Irish Sport Equine

Smitty

Visit site
I have seen a horse on their website which I am considering.

I have never purchased unseen before but there is a fairly comprehensive video which leads me to think she may suit, as does the description.

I will of course speak to the dealers before going any further, but would be ever so grateful for any experiences, opinions etc, and please can you good people recommend me vets in the area.

Many thanks

Ella19

Visit site
I didn't buy direct but my mare was bred and broken in by gerty and her team. I adore her, she's had an all round education, but is of course still green. I would definitely consider going straight to Irish sport equine next time I'm looking. My mare can be quirky to ride but not unkind with it and that's is what I like.

As I said not dealt directly but like the horses that come from there. Also know of a large hotel that buys ardlea ponies (bred by gerty) for hacking by guests.

Smitty

Visit site
I didn't buy direct but my mare was bred and broken in by gerty and her team. I adore her, she's had an all round education, but is of course still green. I would definitely consider going straight to Irish sport equine next time I'm looking. My mare can be quirky to ride but not unkind with it and that's is what I like.

As I said not dealt directly but like the horses that come from there. Also know of a large hotel that buys ardlea ponies (bred by gerty) for hacking by guests.

Thanks for that - my confidence is growing ... now all I need is a vet ...

Reacher

Visit site
I don't advise buying anything unseen, sorry I know that's not what you want to hear. I bought a horse , lots of videos, tried her at her owners, was quiet and well mannered, but didn't try her away from home. Was expensive learning exercise

Smitty

Visit site
I don't advise buying anything unseen, sorry I know that's not what you want to hear. I bought a horse , lots of videos, tried her at her owners, was quiet and well mannered, but didn't try her away from home. Was expensive learning exercise

Thanks for that Reacher. I have a huge concern about buying unseen and in an ideal world would want to try a couple of times or even better a month's trial at my yard. However that is unlikely to happen and I am prepared for the fact that different management/riding may throw up some issues.

be positive

Visit site
Sorry forgot to answer pm, my friend did not get hers vetted, haven't heard yet whether it has arrived so none the wiser as to if it is as described.

I have just sent you a pm about something that you may be interested in.

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site

You bought a horse you tried and weren't happy so you now would advise people not to buy unseen?

I've bought a lot of horses unseen and with no exceptions have been exactly what I expected when they arrived.

It's personal choice. You weigh up the risks. I would do it again if I liked the horse.

The op isn't sure about the horse which is a sure fire sign it's a bad idea. Every one I've bought unseen I have been completely sure of and I've been right. I was ready to be wrong and sell it on / take a loss however.