Worked on an SJ yard for 18 months and we had monarch stables with bars between them - not one horse was bothered by it. In fact, we had some of the calmest competition horses I've ever come across and I do think it was from having that constant social interaction.

And that's my dilemma when Tatts was in plaster one of the things that got him trough was being tied nose to nose with the horse in the stable next door with bars in between .

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I have bars between my stables but then I have a very stable herd (pair now) and they're happy-helps ventilation too I think. Having worked on yards with them, more horses like them than not ime, we'd get the odd one that was unsettled but then they were often not near the ones they were turned out with etc. not much help really! For myself I would always choose them, if I was designing a livery yard I'd leave myself with options if possible.

HashRouge

Visit site
And that's my dilemma when Tatts was in plaster one of the things that got him trough was being tied nose to nose with the horse in the stable next door with bars in between .
The yard I was on did occasionally put hard board up between the stables if they had a stallion in and a mare next door. Or you could put curtains up :p

Evie91

Visit site
My old girl was stabling in fab American barn, with bars. I thought it great that horses could see, touch each other. She hated it!! Would lunge at the bars, ended up boarding over the bars and she was fine, so much happier, all lunging about stopped.
When she came home, I asked builder for extra high dividing wall so her neighbour couldn't look at her!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's really hard to decide we have a settled yard not a great deal of change bars would look better and I do have other places for the horse to go .
Ahhhhhh
And I still have the shelter and hard standing to think about .

mynutmeg

Visit site
personally I'd have solid walls but my mare hates bars - even when next door to her field mates she lunges and gets very stressed as she likes her space

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The partial talk grilles in my stables work well. Horses can interact through the grilles or can retire to the privacy of the rear of their boxes. It would be easy to board over the grilles altogether if necessary, but I've never had to.

There are also louvred windows to front (north) and rear.

Pilib

Visit site
I have Loddon stables with bars and they are fantastic, great customers service from them! We have the recycled plastic boards, they are amazing, maintenance free and amazingly sturdy. Really recommend them x

claret09

Visit site
where I am at present they have bars - j hates them. he has rugs along the partition. he currently has no neighbour which suits him. he also has rugs hung up around his manager - he prefers to eat in private. hope that helps

Equi

Visit site
Just to add i have a split stable for my littles, its a low partiton so they can see/groom over it, but again get more stressed if the 1st horse leaves (it hasnt got a walk way) whereas the horse in the next stable where they cant see may have perked ears and may watch the door, but doesnt get stressed. At feed time they are okay, but if they have a paddy with each other they will swipe and ears and kick at each other, the others beyond the wall obviously can't do that.

I looooove the look of the old Victorian bar stables, but i think horses in such small spaces already feel very threatened, cause they cant get away from the threat, so full walls are always best. curve fronts are again gorgeous, but for safety a normal full bar front with a normal door or a weave door is best.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Most of the equines I have now panic at the thought of being alone and so the bars between the stables are good for them. I do put friends next to each other and only have one stable that has boxes on both sides.

A compromise would be every other wall solid so that an occupant always has a safe side of the stable. I love the plastic boarded walls they are easy to maintain and power wash. They also absorb kicks and do not splinter and break like wooden boards.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have Loddon stables with bars and they are fantastic, great customers service from them! We have the recycled plastic boards, they are amazing, maintenance free and amazingly sturdy. Really recommend them x

What colour do you have I liked the look of the Biege ones .
The trouble is Lodden have not even managed to get me a brochure get so I am a bit cautious about using them .

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have grills between stables in solid, full-height walls. The horses like them, I've only had to board them for one horse who was a tad nutty. I have stallions next to each other, and this pic is of a stallion next to a mare: they all get along.
B%20meeting%20deseado_zpsn5tjwsd6.jpg

rachk89

Visit site
Our yard has brick stables with bars on top. All of the horses are fine with this, yeah you get the occasional glare and teeth baring but they immediately go back to ignoring each other.

Worst I saw was when my horse moved there and one of the horses next to him has a real issue with new horses moving in next to him, he gets quite territorial. He was lunge at mine at times, not that mine cared. He stuck his head over the top of the bars to say hi to the angry horse baring his teeth at him. They are now best friends and hang around together in their field. That behaviour only lasted a few weeks too, that horse gets over it each time he just doesn't like change I guess.

Guess really you just have to move them around to where it makes sense. Keep those isolated if possible who dont like company. My horse loves his stable, he's got his buddy on one side, another horse next to him who has lovely tasty hay he can steal if its put up high enough (I do move it if someone forgets my horse is a thief) and a mare across from him who adores him. Happiest horse in there I think.

Dont have a picture of ours but they look like these without the arched brick bits in the middle.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AmY_FZe6GKQ/VFeGvmpoAaI/AAAAAAAAAXc/AG-xKN5IBx4/s1600/Dream%2Bstables.jpg

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
I have one incredibly friendly boy and one grumpy old git. We had to move the grumpy one to the end of the run of stables and board up the bars (easily done with some ply wood and cable ties). The friendly one and his next door neighbour would probably rather the bars weren't there so they could groom each other all night! At least with bars you have the option. of boarding them up if you need to. If you have solid walls it's more difficult to knock a hole through!

ponies4ever

Visit site
I had both indoor with bars and outdoor boarded at my last yard. My mare could certainly not be inside as she kicked through the boards twice. was much much happier outside despite very little company. Did find that there were quick a few that would try and bite through the bars. Sliding doors are great though!