Irish draughts enthusiasts

irishdraft

Visit site
I have 2 IDs mare and gelding with 9 1/4 bone and 9 1/2 bone respectively I am looking for a youngster with more of a performance stamp as my gelding is really a touch heavy but have come across a young rid mare with 8 1/4 bone for sale from her breeder she is well bred but I am thinking this is to light of bone even though she is a performance type or am I misguided in this ?

Antw23uk

Visit site
I dont really understand the question ... if you want something a bit lighter and sporty then surely thats what the young RID mare is so in theory she should be what your looking for? Have i missed something? ... its been a ****** of a day and im full of cold :(

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
What age, what height? And has she been graded - because with so little bone I'd BET she'd be Class 2.

This is a 4yo mare who graded Class 1 (scored minimum required for conformation and type - did better on movement. ) She is a sportier type!

Height: 16.0h/162.5 cms Girth: 76”/193 cms Bone: 8.75”/22.5 cms

Goldenstar

Visit site
Some ID's do come heavy topped and some just a little light for type .
Fatty is heavy topped I think he's got a tad too little bone for his body it's never held him back but I am always worrying about his weight as I have to be super careful he does not get too heavy .
Would the horse do your job that's the key question .

Fiona

Visit site
Do you mean would this new mare be successful in showing or do you mean in general?

If you don't intend to show, then its really just your own opinion on the mare as a potential purchase. .

Fiona

irishdraft

Visit site
The mare is 4 and 15.3hh not been graded , I was concerned that as golden star says for an ID this is to light of bone ie heavy topped as I have only had IDs with fair amount more of bone I was wondering if this is usual now with the more modern performance Irish draughts. I haven't seen her in the flesh as she is along way from me but I was rather surprised by the bone which was why I was asking the question if that makes sense !!

spacefaer

Visit site
This is the breed standard definition from the Irish Draught Society (GB)

http://www.idhsgb.com/web/page.php/breed_standards

Going on that, she is light of bone - 8.25" would be what I would expect from a sturdy thoroughbred, but at the end of the day, if she suits you and is the type you are looking for, does it matter? She will obviously continue to grow and mature for several years yet, so bear in mind, she may end up 16.1hh with the same amount of bone.....

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I graded 2 full sisters AID - they were 3/4 ID/1/4TB. They both looked more sport horse than pure-bred - the first one we left until she was 6 and VERY fat (had just bought her back) - she failed as a 2yo. By 6 she had 83/4. The other one we graded at 3 - and pregnant - she didn't score quite as well. She had 8 5/8ths bone. The best 3yo pure-bred that year was 15.3 with 9" of bone - scored very well and she wasn't a lump.

I would be very surprised if the mare you're interested in got more than Class 2 (so she should be realistically priced.) She may develop another 1/4" over the next 2-3 years - but she'll always be a lightweight and not at all true to type.

irishdraft

Visit site
Thanks Janet for the info I think I will leave her ATM although she looks very nice I think not enough bone once she has matured even if she scrapes up a bit more a journey to Shropshire is required

KautoStar1

Visit site
Sounds too light on bone for a pure bred. Once matured you could end up with a lot of body mass on little skinny legs, even if you keep as trim as possible.