Irish Oik... yomps around a HT

Lanky Loll

Visit site
So after grumbling about the new young ISH that I'm currently riding on a couple of other people's threads I thought that having done his first HT he deserved his own.

Bit of background - my TB is still on rest until her next scan (fingers crossed this month) to see if she can be brought back into work having been off since last September. In October my mum purchased herself a 4yo recently broken coloured ISH... who she then had a silly fall off and I've been riding since as she broke her arm in 2 places and several ribs so wasn't going to be back on very quickly! We've had a winter of clinics, hacking and not a lot else. His first (and so far only) SJ competition he was thrown in at the deep-end on the B team for our riding club at the Areas, he didn't disgrace himself but was very green and we just worked on forward and over not allowed to stop and he had a couple of poles in each round.

This weekend after some naughty behaviour at home, a bit change and finally getting to turn him out we toddled off for what I was hoping would be a low key simple HT.... I got the low key bit right!

Walking the course I was glad I'd picked the 2'6" - the 2'3" featured some tiny but extremely skinny fences including the first fence which was about 4ft wide and in the middle of the field at the top of the hill, and the 2'9" featured an offset double of arrow heads, up hill, away from the lorry park with no dressing on them just flags - both of these caused carnage!
Our course had it's own trappy moments - the first fence was a log in the hedgeline (what do you mean jump out of a field :eek:), the steps followed by some tyres where he couldn't quite believe he was going up hill and having to jump, a proper coffin with a slope in and out, a skinny downhill, a post and rail pen to jump in and out of... plenty to look at for a baby.

I'd love to say we stormed round but... we steadily went round (apparently on our gallop stretch I resembled a small child on a Thelwell pony kicking and scrubbing :eek:), he jumped everything first time with a few hesitations but no steps back - literally stepped off one foot at a time into the dark and murky water, I took any short route offered as I knew we would be slow - and biggest shocker of the day - we only went and WON!! It was a relatively small section and I knew people had problems, but I definitely wasn't expecting it - I may have sworn slightly when they said my name and got a red rossie - I thought they were going in reverse order :eek:

If anyone wants a giggle there are some distinctly unflattering photos here; riding a wiggly worm who's boggling and needs growling at doesn't make for a good expression and I can honestly say I've never had to work so hard round a XC course!!
From here and click right:
http://www.topshots.org.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1297493
And from here:
http://www.topshots.org.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1297843

He still hasn't earned a proper stable name - although Oik is an improvement on The Yob surely?? And it's definitely better than some of the one's he's been called :eek:

madlady

Visit site
Bless him for trying and congrats on your win.

Surely he has redeemed himself enough for a proper stable name?

Sheep

Visit site
Well done! He is gorgeous, love his markings, he definitely deserves a real name :D also so impressed with how dazzlingly white his grey bits are!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Aww he's so cute, and what a fab result he can't be 'The Yob' or 'Oik' now surely :D, well done!

It's debateable - he was truely horrible the weekend before but we think we've worked out why so if he keeps behaving...

Sheep

Well done! He is gorgeous, love his markings, he definitely deserves a real name
image: http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/biggrin-new.png

also so impressed with how dazzlingly white his grey bits are!

He looks quite smart but the white bits are really down to a rug on all winter and a lot of scrubbing :)

Lexi_

He's dazzling! Love those photos, especially the ditch one
image: http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/biggrin-new.png

yes... that ditch was definitely one of those wiggly yes there are 3 elements you are jumping them one after the other moments ...

FfionWinnie

He looks great. Not what I expected from your description you rotter
image: http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/tongue-new.png

Hehe he's just rather hairier than I'm used to ;)

madlady
Bless him for trying and congrats on your win.

Surely he has redeemed himself enough for a proper stable name?

Mum's voting for Frodo... we shall see if it sticks ;)

HeresHoping

Visit site
But he's blummin' gorgeous. Oh my.

If you don't want him, I don't mind scrabbling about looking like something out of Thelwell (I suspect these days like his caricatures of PC Mums).

Well done.

Oh. I thought I'd weened myself off wanting a cow pony and now you've gone and done it.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
But he's blummin' gorgeous. Oh my.

If you don't want him, I don't mind scrabbling about looking like something out of Thelwell (I suspect these days like his caricatures of PC Mums).

Well done.

Oh. I thought I'd weened myself off wanting a cow pony and now you've gone and done it.

Haha sorry, it's just such a gear change after cruising around on a TB :) He's a lot of fun but such a sensitive flower when he wants to be.

Bernster

Visit site
Well done, yes you definitely downplayed the story there, until you get to the bit about the frilly! He looks super smart, and v clean! That sounds like a fairly meaty course at that height.

Bernster

Visit site
Not sure if you said, was it aff or unaff?

Eta presumably unaff given the classes you mention, I've wondered about the course quality and technicality at un aff v aff., where you probably get more consistency.

NZJenny

Visit site
What sweetheart! Love the photos - there are a couple where his expression is so OMG! But the rest he is having fun.

And yes, he def has gone beyond "Oik".

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Hair, HAIR, Pah that's not hair!
After a completely hair free TB any fuzz is hairy :p Although nothing compares to the shires we had when I was small ;)

Well done :D Some lovely photos in there :D
Thank you - and some cracking gurns!

What sweetheart! Love the photos - there are a couple where his expression is so OMG! But the rest he is having fun.

And yes, he def has gone beyond "Oik".
When he's good he's lovely, but we're very much at the I'm five so I'm a brat stage at the moment.

What a fun sort. Call Me Tonto or Oi Tonto springs to my mind for a name.

Good luck with him.

Thanks :) He does have a "posh name" but we've always said that horses earn their names - it usually ends up being something one of us starts calling them that sticks, and just nothing has so far! He doesn't help by having occasional tantrums and random just plain rude moments, although hopefully they're getting further apart (fingers crossed and touching wood madly).

NZJenny

Visit site
Writing for a dressage judge at the weekend, she asked why I wasn't competing on my young horse. Explained we were quietly working through some issues, that had arisen recently, at home. That's called "developing your relationship" she told me. Loved it.

j1ffy

Visit site
He's lovely! Well done on the frilly. As for names...well 'Tonto' does mean 'idiot' in Spanish... :D I think he's earned something a bit nicer though!

Lanky Loll

Visit site