Intrevenus Injection.

WallisM

Visit site
Anyone had to have the vet to sedate your horse to clip ?
Might have to get my lad done and was wanting to know how sucessful it is and any stories you have good or bad.
Thank You
x
wink.gif

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
It is probably the most reliable way of calming a horse for clipping although there was a pretty heated debate about it on here recently. The only negative you may find is some horses sweat with it which makes the clipping more difficult but for a very difficult horse to clip it is the only way in my opinion. I have seen someone hospitalised as the result of a horse flipping with a twitch on so I don't trust them any more.

samp

Visit site
We used to I/V sedate at the vets and people woould bring there horses in and clip at the practice. It is very effective, however some horses do sweat up on it - so not always ideal

filly190

Visit site
I have recently had the vet come to sedate my two horses to do their back teeth and the same would apply for clipping. It was the only way they could be treated safely and to get the job done correctly.

For clipping, as it is not medical I would hesitate from sedation if at all possible. You can use a massarger to get them used to the noise and vibration and this works very well.

Obviously you know your horses and situation and quite clearly you are giving this a lot of thought. My advise would be, do what you think is best.

WallisM

Visit site
Hey I must say you's are all great when I ask my questions I always get great response so thank you !
smile.gif

Well you's might have read my post yesyerday about clipping my ned, I twitched him which normally works but it didn't so went and bought some oral sedative that didn't work but vet has advised me to give him a little more and try again b4 using him.
Going to try again on Saturday if no joy then I will have to get the vet. As at the moment Jim looks like he has had a fight with Edward Scissor hands and lost dreadfully
shocked.gif
, I will not ride him or take him anywhere as he looks awful.
mad.gif

Thank You all again !
x
wink.gif

Tempi

Visit site
my mare has a mix of 3 types of sedation (dont ask me what each is as i havent got my vet sheet with me) but the mix she has stops her from sweating which is great!

She is being sedated on friday for her second clip of the season and will have one more clip probably end of january time.

She has to be fully sedated as she is seriously ticklish so you cant do her stifle or her belly, you also cant clip higher than her shoulder!! ive done all the electric toothbrush things and shes fine with that, but she dosent even like my little hand clippers, she totaly freaks out. its safer for me and her to have her fuly sedated. she has to be fully clipped as she competes BD every weekend and is in hard work.

WallisM

Visit site
So it deffinatley works then !
It is so annoying I just want to do a chaser clip with the neck off so wont take me long.
When I am telling people (non horsey) they laugh but I don't find it funny. But you guys have been Grrrrreat !
X

merlinsquest

Visit site
I had Merlin sedated last week for shock wave therapy and so clipped at the same time, he didnt sweat this time but did when sedated for the x-rays the week before???

He is seriously dangerous to clip au-natural so I avoid it other times (just convenient this time).

However be careful, even though the vet topped him up, I did not realise that he could go from looking unconcious on his feet, to, when we got the clippers just under his throat, going OH MY GOD I KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we stopped!!! very quickly!!!

Being shock waved again tomorrow so I can do the rest!!!