Introducing a new dog into our house of two.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Not really sure how best to word this so please bear with me, I'll try to keep it short and factual... Hmm, that said, I do ramble on at the best of times.

Ok, first dog Pepper, bitch spayed approaching 3 rescued from the streets, was living in a pack environment, low ranking. Good temperament with people although a little wary of strangers. Not all all dominant over people. Will, however attack female dogs on walks, never males. Only walked on a lead since no opportunity to allow off. Always reprimanded for aggression and providing you can see it coming, voice alone will have her lower her tail and look away.

Bumble, 2 yrs, also street dog but has been with us from a puppy spayed. Friendly but very sharp, doesn't trust strangers. Is friendly to other dogs but if Pepper gives the signal or flies at another dog, she will join in.

Thenpairnof them if they get the chance will have a go at a low ranking dog.

Arnold, wandered into our life on Saturday. Under 6 months and has been castrated. So far very easy going and settling into life as a house dog.

So, that is very, very brief. I now have a pack and would really appreciate any and all advice about how to keep a happy house hold. I have crated the new lad, he has accepted this well, howls for half an hour before settling to sleep but then remains quiet until we all get up in the morning. I feed him in the crate, he takes himself in there when he feels the need for peace.

Problems so far have been, Pepper Growling and going for him, Bumble joins in. This has happened twice but it was on the first day. I have changed things to help ie, Arnold is fed in crate, not allowed out till all foods consumed and bowls removed. Absolutely no dog is hand fed.

Barking at the gate, led to Pepper going for Arnold and Bumble was about to join in, watering can over the aggressors stopped it in its tracks. I have now taken over gate, no one is allowed to go and bark at the outside dogs.

It's a different situation to home in that we have semi feral packs living outside. It's a. Challenge when walking but we have established ourselves as people not to be attacked and this includes our dogs, in fact our local pack often joins us on our walks. All dogs are happy with this although Pepper will not tolerate certain members coming too close.

It's all very new territory for me and OH, although dog owners for years coping with all the variables here makes us feel like brand new dog owners, so, if anyone has any advice or tips on how best to manage we would be extremely grateful.

V.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
No idea V but with regards to being in the house i think you are doing the right stuff with the crate giving him and girls time to get used to each other with 'space':)

As far as walking is concerned would it be worth walking with a water pistol, water spray to stop anything from kiciking off?:confused::eek:

We need a piccy of Arnold:D