Introducing a youngster to traffic....

MillionDollar

Visit site
So whats the best way? I want to introduce my driving pony (youngster) to traffic. I was thinking of leading him with my sis riding on one of our bombproof NF ponies to accompany him?
Then long reining when he gets used to this, then long reining with harness on and finally with the cart. Doing all of this first with bombproof pony till he gets used to it.

what do you think? And what do you do?

Thanks in advance
grin.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
Pretty much what you said. Lead first with company then longrein. Until hes happen with the traffic, as it will be different with blinkers on. Then get him going out by himself with out blinkers. Then using blinkers and finally the cart. Unless he is going to be driven with another then her needs to get used to being out alone.

Natalie_H

Visit site
Agree - definitely out in bombproof company to start - they pay more attention to how other horses react to different situations & tend to take their lead from them, rather than people - well mine does anyway!!!! Good luck!

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
Sound like you have it all worked out!! Way to go!!

Good solid lead should sort out any youngster. I had a problem with buses with titch when I first had him as he hadnt really ever seen them and at the time we were blessed with bus routes everywhere!

Spoke to the local bus garage and they allowed me (at own risk) to ride him round the station on a Sunday afternoon, with engines running, buses moving around etc, it was really useful.

filly190

Visit site
I think from what you have said, everything sounds sensible and correct. I would perhaps do some field practice with plastic bags, walking over things etc, dustbins and things so that he is used to scary objects before going out.

We introduced my young horse to loads of objects and then noices, I got my farmer to bring his tractor, hubby's motor bike and then we lead her round next to the ride on mower which really helped.

We then took her out with an experienced bomb proof horse and to date, she is wonderful in traffic, even better than my others. I am glad we did the field/ground work, it really stood her in good stead.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Have already done all of that before i broke him into harness. I always take them past and over scary objects and because i live on farm there are loads about including lots of tractors. I take them over plastic sheeting, around cones, tie plastic bags to things, etc, etc. Nothing fazes him now so im hoping it won't be a huge thing introducing him to traffic, fingers crossed, touch wood, lol.
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Thanks again, Claire

amandaco2

Visit site
i would have a good lead too, a horse he really gets on with
my filly has already been out in quiet traffic(aged 4months) and some heavier traffic aged 5 months with her mum, so hopefully i wont have too many problems when i come to doing more with her!