irish horse sales

annaellie

Visit site
Has anyone ever been to the irish horse sales If so are they any good, am looking to buy a new horse once I found a livery yard I was thinking of buying one through the irish horse sales.

bellgave

Visit site
A friend of mine has bought several horses over there. I also know some really nice show horses who have come from the sales. My mum and sister and I keep wanting to get over there and have a shopping spree, but cant quite get it together!! You can get a catalogue before the sales so you can at least see whats going to be there.

CastleMouse

Visit site
There are some stunning horses at the Goresbridge Performance Horse sales! All horses are vetted prior to the sales as well
smile.gif

hati

community.webshots.com
Gorsesbridge generally has better quality horses than Cavan, but you an get some nice horses in cavan. Depends what you want. For 3yr olds then Goresbridge in September is the place to be. For ridden horses try Cavan or Goresbridge. If you do buy, you can avail of the inward buyer programme where you can get some money towards the cost of your ferry/plane.

PM me if you wnt more info

glenruby

Visit site
As hati said, Goresbridge tends to have the better youngsters but the proven ones (if they appear) may end up at either sale. Worth having a look at the catelogues first. The goresbridge one is available online.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Our latest mare came form Goresbridge, as a buyer you get a refund on some of your travelling costs (127 euros I think).
Do be warned buying a four year old is a gamble, ours had a snotty cold plus ringworm which appeared six weeks after arriving here, she had never seen traffic etc and her immune system will take months to build back up due to the stress involved in sale and travelling.
They tend to be quiet when ridden at the sale because they are somewhat overwhelmed, that nice sensible horse at the sales will be approx three times as sharp once it regains it's well being!
If you are a capable rider you won't have any problems , but if you haven't done this before think hard, your new yard owner will need to isolate the horse for at least a month on arrival and they often get a travelling bug too..
Not being down on you but buying from a performance sale is not something an average rider can always be successful at.(I could be insulting you, sorry, you may be professional, if so, big apologies!
wink.gif
)

hati

community.webshots.com
Have to back uo what henryhorn says. We have a lot of brave and hardy jockeys riding horses at the sales. They will often make horses look easy, so just be aware.

Again like HH apologies if I am insulting your riding here, but don't you have a bad experience buying horses in Ireland. (There is something a nervous buzz when bidding on a horse in the sales ring)

annaellie

Visit site
no offence taken I had a big gelding that was highly bred and was 5 but like a 2 year in the head and extremly nasty both ridden and from the ground so I know how much these types of horses take to handle I just love the spark in horses like them unfortantly I lost him to colic when he finally settled and was working great. I normally buy from uk but I heard there was some nice youngins comin through the irish sales.

ihatework

Visit site
Out of interest hati, what sort of price would a just backed 3yo make at Goresbridge.
To make around 16.2hh, 3/4 TB 1/4 ID type, good general conformation and paces. Suitable potential for say Novice BE eventing.
I appreciate the prices will vary, but a ballpark figure ...