Introducing Lady Blue!

Pippity

Visit site
After forty-um years, I've finally fulfilled my childhood dream and bought my very first horse!

She's an extremely green 5/6yo Irish cob, and the plan is to do a bit of low-level everything with her, but primarily hacking. My ultimate ambition is to take her in the novice cob class at the Cheshire Show. (Not with any dreams of winning anything - just to have the experience of doing it.)

Sadly, I don't think her two snippets of white on her back are enough for her to scrape into coloured classes.

blue-snap-1.PNG

blue-snap-2.PNG

And a bit of video from when I was trying her out:

shirl62

Visit site
She is lovely..Same age as my boy who has a big splash of white on his bottom..Its so exciting and nerve racking at the same time getting your first horse. I was told to show my boy in walk and trot but I don't think my nerves would stand it!..lol. Hope you have some fun times xx

Shirl

Pippity

Visit site
I turned her out this morning and she couldn't decide what to do first! She eventually settled on rolling while eating, then a low-energy hoolie, then grooming her fieldmate, then some more rolling, and finally settled down to full-time eating.

She has no concept of humans as something it can be pleasant to interact with, and doesn't know what a treat is. She doesn't act like she's ever been abused - she just hasn't had affection. She's still very confused by everything, but is thankfully looking to her well-behaved little fieldmate for guidance on how to act.

DqBsb9nWoAEHwH2.jpg large.jpg

Pippity

Visit site
It's been just over a week since she arrived and, while I still don't have a saddle for her (fitter is hopefully coming on Thursday), her groundwork has come on in leaps and bounds. We've gone from 'hauling her along behind you' to her keeping pace with me as I change speed and direction, and knowing voice commands for walk on, speed up, slow down, stop, and back. She's very easily distracted by other horses (the school is next to a turn-out field) but we're working on it.

She's still terrible with her feet but, again, we're working on it. She's now pretty happy to give you her near fore, but anything else is an argument. She is, however, happy to have all her legs touched, which is an improvement.

I've had share and loan horses in the past, but this is the first one I've actually owned, and I can't believe how different it feels. She's slowly starting to come out of her shell a bit, and actually look to me for instructions. She's definitely more anxious than she was sold as, but she keeps it all inside rather than acting out. My old share horse told you EXACTLY the moment he saw a VERY SUSPICIOUS LEAF, usually by slamming on the brakes, reversing, spinning, and trotting off, so it's delightful to have one who just glares at a suspicious pair of boots as she marches past.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
its normal for them to be a little sharper and unsure when they move. just keep nice and calm, give her easy to understand directions and obviously lots of cuddles if she is a good girl. its a very big change when they are sold, new place, new companion and new humans who maybe do things differently. you will soon have the quiet horse you tried. lots of luck and enjoy!!!!!

Pippity

Visit site
its normal for them to be a little sharper and unsure when they move. just keep nice and calm, give her easy to understand directions and obviously lots of cuddles if she is a good girl. its a very big change when they are sold, new place, new companion and new humans who maybe do things differently. you will soon have the quiet horse you tried. lots of luck and enjoy!!!!!

She's spent the past year or so being broken in, imported from Ireland, schooled up a bit, sold on to a dealer, schooled up some more, and then sold on to me, so I'm definitely expecting her to be on edge for a good long while yet.

She's definitely a clever little cookie, though! I'm so impressed with how she remembers everything from our previous sessions, and she seems to really enjoy working and having something to think about.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I’ve just caught up with this thread Pippity...congratulations on your new horsey friend. Look forward to hearing how everything develops.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's been just over a week since she arrived and, while I still don't have a saddle for her (fitter is hopefully coming on Thursday), her groundwork has come on in leaps and bounds. We've gone from 'hauling her along behind you' to her keeping pace with me as I change speed and direction, and knowing voice commands for walk on, speed up, slow down, stop, and back. She's very easily distracted by other horses (the school is next to a turn-out field) but we're working on it.

She's still terrible with her feet but, again, we're working on it. She's now pretty happy to give you her near fore, but anything else is an argument. She is, however, happy to have all her legs touched, which is an improvement.

I've had share and loan horses in the past, but this is the first one I've actually owned, and I can't believe how different it feels. She's slowly starting to come out of her shell a bit, and actually look to me for instructions. She's definitely more anxious than she was sold as, but she keeps it all inside rather than acting out. My old share horse told you EXACTLY the moment he saw a VERY SUSPICIOUS LEAF, usually by slamming on the brakes, reversing, spinning, and trotting off, so it's delightful to have one who just glares at a suspicious pair of boots as she marches past.

Such a lovely update she is obviously really getting to know and trust you which is brilliant :D

Pippity

Visit site
I knew I'd have to worry about injuries at some point, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite so soon! I've just had a call from yard staff that she's come in from her field 'not quite right' in front. As she's still extremely reluctant to let anybody but me touch her legs, they're having trouble telling whether there's any heat. And, of course, it's while I'm stuck in Germany for work. ARGH. Somebody remind me why I bought a horse?