Intersting..spruce meadows

Skhosu

Visit site
can't remember what they said, just saw her round and it was awful (pulling, kicking poles going!)
They were like, she did this wrong, and that wrong (all correct) and it wasn't a great debut.
Unlike the UK commentators who spend the entire time going on about how wonderful she is, they had no more interest in her because of her name, but paid more attention to her ability and treated her like a YOUNG rider, which is what she is. They were not really nasty, but you just got a feeling, you know?
Anyone else see it?

Tia

Visit site
Pretty much every Canadian I know, has never even heard of the Whittakers.....so I'm not surprised they didn't treat her like she was something special, because over here she isn't.

Skhosu

Visit site
I think it's good though, more down to earth. Although I believe her uncle was 2nd in the class.
Haven't seen John over there as much as Michael though?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I know alot of young girls people worship Ellen Whittaker & this opinion may not be popular but it is my opinion. Ellen Whittaker is a good rider, she wins classes but I don't believe she is in sympathy with the horse at all. I've watched her over the years & yes she gets results but she is so rough on the horses mouth. She yanks & saws them in the mouth most of the time. Next time you see her ride you watch for this & I believe you'll all see it. Then look at her uncle John, it's a totally different story, he has a feel for the horse. She is a role model for young riders but I hope they don't copy this aspect of her riding.

KarenX

Visit site
I think the commentators at Spruce Meadows are much more critical about everybody. I was very surprised the other week when I was watching and they said one of the riders (cant remember who now) was lifting their horse and was an agressive rider! They're not very subtle, but it is interesting!
ooo.gif

Dovorian

Visit site
I agree with the 'role model' thing as I've seen it within my own little circle and a couple of teenagers have been firmly advised not to follow the style of riding - clothes and earring are fine, but not at the expense of the horse!!!

paintsplat05

Visit site
i've got the DVD of Unex Towerlands Masters and in a JO she was yanking and fighting so hard on Henri de Here's mouth he was shaking his head around so much! I agree with TSH John's riding looks effortless he makes it all look sooooo easy!

MagicMelon

Visit site
No offence, but she isnt special in the UK either is she?! I mean, its not like she's a Zara Philips of the SJ world is it? She's not been on the Olympic team or anything. Of course, she has been getting brilliant results for such a young rider. However, she HAS had the best start in life hasnt she?! I think that dude from Egypt (was it Egypt?!) who did so well at HOYS at 17yrs is far more talented, he has natural raw talent.

The only reason Ellen is such a big name is because she's a girl, is a Whitaker and has the long blonde hair so she's hard to miss amongst the usual old men!

I thought she rode the BP Cup terribly! Yanking, pulling, pony club kicking on top of the bank, smacking her horse when it was HER fault he ran out!

SJFAN

Visit site
Just for the record, the surname is Whitaker, not Whittaker. While agreeing that John almost always makes it look as if he is doing almost nothing - I've had the pleasure of watching him since he was a teenager and he has usually made it look as if he and his horse are one entity - I have to disagree with the view that Ellen is constantly sawing at her horses' mouths. Henri de Here is very fizzy and fights for his head. Of course she's not perfect - nobody is! Nor is it true that she has yet to achieve anything - she was on the European Championship team last year but her horse (with which she had a clear round in the Hickstead Derby in 2004, finishing 2nd to John) was suddenly taken ill. She is just one of the best bunch of YRs GB has had for ages. I absolutely agree that Abdel Said, who is based and trained in the Netherlands is an outstanding talent - he rode eye-catching rounds at the Towerlands CSI last year when he couldn't stay for the final presentations because he had to catch a flight home so that he could go to school the next day.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
All the Whitakers have ridden with the Rockwood pony club, as did Oliver Townend. In fact the Whitaker family farm and the Townend yards were within sight of each other, about two miles apart as the crow flies. I'm always surprised that the equestrian press don't make more of this. I think it is very good press for the Rockwood.

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I watched the Spruce Meadows this morning and I noticed Ellen yanking at her horse's mouth, she looked pretty cross when she was pulling him up. It wasn't very pretty.

Having said that, when i saw her in a couple of puissance type classes recently on that big dark bay stallion (Locarnio ????) I thought she rode really quietly and still - I remember saying to my sister how nice I thought she looked coming into the fences.

Maybe the horse she was riding in the speed class is particularly tricky or something and that is why she was being so firm with him?

xEMPx

Visit site
I think if she can sucessfully compete around 1.50/1.60 courses week in and week out and being one of the top ranked riders - she isnt doing bad!! If she was being rough all the time her horses woulnt perform like they do. She has alot to learn but keep up the good work, she brings back glamour to show jumping!!!

Skhosu

Visit site
About the egyptian guy, was he at the NI international horse show?
Thought he was quite rough, as was one of the irish arm guys.
Love the older Whittakers (however you spell it!) and liked Tim Stockdale (never really seen him compete live before)

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think if she can sucessfully compete around 1.50/1.60 courses week in and week out and being one of the top ranked riders - she isnt doing bad!! If she was being rough all the time her horses woulnt perform like they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmmmm will be interesting to see just how long they DO keep performng for her and I would say she is VERY lucky to have the groom riders she does (ohhh controversial)

KarenX

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmmmm will be interesting to see just how long they DO keep performng for her and I would say she is VERY lucky to have the groom riders she does (ohhh controversial)

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are her groom riders??

SJFAN

Visit site
17 year-old Abdel Said was at Belfast. I can only say that the few rounds I've seen him ride have been impressively smooth. Even the very best riders are not perfect all the time - even John Whitaker. If you've always liked him and Michael, I find it strange that you can't manage to spell the name - it's a lot easier than riding 1.40 -1.60m courses!

Weezy

Visit site
LOL oh sorry no I dont know their names (that wasnt the controversial bit I meant!) Only the horses are ridden very well at home and I have been told that her grooms spend a lot of time calming the horses back down and getting them sweet again - but am not sure how true that is!

KarenX

Visit site
I really dont think she has any "groom" riders tbh..

I find that quite difficult to believe about the grooms spending a lot of time calming them down and getting them sweet again as they are all very busy! Big yard..........!
tongue.gif

Karen
smile.gif

SJFAN

Visit site
I really don't think that it's a good idea to post this type of unsubstantiated gossip on a public forum. You must be aware of the back-biting that goes on in this and other fields of endeavour. Ellen has been consistently successful, and usually a pleasure to watch, since she was a small child. Like any professional rider she needs a good support team - the best know how important their grooms are in maintaining the well-being of their horses, and only happy horses perform consistently well over long periods.