Intruducing your horse to hunting...

Amaretto

Visit site
I'd like to try eventing with my boy. His dressage is tidy but I don't think it's good enough to set the world alight doing British Dressage. His showjumping is really coming on (jumps 1m tracks with fillers no problem in training, but yet to test this consistently in competition - so this is another winter aim) and his minimal xc schooling has shown that he quite likes it!

I need to do more xc training though I think. He's 7 and a lively, intelligent sort; can be sharp and spooky. Sometimes resorts to rodeoing when he gets a bit excited. But he canters/gallops in company on the moorland adjacent to my yard and is not silly about it.

So over the winter, I think I might try drag hunting with the North East Cheshire Drag Hunt. There are optional fences and alternative routes if we don't want to tackle the obstacles.

So, do you have any hints and tips on how to manage a novice horse on their first outing? Or any tips in general? The last time I went drag hunting was with my old horse who knew the score and looked after me impeccably! I can't remember much of it, other than my boy completely taking over and me on autopilot, lol!!!

Clearly can't spell 'introducing', but don't know how to alter my title...

Last edited:

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
I would try and go out on a quieter day - maybe midweek - the Sec should be able to advise you. Arrive slightly late at the meet so there's not masses of hanging around and fidgetting to be done. Make sure you've worked him for several days before hand so he's not totally fresh. Be prepared to come home early if you think he's had enough. Don't forget the green ribbon.

And have fun!

Sneedy

Visit site
Give the hunt a call and tell them you'd like to come out with them and they should sort you out with a 'nanny' which may help? Also, check out if they do a 'newcomers day' where things should be a bit calmer??

I always think its not til about the fourth or fifth time that the horse starts to realise what its all about, thne you'll know what you're dealing with ;)! My old chap used to be fine early in the season, then at about meet 5 he'd be a very excitable wally.....happened every year too....probably just his sense of humour!

Have fun :)

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Personally on a buzzy horse I would not go drag hunting until I had established a baseline with normal hunting and made it very boring.

Making a good hunter takes time and patience and is an art form that is sometimes forgotten. Mine go cubbing first as it is very boring and lots of standing around. They get used to hounds, the field and cantering followed by standing around. If they are good doing that they are allowed to go hunting.
As soon as they get silly excited or impatient (refusing to be polite at gates, queuing etc) they are removed and go home. Often this will take a couple of times to establish but they do learn. I also spend those meets hacking out at the back of the field. Mooching along trying to do it on a long rein as I hate horses who learn to pull. They are not allowed to canter on roads and everything is done calmly.
I expect them to watch the field gallop off and behave while I might have to do a gate so I will often teach them this while someone else does a gate so they have company and learn to be patient.

I do not expect a perfectly behaved horse until about the 5th time I go out and I am prepared to cut short my days etc for the long term gain. At the end everything I hunt is perfectly mannered and will go first or last.

diggerbez

Visit site
i echo what LEC said- would go cubbing rather than drag hunting...or hound exercise of some description...
i actually think that with some horses hunting before you are properly established XC can be a recipe for disaster as can translate into no brakes and hooleying around out of control...with others it makes them braver and better mannered... guess you won't know til you try.... :)

Smith123

Visit site
Personally on a buzzy horse I would not go drag hunting until I had established a baseline with normal hunting and made it very boring.

Making a good hunter takes time and patience and is an art form that is sometimes forgotten. Mine go cubbing first as it is very boring and lots of standing around. They get used to hounds, the field and cantering followed by standing around. If they are good doing that they are allowed to go hunting.
As soon as they get silly excited or impatient (refusing to be polite at gates, queuing etc) they are removed and go home. Often this will take a couple of times to establish but they do learn. I also spend those meets hacking out at the back of the field. Mooching along trying to do it on a long rein as I hate horses who learn to pull. They are not allowed to canter on roads and everything is done calmly.
I expect them to watch the field gallop off and behave while I might have to do a gate so I will often teach them this while someone else does a gate so they have company and learn to be patient.

I do not expect a perfectly behaved horse until about the 5th time I go out and I am prepared to cut short my days etc for the long term gain. At the end everything I hunt is perfectly mannered and will go first or last.

Please start doing hirelings!!

