irish draft

gemzo

Visit site
:p hi, i am thinking of buying 2year old irish draft can anybody out there tell me a little bit about them.. are they good to back, nice ride, good to handle are they loving., do they make good jumpers or eventers.... would love to hear from anybody out there who owns an irish draft. gem xx

jaquelin

Visit site
I have an IDx - sire full RID. This breed crossed into hotter types is an ideal sports horse. A full ID would be very calm and a good all-rounder, but could be considered a little stuffy. It does depend on the horse and his breeding but they are a nice type and are a little in danger of being lost as warmbloods are now more popular than before.
What do you know of his parentage? Seen them, or met the breeder? This could help you understand better what yours might be capable of.
Conformation can vary a lot, some of the stallions I have seen are ordinary, others are stunning.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have an IDXTB for 21 1/2 years now 23. she has been amazing loyal loving a dream to break in loves her sponsored rides. a true angel. I bred her to a QH hense why her son palomino in signature is a QHXID. looking back i wished i had bred her to a ID . I would Def get another if hubby would let me .
she has been on box rest 3 months now and manners are impeccable.
I would def advise u to get one :)

Good jumpers you ask???? lol look at my signature 2nd one that's her jumping the plane at RAF Halton Sponsored ride

She jumps anything 99% never refuses in her life i feel so safe just point her at it and she goes * right mum just sit there enjoy* when jump timed bad she still gets over even one time we jumped into water she stopped in it to paddle i nearly went over i was hanging with my arm round neck right knee round cantle and she carrier me out the water to dry land.

I would buy a Irish Draught over a warmblood any day.

Last edited:

Mynstrel

Visit site
We have a SID mare so not completely irish draught. She came to us after retiring from breeding at 15 so knew very little as far as being ridden goes, but her attitude to everything is "I've had xx kids, this is easy!". She learns very quickly, tends to go away & think about something new when you do it, then comes out the next time knowing what she's doing, isn't stupid or silly even if she's been in or not been worked for a few days & is a pleasure to work with. I wouldn't call her stuffy but she'll work to suit her rider, I get on & we trundle round happily cos she knows I'm a pleb & need looking after, hubby rides & she's up for some more advanced stuff & loves her jumping. Wouldn't say she's particularly loving, but she does acknowledge you're around & shouts if she thinks you're ignoring her.

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
Well surprise, but mine are lovely. Loving, affectionate, very willing, quick to learn and not in the least stuffy!!

Both pics are pure Irish Draught. Chestnut is a 3yo fully graded colt jumping a 3" 9" ascending oxer, grey a 2yo home bred.
JumpingOxeraboveheight-1.jpg

Scan-1.jpg

you tell me if you think they look 'stuffy'.

Foxford

Visit site
Irish_Only your colt is stunning! How is he bred?

I have an RID, having wanted one since I was a child! I looked at allsorts of nags and then realised I knew what I wanted, the first ID I went to see I bought (after wasting 18 months in the meantime!). They are kind, generous and more talented than people give them credit for. I backed mine and he was a fab for a first-time breaker! I would have another one in a shot. :)

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
Thanks Foxford, he is by Connaught Grey.
I know exactly what you mean about making your mind up about what you want :) They are so nice and work with you, trust you and are so willing to please. The grey in the pic is 3 rising 4, and I'll be bringing her in soon to get her backed. I just know that despite the best laid plans of plenty of lungeing and long-reining, by the end of the 1st week I'll be on board and happy hacking. Can't wait.

What / who is your RID?

JenTaz

Visit site
i wouldnt buy any other breed of horse, i love them, taz has been a dream had him since he was 3 already broken but not done much and he's been so easy to work with, happily stabled doesnt like going to the field in the rain or snow if he wont go out no point trying to put him out he's happy in, has jumped up to 1.20m not with me im too much of a woose was loose jumped so have something to work towards, loves his xc and dressage and hacking

shazza283

Visit site
I kept thinking I wanted a lighter more "Jazzy" sort of breed, TB or TBx maybe with a little ID in there - it's my eyes they like pretty things (have had show hacks for years) I've met some pretty bullish ignorant ID's (but I think they're more the exception and maybe not in the right hands) but then all of a sudden I ended up with a big stonking 3/4 ID grey gelding (usually go for pretty little dark bays so must've been having a weird day) and I can honestly say it was a brilliant decision - he is soooo much fun - a real wuss and scared of his own shadow but the best character ever - he was really thin when I got him so his character wasn't there but over the months with the feed and the grass and patience he really is the best boy ever - he can really move, jumps for fun (and he does it often - fortunately only into our other field), plays with our mini shetland which is hilarious to watch - shetty's too fast for him so the ID just tries to sit on him - never managed it yet. The best thing for me as had a major injury and off riding for a couple of years is that he's so scared of things his response to scarey things is just to stand stock still until you convince him it's OK - which is great for getting my nerve back. He's loving, the only horse I have who likes his mane pulled - can't praise him enough. My broodmare's off to a full ID when I get the cash - show hunters for me from now on!!

Sorry that's an essay!!

Irish only - love your 2 - the chestnut's got a fab back end and they've both got fantastic legs.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I think captainmouse means it should be spelled draught.
IMO (as a confirmed TB lover) the ID is the most versatile, agile, strong, sound and sane horse you could ever wish to own, of course some can be a little rude but they generally learn things quickly so will learn bad habits just as quickly as good ones.
I have a 3/4 bred mare and she is an absolute delight to own. (as well as costing 1/10 of the TB to feed!)

spacefaer

Visit site
I think what captainmouse was saying was "draught" not "draft" :p

We have several Irish Draughts and they fab - much brighter than people give them credit for - just because they're chunky doens't meant they're stupid :)

Very powerful jump (big bums lol!) and our baby RID is faster than most of the rest of the field when hounds are running :)

Big fan (and I'm coming from TBs from when I was eventing!)

Flying_Filly

Visit site
I have an 'Irish' gelding, almost 100% sure he is Irish Draught (breeding not known, He came from Galway as a 5 year old with no passport etc). He is my best friend, the best horse I have ever had. However, he isn't easy, he is quirky and spooky and not a good doer :confused: He isn't at all stuffy, he has lush paces, jumps anything and everything (1.30) and thinks team chasing is the bees knees. He loves hunting and riding his working canter is like sitting on a sofa, it is divine.

If mine was human he would be a cheeky, womanising, beer guzzling, rugby boy!

I know of others with 'Irish' horses and they have similar personality traits. I don't know if this is a regional breeding characteristic, or what the ID has been crossed with.

spaniel

Visit site
Yep! 'Led entirely by stomach and with a yearning to be brown' should actually be included in the breed description!

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
'Led entirely by stomach and with a yearning to be brown'

Too true :)
Everything I could wish for in a horse, brave, honest, sound but with that bit of spark that says "Look at me" My boy is 20 years young this year and still thinks he is 4 - the past 10 years have been filled with so much fun :D you name it - we have tried it!

WH-1.jpg

KilronanShow048.jpg

Last edited:

spacefaer

Visit site
This is one of ours - he is freakishly tall for a RID but he is well bred (by Annaghdown Star). He's hunted, shown and team chased.... so can gallop and look pretty lol!

He's got to be a gentleman or I couldn't ride him!

huntingfromGadfieldElm.jpg

marmalade76

Visit site
I love them, had a 3/4 ID who was a fantastic horse but lost him just over a year ago.

I've decided I'd like another ID as my next horse, I just wish someone would breed some small ones that aren't grey!