Irish win Tattersalls CIC***W

clairel

Visit site
Congratulations for Trish Ryan and Fernhill Clover Mist!
A Great win for Ireland, she moved right up the leader board after clear XC and SJ.
and her husband Michael Ryan was 2nd on Old Road!

Irish eventing is certainly improving again!
grin.gif

buzzles

Visit site
Fantastic result!! Have to say she looked class on the xc yesterday! Did anyone go and watch the sj, there weren't too many clears and inside the time, it must've been a tricky course.

Fiona

Visit site
Well done the Ryans
smile.gif

Scary amounts of SJ faults in the class, indeed in the one star class as well. The course must have been tough.

Fiona

only_me

Visit site
IMO I think that a lot of horses were seriously unfit and carrying too much condition for the xc, so I presume that the excess weight, unfittness and the heat made for a very tired horse!

marble

Visit site
I really feel that your opinion is wrong, we watched the whole of the world cup class, and I think to say that the horses were on the whole unfit, is wrong. I am told by one of the scorers that the time for the showjumping was very tight, maybe this had more to do with it. Perhaps if it was a normal one day event you could argue that some horses are not fit enough, in the really hot weather we had yesterday, but really, Mary King, Polly Stockton, Oliver Townend, etc etc, are you really suggesting their horses were not fit enough!!

hati

community.webshots.com
The Show jumping caused carnage - especially in the juniors and one star. A lot of unfit horses and riders not considering that there is quite a slope in the arena. Not a pretty picture in the one star class.

only_me

Visit site
an opinion isn't wrong
tongue.gif

In the 1* there were a lot of unfit horses!! I very much doubt that time had much to do with it.

The unfit horses would have been especially tired from the day before.

Plus, it's not only me that thought that some horses were carrying too much condition, wfp was very surprised at how many horses were overweight!!

marble

Visit site
is it the time for the ground jury and the veterinary delegate to be asked why they passed at the horse inspection on Sunday morning, horses who were deemed by people to be unfit and carrying to much weight, also perhaps they should have been stopped on the cross country...the ground jury can have horses stopped and eliminated for various reasons, Or is now the time to go back to the good old three day format, where horses who were not right, did not get past the D box. I do agree with you that in the one star class there were horses who would not have made the end of an old fashioned three day, but who, why or how do we return to the "good old days" I am sorry if you are offended by me saying your opinion was wrong.

only_me

Visit site
I know one person who complained at the sheer volume of unfit horses and she did question why they wernt stopped.

I know at necarne they had spot

clairel

Visit site
I have to say there was one horse in particular I saw who most certainly should have been stopped by someone! I won't say who on the open forum but if anyone whats to know they can pm me (NOT a very well known rider I have to add)

The horses head was on the floor coming to the water 3 from home in climbed over the barrels put at least 2 strides in the 1 stride distance, fell into the water. It then clambered it's way out up the step, put 4 strides in before the skinny (walked 2 short strides) and climbed all over it to go clear through.
Horse was completely exhausted but very honest, and as it galloped away there was blood pouring from it's nose!!!
Horse finished XC clear inside the time, (was lying in a very good position!) passed trot up and SJ today (it had 3 down)

More most certainly should have been done to stop them continuing, it will be interesting to see if that riders name is on the FEI name and shame list?!

only_me

Visit site
I know one person who complained at the sheer volume of unfit horses and she did question why they wernt stopped.

I know at necarne they had spotters at the top of the biggest hill, and if the horse looks tired to them then they stop them.
Maybe because tatts is mainly flat people thought that they could get away with not having the horse as fit.
I think roads and tracks should be reintroduced at 1* level, just to show people that they do need to be very fit.

It's a tough one, and not helped by the many cancellations of events before tatts. Maybe there needs to be more spotters at normal events who could keep an eye out for those competing at a 1/2*!

marble

Visit site
Necarne is a case of its own,as it is one of the most draining of all events. when they had roads and tracks there it was a super event because as I said before, box D sorted them out...Does anyone remember the year when there was so much rain the event was run backwards i.e. the show jumping was before the cross country..and they had a box E.... this worked so well...we could not have cross country on the saturday as the rivers were so deep under the two water jumps, the FEI agreed to let the event run under the conditions I have described, it was an eye opener, as the riders had to ride the cross country carefully because they knew there would not be a night for the horses to recover to show jump...as they finished the cross country the horses were presented to the vets and after taking heart rates and looking at the horses they were passed or not as the case might be...it was really eye opening, I think and I maybe wrong there was two horses eliminated. Maybe thats were we should go.

marble

Visit site
this is going to sound pathetic, but yes I think so...I know that the vets had stethoscopes and take heart reading so I would imagine that is what is going on....we always had the most experienced vets in the D box and so they were then in the E box that year, and of course the horses had to trot in, just like in the D box, we always had to have a flat section of course after C on the roads and tracks, a steward would say to the vet competitor number such and such was coming in, and the vet would watch it all the way into the D box then take heart rate, they would also keep eye on horse during 10 minute break.. basically the horses welfare was paramount, and really we have lost that with no roads and tracks, actually I think at some 3 day events, the ponies still do a section of roads and tracks, maybe just A and are watched to make sure everything is still OK. I am probably going to get corrected, but there you go!!
smile.gif

only_me

Visit site
no you are right; at necarne the ponies do roads and tracks
laugh.gif

Maybe roads and tracks should be comulsory at necarne for all levels?

marble

Visit site
yes one section of roads and tracks would be great, but I still think we should go back to the "proper" three day event, we could still have CIC competitions, but CCI would be the real thing, and to start another debate (I love this) what about having proper cross country tracks like Weston Park, big straight forward fences, with a few fences like the water for the one stars as there was at Tatts, A B C D, the reason for the run outs at D was rider error, and no one got hurt, it was just glance offs, a great design from Hugh Lochore. Do away with the fancy striding, the ridiculous fence decorations that take the horses eye of the main fence. Bring back Tom Smiths Walls, I say. I am prepared to get hammered!!!