Interval training.

sassyequine

Visit site
I am in the process of getting a new horse fit to event and am interested in your experiences of interval training. Also a suggested interval session? I have googled it with little success.

Many Thanks

ChestnutMonty

Visit site
for what level of eventing?
smile.gif

sassyequine

Visit site
Up to Intermediate, not every weekend but we are out competing every weekend. I have always got them fit using the usual carefully planned methods but am interested in this as I have heard some good experiences. Main problem is finding a recommend programme!

connie1288

Visit site
Where i worked we did 3x5/6's for intermediate with 2 min walk in between, upped this to 7/8's for CCI**. We did this weekly if running and again if not cmpeteing

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
The idea is to build up fitness by pushing again before recovery. If you wait too long then the horse has recovered and will not be using the method. If you push too soon the horse may be stressed.
I used to use it by hacking to a gallop so he was really warmed up and then at first we did three sessions of 3 minutes and pulled up slowly as this is often when damage is done.We recovered for 2 minutes in between. This was built up to more work and less recovery time over about a month . We used to do this every 3-4 days. This is about 20 years ago when it was relatively new .I don't use it now as don't have the facilities near enough to hack to . Also it is a bit controversial and not really necessary for the level we do.

millitiger

Visit site
we used to do 5-7 minute canters x 4 with 2 minutes walking in between for Intermediate/Advanced horses depending on where they were running, breeding etc (heavier horses need more than TB's).

my boy used to do 4 minute canters x 4 with 2 minute intervals for Novice but he is half Appaloosa and was going to tracks like Weston Park which is very long and testing. i also used to take him up the gallops with the Badminton horses as he loved tanking along after them!

Also great for getting YOUR legs fit for eventing too!