Amaretto

Visit site
i echo what LEC said- would go cubbing rather than drag hunting...or hound exercise of some description...
i actually think that with some horses hunting before you are properly established XC can be a recipe for disaster as can translate into no brakes and hooleying around out of control...with others it makes them braver and better mannered... guess you won't know til you try.... :)

Have you been? Just thought that it might be ok as you don't 'have' to jump everything. Why is cubbing better? Little bit ignorant, I know :-/

diggerbez

Visit site
Have you been? Just thought that it might be ok as you don't 'have' to jump everything. Why is cubbing better? Little bit ignorant, I know :-/

less going on...less horses etc- so more of a gradual introduction. never been with V...i was going to take him when he was in his wussy phase but then he snapped out of it...he's super bold XC and straight as a die- figure that hunting might be fun but also might blow his brains and i'd be gutted after all the hard work i've put in...

DanaHart

Visit site

Echo this........ this is exactly how I am introducing my 7yo this season - I must say, it's going very well........................ at the moment! :D

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
The Holcombe have a rear field master who takes those who don't want to jump or are new to the field. This is a brilliant way of introducing your horse. My advice would be to go on a quiet day, usually the moorland meets are quieter and steadier so they would be good. Also I think it's best to give new horses a couple of half days so they enjoy the experience. Make sure that you are 'bitted up' a running gag with a grackle noseband is prudent and always use a martingale standing or running (if your use a standing martingale then add an irish one to keep your reins round his neck should you part company.

star

Visit site
i took my 6yr old out with the draghunt knowing he had been hunting before and he was totally unstoppable. The photos I'd seen of him hunting previously were in a snaffle and looking very calm. I worked my way up the bitting scales until I had him in a tom thumb and sort of had a bit of control. Running gag was the worst thing I ever put on him though - spent the entire time throwing his whole body around every time I took a contact so had to resort to only using the snaffle rein so no control at all! Draghunting is quite fast and furious but all over in a couple of hours. Most do seem to have a second fieldmaster who takes those who dont want to jump/want to go a bit steadier which is a good idea for first few times. It does help them become braver over XC fences/ditches etc - definitely helped my youngster. Bloodhounds are another idea if you have a local pack - slightly steadier pace than draghunting.

Alfami

Visit site
I too agree with LEC. I've had the dubious honour of introducing lots of different pointers to the hunting field. I would NEVER have taken them drag hunting as a start point.

Cubbing (with a foxhound pack) is the best start. If you're anti - try asking the drag hunt if you can join them for hound exercise, most of them are willing to have 'extras'. That way at least your horse will have met the hounds before you go.

Then, if possible, pick a mid-week meet and, nanny or otherwise, try and spot a sensible sort at the meet and stick to them like glue! Most horses absolutely love hunting, unless he's a complete nutter he'll be fine. Most settle eventually, although I'm still waiting for my 16yo to be perfectly behaved (and he's hunted for 10 seasons!).

Drag hounds tend to go like the clappers. It's great fun, can be very educational for the horse and rider and is more predictable than 'normal' hunting. But, if your horse has a tendency to light-up, I'd suggest isn't a good start point. I once went drag-hunting on a horse who'd carried a hunt master for several seasons and it completely blew his mind!

As others have said, don't forget the green ribbon. It's not really the done thing to do, but if there's any doubt that he might kick, stick a red one in too and others will give you a bit more space.

Mostly though, have fun!

PorkChop

Visit site
Definitely go cubbing, and go as many times as you possibly can, all day. I would personally avoid newcomer's day's, as by definition there will be alot of horses out that are new to hunting, not the best for your horse.

Stick with it, they are usually really good the first or second time, then are handfuls for the next ten times, and then they usually start to gradually get better thereafter the more you go.

sweet_decline

Visit site
I think all the NECDH hound exercise and fun rides are finished now - otherwise that probably would have been a good start.

I know they have some children's/beginners meets coming up though, some of which are midweek so should be quieter? I think they usually have two field masters - one jumping and one non-jumping - on these meets too.

I've been an occasional 'foot' (car) follower of the NECDH for a few years now, and hope to take my mare out this year. She has hunted before but not for a number of years. I am told she behaved impeccably, and she's been perfectly mannered on pre-season rides.

I think I will start with an Intro meet tbh, more for my brain to get used to things than for her benefit. All the people I know who hunt with the drag go fast up front and jump the big hedges, so I'd rather start out at a quieter one that her 'friends' won't be at.

If you do decide to take your horse then send me a PM so I can say hi!

Amaretto

Visit site
Ah thanks everyone for the replies, very information and shows just how little I know about hunting!

Think perhaps it would be best for me to do more xc schooling rather than hunting to give him more xc experience. I don't really want to bit him up, and although I think he might be okay (he seems to have grown up a lot over the last 6 months), there is the possibility of him lighting up a little bit too much. My friend gets tickets for a couple of hunts that meet locally, so I thought it might be a good idea to tag along if given the opportunity, hence me asking for advice.

Thanks again :)