Introducing new horse to herd

raegank

Visit site
Currently keep my mare at a livery yard where we keep all the horses out 24/7 year round as much as possible. Fields are all post and rail with each being around 3 acres in size.

We have 6 horses kept at the yard with 2 in one field and the remainder have 3 fields to rotate as a group of 4 or 2 groups of 2. A livery has recently given up her loan pony (gelding) to purchase a 15.1 thoroughbred mare. She arrived at the yard yesterday and I put my usually chilled out 16.2 mare out with her to introduce herself and they both decided they wanted to stay at opposite ends of the field with my horse clinging to her old mates at the fence line.

Any suggestions on how to introduce the group? I've put my mare back out into the field with the others as thought maybe they'd be happier meeting over the fence instead. Other 2 horses in the field are a very quiet 14hh cob mare who is bottom of the pecking order and a 15hh gelding who is top dog.

twiggy2

Visit site
I would just leave her in the next door field until they all graze up and down the fence line or rest as a group together, if that's possible then I would just pop her in with them.