Irrational annoyances...

blitznbobs

Visit site
Mine are:
* People, in general
* Mismatched tack, as in black saddle and brown bridle...in genuinely makes me anxious ?
* Cats ??
* People who insist on referring to my Great Dane as a donkey or asking if he has a saddle ??
* Girths and saddle pads left attached
* The term "barefoot" sets my teeth on edge...its UNSHOD ??
* People whos first question, upon discovering I have several parrots, is do they talk, closely followed by do they swear .....??
* People...worth mentioning twice
* Baling twine and those who hoard the damn stuff
* The assumption that I must be rich as I've got horses etc hahahahahahahahahahaha...no ?
* People being constantly late grrrr

am I the only one who wants to know if her parrots swear?

*skulks off quietly*

smolmaus

Visit site
For some reason I find it even more annoying when a woman does it. In my old job I worked in and around news for years and you get a few different types of journalist / news reporters. Most work very hard, are very talented and good at their jobs but every so often you get one or two who are basically just TV presenters with no interest in news, they're more interested in their careers than in the job they're doing which is just a stepping stone. They are the ones who always call people darling or love. I used to think it was part of the 'lovee' persona but the more I saw, the more I realised it was about putting themselves in a position of power and keeping everyone else beneath them. They were deliberately patronising those around them to boost themselves. I saw far more women do it than men - I suspect they felt more vulnerable in their positions so needed to do it more than men did.
Agreed. Very easy to tell who is using these little words deliberately as well even if they think they're being subtle about it. The postie calls me love every time he has a package for me and I don't mind a bit! One particular male coworker tho, oh the hackles go right up and usually he's saying it to other women, knows not to try it with me ?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
am I the only one who wants to know if her parrots swear?

*skulks off quietly*

Ok, ok, out of 7 two of them do have a couple of unsavoury words.
One of them yells at the dogs to shut up and then mutters, as if under his breath, "fcuking dogs" ???
6 of the 7 can speak to varying degrees and a couple never shut up ????

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of them yells at the dogs to shut up and then mutters, as if under his breath, "fcuking dogs" ???

That is hilarious you must video that with full sound, I actually want a talking bird now!

Cowpony

Visit site

I used to know a parrot who used to call the dog into the kitchen using the owner's voice. When the dog raced in expecting to be fed, the parrot would fall about laughing. It was an evil bird!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
? My pet hate is calling horses unshod as if shod is their natural state, especially if they've never worn shoes in their life.

I'll bet you get out of bed barefoot, not unshod ?

PS in the original True Grit, 1969, she says "I ain't riding no barefoot pony! "

Well presented argument lol.
Still annoys me....and this *is* a thread for "irrational " annoyances......so I stand by it, so there ??????

Pippity

Visit site
My cat changing her mind about which flavour of food she likes every three days.

People who drive at 35mph, whether they're in a 30, 40 or 50 zone and no matter what the conditions are.

Blu-tack either falling off when you don't want it to, or staying superglued to the wall when you want to remove it.

My stable is next to the tap, and people always stack buckets/filled haynets/etc that are waiting for the tap so they block my door. I bring Blue in from the field and have to shift a load of crap out of the way so I can get her in her stable.

All the bloody lockdown walkers. People who'd normally be perfectly happy spending the weekend at home are suddenly out walking with their badly-behaved dogs (never on a lead), or cycling (usually with kids who've only just had their stabilisers removed and can't quite go in a straight line), and stopping me from getting any decent trot work in during what feels like three hours of daylight a week.

People who think my mare is a gelding. I eventually dumped an instructor when, after six weeks, she was still calling Blue 'he'. Girls can be brick sh*thouses, too. We even used to get it when she was decked out in pink hi-viz. "Oooh, is he a Shire horse?"

I entirely concur on hating being called 'hun'. It always sounds fake and bitchy. The only endearments I've liked have been 'duck' from a particular field engineer, or 'hen' from old ladies when I'm in Glasgow.

That said, I always leave my girth attached to my saddle - it's a string girth, so it's not like anything's being bent out of shape, and it stops the saddlecloth getting folded over when I'm tacking up.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
Another thread has just triggered another one. "Looking for a new postcode" on Facebook. I get that people are trying to avoid saying "For Sale" but I hate, hate, HATE that phrase.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Another thread has just triggered another one. "Looking for a new postcode" on Facebook. I get that people are trying to avoid saying "For Sale" but I hate, hate, HATE that phrase.

Ditto - it's really irritating. Almost as irritating as 'but they're my baaaaabies'. Even if they are your babies, you're 'animal' is a little sh*t and no it's biting/pooing/chasing/yapping isn't cute. Get it out of your bag and put it on the ground!

Flame_

Visit site
Hating pet names isn't irrational, it's perfectly rational. They're always patronising, and doubly annoying when they're used with a tone to sound intentionally patronising.

9tails

Visit site
I have been irrationally annoyed by this over the last few days.

Men, specifically old white ones, that patronise me when I'm riding my motorbike. "Can you handle a bike that big?" from a stranger and "Well done, girl, for giving it a go" from my mechanic who should definitely know better. I'm over 50, so not a girl, and really, giving it a go? I've been riding bikes for over 20 years, it's not a fad.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
As mentioned above, flappy hair not tied back for riding. Also seeing people ride with their arms poker straight and down by their knees. Why do people do that and what are they trying to achieve?
ohhhhhhhh my lord yes. I really try not to fall down that rabbit hole of judging other riders when I am no CDJ myself but good lord how can they be in any way effective with their hands down there! I weirdly think it's some kind of trend?

