Irish auctions, Goresbridge, Cavan -any experience?

jaquelin

Visit site
I am gearing up to look for a new horse & wondering about attending the sales- does anybody have any experience or advice? I don’t know their status ATM, with COVID 19, but I was thinking of going along when they are up & running to get a sense of how they work, pitfalls, etc. Looking for a sports horse. Any advice welcome.

charterline

Visit site
I went a few times about ten years ago. Plenty of bargains to be had.

The descriptions in the catalogue could be somewhat misleading... what you’d be expecting to be a sports horse turned out to be a heavyweight cob.

the cakes in the canteen are good, and Uk buyers are easily spotted

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Not a sitting duck, no: the sales are very dependent on English buyers and you will be welcomed with open arms, but it is a good idea to have an Irish person with you for a first visit just to show you the ropes and introduce you to people. I live about 12 miles away from the Cavan sales, and have been going to Goresbridge for more than 20 years. Nothing is open at present and unlikely to be until perhaps October. The catalogues are available online.

jaquelin

Visit site
Cortez, thanks, very helpful. I recognise it might be awhile before things are back to normal, thinking to perhaps visit and observe initially, maybe later this year, and then return to purchase later, if I think it will work for me.
Must track down an Irish companion....

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Cortez, thanks, very helpful. I recognise it might be awhile before things are back to normal, thinking to perhaps visit and observe initially, maybe later this year, and then return to purchase later, if I think it will work for me.
Must track down an Irish companion....

Erm, I might be available. And I may have resurrected some enthusiasm for looking at horses by then, who knows?

Nicnac

Visit site
Have done Goresbridge and agree with PPs. It was a great few days away and I fell in lust with quite a few. I wasn't looking though and the only one I was really tempted on only put the vetting documents through just as it was due into the sales ring. It was very nice but I am glad I hung around the office to see the vetting as there were a couple of things noted that I wasn't happy with.

Irish Horse Imports go to every sale and get some really nice horses. They're in Reading and worth contacting.

jaquelin

Visit site
Thank, all. Given COVID, it might be awhile. I might take Cortez up on the offer. We shall see.
Does anyone know if all horses are in the catalogue, or do some turn up last minute? I’d like to study these a bit beforehand

spacefaer

Visit site
All the horses are in the catalogue but not all turn up. The descriptions aren't always accurate - heights in particular!
All horses will have a 5 stage vet cert done within the previous 21 days.
You need to read the vets certs carefully. You can also get the horse revetted on your own account post purchase (highly recommended)
Don't go thinking thinking you will be able to spot a bargain - Irish buyers know their horses and if it seems suspiciously cheap, there'll be a reason!
We've been to Gorebridge a few times now - love it; it's a fun part of our Irish break but we've only bought there once. It's not a cheap option - there's a buyer's premium and VAT to add on to the purchase price. Plus shipping (about £300) to the UK.

jaquelin

Visit site
Thanks, space, useful. I was thinking more along the lines of who are the breeders/producers, what progeny of particular stallions look like. The usual knowledge hoovering you can get from these. I think any sort of auction can be tricky unless you know the ropes. I went to the Royal Dublin show a couple of years ago- good fun.
My current horse RID we got via a very small scale dealer who found him backed, but that was it, from an Irish dealer, who bought him from the producer. I actually made contact with his breeder who v much appreciated hearing about him. They sell them as yearlings at Goresbridge, and then they are gone. Unfortunately, that breeder no longer produces ISH - a shame as he had a very good ability to cross sporty to traditional IDs.

Squeak

Visit site
I looked at buying from Goresbridge and even went to one of the sales to see what it was like - great day, really interesting and really enjoyed it.

I decided it was too big a risk for me - I probably would have been said sitting duck and so bought from Irish Horse Imports instead. Would highly reccomend them if you are looking for something from the Irish Sales.

stormox

Visit site
I love Goresbridge and have often gone intending to buy - but its not easy as theres just so many horses. If your favourite is near the end do you wait to bid for him or buy one you dont like quite as much in case you dont get him?
And its hard to keep an eye on horses being sold and watch the ones about to come in ...
Its easy to come home with nothing...

MiniMilton

Visit site
I bought at Goresbridge. The RID gelding I really wanted was near the end. Half empty sales ring suddenly filled up and he sold for a huge price. One of the last horses was a nice Ricardo Z so I bought her instead. Everybody went home, we were there for about another 3 hours trying to get the *****er into the horsebox. Easily the worst purchase I have ever made. Great conformation but just generally insane. Safe to say I won't buy at the sales again!