Pictures Introducing - Captain Grant!

Sleipnir

Visit site
I must admit, I was not actively looking for a second horse. I did not plan it. But, when a breeder I know well posted the first pictures of a newborn colt she had, I instantly fell in love...

I visited him for the first time when he was 6mo. By the time he was 8mo, I had bought him, but, as I wanted him to grow up and mature in the company of his dam and herd, I only collected him on the 6th of this May.

Captain is a mix between a Saxon-Thuringian Heavy Warmblood and a Latvian Heavy/Carriage Warmblood. He's black, he's bold, he's beautiful and I've been progressively more and more in love with him ever since I first met him. He takes everything in his stride and as for now, as a 2yo, he leads, bathes, can be ponied, can be lead into water, understands basic pressure/release exercises, doesn't mind a saddle pad on his back, stands for the farrier/vet, trots in hand and knows the very basics of lunging, read - understands how to walk in a very large circle around me. He's curious, adventurous and, although quite emotional and high energy, he always looks up to me and sees how I react - if I'm calm, he instantly calms down and explores any new challenges with curiosity and playfulness.

Snickers, my big gelding, although being the top stud in his herd (gelding, actually, but don't tell him this :D ), took to Captain surprisingly well and has been nannying him ever since Captain joined the herd - I see them together all the time and it's quite surprising how horses of the same owner seem to feel this connection even before being properly introduced!

Less talking, more pictures now. :) If there's interest, I'll be happy to share our progress. Captain is not the first youngster for me to train, but the first this young being my own for sure!

First 2 pictures - first 2 days, 3d picture - 6mo, 4th picture - 2yo :)

71868328_555090728568859_2668919688783724544_n.jpg72849683_416729002362098_396002856638873600_n.jpgcaptain2.jpg17052020.jpeg

Sleipnir

Visit site
He was supposed to be quite small, well, at least compared to my big guy, who is 16.3hh - both of Captains' parents are only around 16hh! However, he has already outgrown his dam and the string test shows that he might grow well into the margins of 17hh... :eek: There go my hopes for a horse that might be a tad easier to saddle and mount. :D

Captain is carriage bred and, although I know how to drive horses and can train them in this discipline, I don't have the necessary inventory right now. However, I'm taking everything very slowly, as I wish to give him the best start in life, and who knows - maybe I'll be able to buy us a carriage when he's 4 or 5. Apart from that, I'm thinking dressage and endless hacking, as I really enjoy that, + I'm a trick trainer and my big lad has performed quite a bit in movies/ads/music videos etc. A pure black horse with a much more extravagant way of moving could be a valuable asset when it comes to filming - future will show. :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
He was supposed to be quite small, well, at least compared to my big guy, who is 16.3hh - both of Captains' parents are only around 16hh! However, he has already outgrown his dam and the string test shows that he might grow well into the margins of 17hh... :eek: There go my hopes for a horse that might be a tad easier to saddle and mount. :D

Captain is carriage bred and, although I know how to drive horses and can train them in this discipline, I don't have the necessary inventory right now. However, I'm taking everything very slowly, as I wish to give him the best start in life, and who knows - maybe I'll be able to buy us a carriage when he's 4 or 5. Apart from that, I'm thinking dressage and endless hacking, as I really enjoy that, + I'm a trick trainer and my big lad has performed quite a bit in movies/ads/music videos etc. A pure black horse with a much more extravagant way of moving could be a valuable asset when it comes to filming - future will show. :)
Ah, pity he's going to be tall, 16h would have been much more practical :) Yes, I had filming in mind when I saw him too.....he'd also have made/will make a cracking jousting horse (too tall for my taste at 17h). Congrats anyway, he looks like fun.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Ah, pity he's going to be tall, 16h would have been much more practical :) Yes, I had filming in mind when I saw him too.....he'd also have made/will make a cracking jousting horse (too tall for my taste at 17h). Congrats anyway, he looks like fun.

Well, I do hope that he won't grow so tall, but, as he's only 2 and already so big (16hh), time will tell... Jousting sounds like fun, although, unfortunately, unavailable in our country (Latvia), however, I used to practice HEMA until my health put a stop to it, and am now thinking of practicing mounted HEMA with my big lad - that might be in the future of Captain as well. :) Mounted archery is another thing of what I sometimes do, and I really think that Captain will be perfect for being a martial arts horse in the future.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh that's interesting - there is a Latvian horse at the Royal Armouries in Leeds in their jousting team; they say he his the best fit for their original medieval horse armour. That horse is about 15.3.

Sleipnir

Visit site
How interesting! I know that my big lad is quite large for his breed, as normally they'd be around 16hh, but even as a youngster he was very wide and with wide, broad shoulders. I often have trouble in finding saddle pads, fly rugs etc. that truly fit his forms.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Thanks, everyone! This is encouraging, I will gladly post updates as I'm myself extremely excited when it comes to his training. :) In a year, it will be time for his official evaluation/grading (sorry, I don't know if there's a more proper name for it in English), so it will be soon enough that I have to train Captain in ground driving and some free lunging to show off his gaits. As for now, it's horsefly season and I only drag him out of the field shelters to show him that hoses are okay and that showers actually feel very nice! He tends to be a bit of a madam around his hind legs, but this hot weather has taught him that cooling off his hind quarters actually feels pretty nice. :D