intro or pre-nov?

I_A_P

Visit site
well iv now done 2 intros, and i have come 9th and 4th.
my dressage is improvng all of the time and if i hadnt done the test wrong and they had added my marks correctly i would have had very low 30's possibly high 20's.

xc is not a problem, and i have never had an issue with her and she has jumped 3 intro courses absolutely fine with no hesitaion at anything.

im wondering to go and do burnham market in about a months time, and maybe try a pre-novice. i did a hunter trial there earlier in the year and half of the course was intro, and the other pre-novice and she was good and we came 6th. so now im wondering if i should go for something a little more ofa challenge or do an intro again?

sj wise is not her strongest oint and despite a lovely round on saturday we had 4 down!! but she is very capable of jumping the height. we jump slightly bigger than 3ft at home/lessons anyway so i think i would be okay jumping at that height in the ring, and again it may make her put in some effort!!

im going to have a chat with my instructor about it, but just wondered your thoughts. i know its ahrd to tell without knowing her or me, but first impressions?

how different is pre-novice sj compared to intro?
grin.gif

siennamum

Visit site
I think the SJ is the biggest step up tbh. Having said that' it's easy to overcome. Aim to go and do a couple of discoveries on a ticket 1st, it will be pretty much the same height and width etc. you'll be much more confident then.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
it does sound as if you will be ready for PN as you are doing well at intro but like above go BSJA and jump soem discovery classes and maybe a 1.05 open if there is one and see how you do

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
As the other two have said aim to get some showjumping in at discovery or 1.05 height as it is a bit pointless having decent dressage and clear cross country if your sj is not up to scratch. I have taken my boy right back to basics as he was struggling with the show jumping and it has affected his confidence so until he is jumping round discos confidently I am not shelling out any more money to go to events. Good Luck

Reashi

Visit site
I just want to say that even though you lost 6 marks for going wrong in your test and before you said that you would have got 31 instead of 37 if you hadnt of made the two mistakes, this is wrong as its percentage, not marks. You would have probably got 35/36 instead. I can work out what you would have got if you let me know what mark you got and the total marks available for the test.

MagicMelon

Visit site
PN is fine, have a go. Its not nearly as scary as you think. Even if you do end up not getting amazing dressage or SJ, at least you can have a blast round the XC and you'll know what you need to improve on.

Like the others have said, work on the SJ - go and do as much BSJA as you can (preferable to unaffiliated just because the tracks are better built, up to height etc.).

I_A_P

Visit site
reashi- thanks i realised the other day, on top of that they have also missed out giving me 6 marks for a movemeny which was a 10 x 2 movement, and only gave me one mark. i also know that her flatwork has a long way ti imporve, and is doing so all the time, so its one of those things im furiously working on!!
im not tto worried about that pareticular mark as it was one of the worst days condition wise it could have possibly been, and she was more tense than usual, and i was more nervous after knwing that i didnt know the test as wel as i did the one i was excpecting to do. im not expectng to win or anything i just want to have a go. but they sj is my main worry.l iv jumped 3ft3 classes unaff. but there is little bsja around here and i dont really want to be spending more money on affiliating for a day even like BE as its already so expensive. i may do some BSJA over the winter for practise over sj. i have no idea where they do bsja around my area apart from forest egde in swaffham (im near beccles in noroflk)

i know that her sj is her weakest phase, and i am so so dissapointed with her sj on saturday as it was a foot perfect round and is till cant understand why we had them down!! thanks guys.

maybe i will leave PN and maybe try it next year

MagicMelon

Visit site
Sometimes horses try harder over bigger fences, so it might do her good to move up to PN. Hopefully she'll put more effort in and possibly jump better SJ? I find it you stay small for too long, some horses get cocky and simply dont bother picking their feet up! It really isnt much of a step up to be honest.

I_A_P

Visit site
thanks, i have decided to do the intro(well 99% decided lol) and hopefully that will b the last one, take her out sj and more practise in lessons (went fantastically today
smile.gif
big grins on my face) and try some BSJA on a day ticket and possibly plan to do little downham right at the end of the season as a pre-nov..otherwise wait till next year.

thanks for your help

I_A_P

Visit site
well i might after burnham i will only have 1 day ticket left, so may well just see how she is feeling by the end of the season
smile.gif