Interval training advice please

Marquire

Visit site
I am about to do my first ever intro in 3 weeks time *
crazy.gif

It was quite a late decision to enter (i.e. Monday!
blush.gif
) so I only got around to thinking about interval training last night. My boy is reasonably fit (I think) as we do a lot of schooling, SJ training and hacking (up to 2 hours lots of trot and canter).

Way back in the mists of my brain I could remember something about cantering 3 minutes, walking 3 minutes so we last night off we went to the field warmed up with 15 mintues walking, trotting with a short canter on both reins and then did 4 sessions of canter 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes.

It was a good forward going canter but not galloping by any means. My boy was a bit sweaty by the end but wasn't puffing at any point (not so the rider-LOL). I walked him off for 10 minutes afterwards and he didn't feel particularly tired.

Is this enough canter, too much or about right? Should I continue doing this a couple of times a week up until the event?

I don't want to get this wrong so I'd appreciate some advise from you experts out there.

Thankies!

connie1288

Visit site
I dont do any fast work with my intro horses, PN only if v fat and lazy and novice horses start with 3/4 mins cantering 2 walking 3/4 canter 2 walk 3/4 canter.
If I go on the gallops (or the field we used last year) I hack down there (walk/trot) and straight into canter. Then walk home.

saskia295

Visit site
Oh I feel quite harsh now!! I do 4 x 3 minute canters but with 1 minute of walk in between! He seems fine on it
crazy.gif
and was barely puffing when we finished our event on Sunday. I only do it once a week though.

kerilli

Visit site
it totally depends on breed, age and type of horse, but tbh i wouldn't do interval training for Intro. as long as you are doing enough cantering in your schooling and jumping work, i'm sure he'll be fit enough to canter strongly-ish for 5 mins max! tbh most work ends up being 'interval training' anyway... e.g. if you warm up, do a few fences, walk, get them changed, canter again, jump a bit more, repeat, that's interval training! ditto dressage, if you do faster work and then walk for a bit, repeatedly, it's the same effect.

SpottedCat

Visit site
The only time I've felt the need to interval train was last year when I wanted my horse to come straight out at Novice after the winter. Intro and PN, nope, normal work should be enough, and I think the first run or two are usually fittening ones anyway because it takes that many to get a feel for it again (the pros are just lucky enough to do that at the first event on several horses!).

I certainly wouldn't interval train for intro - what you do anyway in terms of schooling/hacking/training should be enough, there is an immense amount of faff time factored into the intro XC speed!

ihatework

Visit site
If your horse has a naturally forward canter then interval training shouldn't really be needed. A couple of longish/fast hacks mixed into your regular work should be sufficient.

All horses are different, I have a very horizontal 5yo that hasn't learnt to gallop yet, he has done a couple of Intro's and hasn't been able to make the time!! At this stage he hasn't done any particular canter training but it is something that is creeping up the list of must do's with him.

This year he won't interval train, but I will get him behind a lead and get him galloping. I think he will be one that needs interval training next year as 6yo/PN though!!