Introducing Talisman

BlackRider

Visit site
I thought it was about time I belatedly introduced my new pony Talisman.

I'd said I'd not get another horse, as it could never live up to Apache. Unfortunately Apache started loosing weight in the summer, he had a raft of tests done and I was told he had stomach cancer. I kept him comfortable for as long as he wanted and sadly said good bye in September, he was only 23. I lost his great aunt, Misty 4 years ago at 32 and had fully expected him to outlive her.

Apache
Fmfi6Z7.jpg

I decided I wasn't ready to give up horses, so shopping I went, I'd have loved another arab - but knew I'd end up comparing to Apache and that wouldn't be fair on either of us. So started looking for highland, found one which then failed a vetting.

I saw a fell pony advertised, that was about an hour away and decided to go and take a look, I wasn't too optimistic though as he was only 13'3, and I'm 5'9, but something made me want to go and see him.

He was fab! Very green in the school but I really liked him as he was sharp, and I wanted a fun allrounder.

Meet Talisman

XQKg950.jpg

I've had him 4 months now, poor Tali must have wondered what was going on at first as I spend a lot of time weeping over him. Its been an interesting learning curve as I've only had arabs before, and discovered he seems to be very sensitive to certain feeds - I gave him some lo cal which sent him bonkers.

Tali seems a real sweetie, he also has plenty of character (even managed to get his hay play in his water bucket!), and he's learning really quickly in the school

KR0ToqT.jpg

timbobs

Visit site
Sorry to hear about Apache, must have been a really tough time.

Tali looks like lots of fun though- such a cheeky little face! 😍

Leo Walker

Visit site
Apache was beautiful! I got mine home the day before my beloved Frankie was PTS so I know how you have been feeling. Funnily enough my current boy is also sensitive to food and goes bonkers on the wrong stuff, and he also has a hayplay that he manages to get in his water/over the door/in his hay feeder. He cant eat it like a normal horse, he has to pick it up and throw it about! :lol: I hope you have lots of fun with your new boy. The cheeky ones are the best!

Visit site
Sorry to hear about Apache x

A fell pony is a worthy new friend! Mine was bold, brave, honest and kind. Talisman will do you proud and take up the leg surprisingly well!

BlackRider

Visit site
Thanks everyone x

Leo Walker - it was one of your posts that inspired me to get the hay play :) Although I"m hoping Tali doesn't manage to lob it over the door :)

Another thing that surprised me is that Tali doesn't mind water (the water pipe in the road burst and flooded the school - its been fixed now)
h8sO10E.jpg

Am used to Arabs being convinced that the Loch Ness monster lurks in wait.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I am so sorry about Apache, what a beautiful horse.

Am a recent Fell owner too and they are fab, would have another in a shot-mines a Lownthwaite and while not show quality, he's forward without being a head case and has given me back my riding mojo again.

shirl62

Visit site
Tali has a lovely kind face and looks like fun..I am sure he has wormed his way into your heart..Looks a perfect size for a wee shorty like mois !....

Shirl