Also thought of another one that seems to suddenly be a trend with teens (wahh that makes me sound old and bitter)...RIDING IN TRAINERS?!?!?! Saw one video of a girl jumping at least 80/90 cm in flimsy flat soled trainers and wide legged flowy material trousers.

jnb

Visit site

Men, specifically old white ones, that patronise me when I'm riding my motorbike. "Can you handle a bike that big?" from a stranger and "Well done, girl, for giving it a go" from my mechanic who should definitely know better. I'm over 50, so not a girl, and really, giving it a go? I've been riding bikes for over 20 years, it's not a fad.
Drop the bike on them and smile sweetly & say "no, it appears I can't ooops" !!

EnduroRider

Visit site
Rug chest straps (buckle ones) not having the ends tucked in the keepers. Yes they function perfectly well but looking at the end hanging really annoys me!

On a similar theme, numnah/saddlecloth straps not done up. Excellent that the saddle is such a good fit that the pad doesn't need strapping on but it just looks like people don't care.

Annagain

Visit site

I have a colleague who is young enough to know better (gross generalisation I know) and thinks he's really aware and pc when in fact he's a dinosaur in a suit. He thinks it's hilarious that I drive a Land Rover. Every time I ask him if it's because I'm an ickle girly in a big car he says no but he can't tell me why he thinks it's so funny. On the flip side, when another much older colleague (who hasn't always been the most up to date with modern thinking) found out I drove a Land Rover he said it was cool and I was ready for the sexist stuff but he said it was because you could get out of it in an evening gown / tux or a pair of muddy wellies covered in hay and both would be completely appropriate. I had to agree with that one!

poacher82

Visit site
And people saying their horse is having a duvet day

OMG this!!!! Excuse me, I browse but barely ever post, but this thread has had me in fits of giggles (and made me feel incredibly normal that 'it's not just me', thanks all!) but I HAD to respond to this one Bambelina. It's not just leaving the horse in out of the mild drizzle that drives me nuts, it's the ridiculous bluddy expression... ARGH! I doubt any proper horsey person has ever had a duvet day in their life and yet they impose them on their horses! And the horse doesn't have Netflix and a whole house to mooch around in it's pyjamas*, it literally has it's bed. When the same people who do 'duvet days' also freak out that their horse has to do two days box rest, well...!!!

*People that call stable rugs pyjamas also irritate the sh*t out of me.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have just thought of another one - people who waste their hay/haylage. At one yard, I reckoned I could feed my ponies on the amount of hay someone else was throwing away each morning. Surely it is common sense to give your horse just enough? I was always told that you had it right when there was a handful of hay left in the bottom of the net in the morning. I know that they are not wasting MY hay, so it shouldn't matter so much, but I just hate to see the waste.

turkana

Visit site
I have just thought of another one - people who waste their hay/haylage. At one yard, I reckoned I could feed my ponies on the amount of hay someone else was throwing away each morning. Surely it is common sense to give your horse just enough? I was always told that you had it right when there was a handful of hay left in the bottom of the net in the morning. I know that they are not wasting MY hay, so it shouldn't matter so much, but I just hate to see the waste.
How can they afford it? I've liveried with wastful people as well and have been known to go to the muck heap & take their hay for my horse - who was happy to eat it. I also resucued some carrots that a black spot, they were perfectly edable!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I don't mind this because it's my greedy guts mare that gets all the leftovers haha! Everyone elses horses won't touch hay that has fallen out of the net onto the floor whereas my mare is always fed from the ground. So free hay!

Tarragon

Visit site
LOL! I'm not scratching my beautiful bike to make a point!
I used to ride a bike years ago. I parked it in a road-side bike parking area, and the parking was at a right angle to the camber of the road. When I came back to it, there were bikes parked closely either side and the only way to get the bike out was to walk it backwards, up the camber. Honestly - I really struggled! I nearly had to ask for help... Luckily, I found some hidden strength from somewhere and extricated myself. I think that very often, those of us with shorter legs are happily riding bikes, but only ever just get our toes on the ground when the feet are off the pedals!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
How can they afford it? I've liveried with wastful people as well and have been known to go to the muck heap & take their hay for my horse - who was happy to eat it. I also resucued some carrots that a black spot, they were perfectly edable!
Oh gosh no....... I throw perfectly good hay away when the idiot owner of the horse next door let's her puppies play (crap) in my hay..... I am not feeding that to my animals, cause it's usually been weed on too.....urghhhhhhhhhh

magicmoments

Visit site
Blokes in shops, wearing masks slung under their noses. Want to do this? ok, put a bulldog clip on your nose first.

Blokes in shops, not wearing masks and sucking on the item they are about to hand to the shop assistant to scan, or put on the conveyor belt. What is it with the oral fixation? It is nearly always men sucking on bottle tops; though I did see a woman with no mask merrily drumming her fingers on her mouth while deciding what to get out of the fridge.

AAARGH, next time I will not mutter quietly as I leave, I will say something to their face and probably get into an argument. I may be taking a peg and spare mask to the supermarket to hand out.
In as nice a voice as I can I say "your mask has slipped down", one guy gave me a death stare so I said in a rather load voice " so you want to look like you're wearing a mask, but actually you're not", saw him later wearing it correctly. I'm sick of it too.