Iodine injections for splints?

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
A friend on the yard requests your help guys! Her 5yo has a splint, came up a couple of weeks ago. There's been a slight lameness and the vet suggested that iodine injections might disperse it. There doesn't seem to be any guarantee that it will, but it probably won't make it any worse.

Anyone had any experience of this and what was the outcome? What's the chances of another splint forming if this one does disperse - are they more prone to getting them once they've had one?

Friend is torn between trying this because it might clear it up or just leaving it to calcify on a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

ihatework

Visit site
Iodine? I've never heard of that so would be interested in hearing other peoples responses.

The main thing I have heard of being injected around a splint is cortisone

Fairynuff

Visit site
As far as I can remember, iodine is an irritant and will act as a blister and will cause an increase in the blood circulating in the immediate area. I would leave well alone and allow the splint to form and calm down on its own.Usually once formed, if it doesnt interfere with the tendons/ligs it doesnt cause any ongoing damage.Otherwise it can be operated on in the future with a very good outlook. M.