introducing a double

L

lilym

i am going to introduce moo to a double, she is going nicely in a french link snaffle (not bad considering i was riding in a waterford last year!) and i want to smarten us up for shows, i have never had a horse go as well as her before, hence never used a double, so am i right in thinking that i introduce it by schooloing her in it little and often, i will still hack/jump/dressage in the snaffle, but i would really like her to look more the part in the showing that we do and hopefully tweak up her way of going and get her lighter still.

horsesrock

New User
Visit site
hi

Firstly You say your horse is going nicely in a snaffle but is she going correctly? i.e working from behind over her back into a light even contact? Double bridles can really hinder work if horse not ready.
However saying that if your sure you and her are ready i would suggest lightly riding in school without touching curb rein. If she's happy then hack for a week in it again without touching curb and then gradually introduce to school work.
If your a bit unsure or hesistant about riding with two reins then you could add an extra pair of reins to your snaffle to help you practise holding double reins.

Hope this has helped

x

Parkranger

Visit site
Why change if she's going well in a snaffle - just to look the part???? Just my opinion but I say the simpler the better!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Might be worth remembering that you can show in a pelham. Not all horses are happy in a double, as some mouths just can't accomodate two bits.

horsesrock

New User
Visit site
Have to agree with vic and pie. Like i was trying to say too many people stick a double bridle on without really understanding the actions of both bits and the job a double bridle does.Is it worth spoiling the work you've obviously put in with your horse for just tryin to look flasher??

Ginn

Visit site
Perhaps try with a pelham or rugby pelham to start with so you get use to riding with 2 reins - thats what I did. If your horse is happy in a snaffle then just ride off that rein - don't use the curb rein as this may hinder your horses movement and schooling. Pehaps you could invest in some lessons with a good instructor when you first try - make sure you don't make problems for yourself before you've started!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I have just introduced the horse that I am riding to a double. She's goes really well in it actually.

We popped it in and I rode in the school for 20 mins or so on a fairly loose rein - just letting her get used to the feel of it. Then I gradually started picking up the contact. She wasn't concerned at all about it - and have been riding her regularly in it ever since (about a fortnight now).

The horse is a big girl - with a good sized mouth, so has plenty of room for both bits.

I have also put two differnt types of rein on as it helps me remember which goes where!!
wink.gif
wink.gif