Irish sports horse question.

tubby1

Visit site
Was just trawling through the Internet looking for info on ISH & was quite surprised to find that people were not recommending them as first horses . Needless to say I have bought an Irish sports horse as a first horse not only that but she is a chestnut mare:) I didn't do much research on the breed and bought her coz she has such a lovely gentle temperament . She can be a wee bit sharp when ridden but is very honest and hasn't really put a foot wrong. I was wondering what everyone else's ish was like.

maxie

Visit site
ISH are typically a cross between Irish Draught and Thoroughbred. the ID gives the ISH the brain, good temperament and so-called "fifth leg" that many irish horses are credited with, making them a nice and useful type of horse. The TB side gives more blood, refinement and a more quality look, as well as more stamina and a bit more flair for performance.
As with any breed, each horse is an individual with his own personality so you could have a horse of any breed that would be suitable as a first horse.
I've had ISH (tb x id) all my life and i find them great and i would recommend them to anyone :)

SarahRicoh

Visit site
I have an ish although hes a midget at 14.3hh. Hes stunning(i think), very forward,very sharp and quite difficult/sensitive to ride although hes a talented jumper and has nices paces. He has a lovely temperment and ground manners though.. I wouldnt base an ish on.him.though as most of his riding problems come from.how he was bought up.not the breed :)

Jade17

Visit site
You can't beat ISH! I got mine when he was 14. He's my first horse now 18 and he's taught me soooo much. Not only because he's a gentleman but he's sharp and can still throw himself around a bit, even broke my leg! But he's one of a kind has a heart of gold and is a brilliant horse, I don't think I'll ever get another horse that isn't ISH :)