Irish National Stud

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I loved it and that was some years ago. Easter would be a great time cos there'd be quite a few mares and foals to see too. They also have a museum there too don't they? Also make a point of visiting the Japanese Garden even if you wouldn't normally be interested, it's well worth a look. They did have a lovely cafe there, the doughnuts were rather special, worth going back just for them!!

GinaB

Visit site
Yep saw ont he website that the museum has opened. I'm actually really interested in the Japanese Garden. Do you think there would be enough to keep a non-horsey (but learning!) OH interested?!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I would have thought so! I went with OH and two friends, none of whom were/are horsey, they really only went as it was on our way down to Adare and to break up the journey from the ferry but they all thoroughly enjoyed it (though the doughnuts were the icing on the cake!) It's great to see how a proper stud is layed out and is working let alone the serious money every inhabitant of it is worth! Can't remember the stud fees now but it is a mind boggling amount so usually only the cream of the mares are warranted to deserve the use of! You might see some well known ones there too; I remember seeing Bosra Sham at Kiltinin, that was a bit of a buzz!

GinaB

Visit site
These doughnuts are sounding promise! I shall be upset it they aren't there lol. I was having a look at the website and one of the covering fees for a stallion was 75000euros! Although he had just died, (can't remember his name)

Looking forward to it now!