Irrational annoyances...

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
I'm so with Annagain about the caps on wormers being difficult to get off, in fact the whole packaging is truly annoying, practically need a chain saw to open it (or is it just me?).

Flimsy plastic shavings forks.

My husband trying to tell me the best way to empty a wheelbarrow.:mad:

My husband also, asking 'can you give me a quick hand' to do some outside job, it's roughly translated as 'can you stand and watch me change a tyre/clear a drain/fix some guttering' when he obviously doesn't need my help and I clearly have nothing better to do than stand there like a lemon for an hour or two.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Being called 'love, darling, honey or anything similar, when I have given professional legal advice. Makes my blood boil.
I got honeyed about 20 times in one conversation.
Ages ago I got slated on here for saying I hated that..the thing is when they finish talking and I go thankyou sweetpea they act like I'm a shop lifter.!

blitznbobs

Visit site
Not horsey and generally im laid back about stuff... but scissors that come in a packet that need scissors to open it. If I’m buying scissors it’s because
1) I don’t have any scissors
or 2) I can’t find my f’ing scissors

ps I really couldn’t care less about toilet seats and will even sit on the porcelain without really noticing... I grew up on a farm and any form of toilet is better than peeing in a field / horses bed - which I am also still willing to do.

oh and a work one... when I get called nurse after I’ve introduced myself as The Senior Doctor on duty tonight.

Elno

Visit site
oh and a work one... when I get called nurse after I’ve introduced myself as The Senior Doctor on duty tonight.

Oh but have you had the other classic happen:

When you walk in to a patient with a male nurse or male med. student and the patient just assumes that you are the nurse? Makes me wanna rip my eyes out.

SOS

Visit site
Headcollars left hanging tied up when people go out to ride. Dangerous and sooo untidy.

As per other posters people not undoing the girth and taking the saddle cloth off after a ride.

Tack that’s not clean and covered in dry sweat.

White hairs on my brown horses rugs or saddle cloths when they are washed with a grey horses clothes.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Oh but have you had the other classic happen:

When you walk in to a patient with a male nurse or male med. student and the patient just assumes that you are the nurse? Makes me wanna rip my eyes out.
Numerous times...I’ve even had a (young) patient say to me “I didn’t know girls can be doctors” (I was late 30s at the time)

J&S

Visit site
My husband also, asking 'can you give me a quick hand' to do some outside job, it's roughly translated as 'can you stand and watch me change a tyre/clear a drain/fix some guttering' when he obviously doesn't need my help and I clearly have nothing better to do than stand there like a lemon for an hour or two.

This resonates with me!!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I'm pretty laid back about most thing but the one thing that really frustrates me is A. Opinions that weren't asked for and B. The assumption that someone must be 'lucky if they can actually do something with no thought for the time, expense and training that might have gone into being able to do something.

zandp

Visit site
People
  • Especially those who borrow stuff and don't put it back
  • Those who are unable to fork muck on the muck heap meaning that every day as the last livery to arrive in the evening I have to fork all of their muck before I can empty my barrow
  • The other person in the barn who never cleans up after herself
  • Everyone on the yard who never brushes up
  • The YO's family who let their horses crap in the wash down area and never clean it up - a 12 horse family means there can be a lot of crap
  • People out riding who've left their headcollars tied up
  • Families arguing on the yard - keep it at home/take it home and don't ruin everyone else's day by screaming at each other
  • Unasked for advice - like the man who told me I'd caused my dog to bark at him by shortening his lead. I didn't, my dog hates prats was my response
  • My OH tidying - he has short term memory issues and never remembers where he's put anything and then gets offended when I ask
  • Work at the moment - if we can mess up a customer we are doing so
  • Horses strapped down with too much tack / too tight nosebands
  • The urge to lecture me / quiz me insistently when people realise a) my horses don't have shoes on (I choose barefoot as it's a conscious choice rather than unshod !) / I'm veggie
  • People who can't go round roundabouts properly / don't indicate
  • People who can't drive past parked cars without taking up the whole road
  • Anyone who owns a cockerpoo - I haven't met a nice one yet - some labradoodles are ok
  • Anyone who owns a mongrel and calls it a stupid name

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Knobs who wont move forward in a queue so you can use the left filter lane that is on green......if they would move 2 feet which they could you could be on your way..... those people that position a car like your trying to get a 45 foot trailer round a sharp turn in a mini so no other road users can turn left because a fiat 500bis on totally the wrong position......the cyclist who you have patiently waited to pass jumps on the pavement when lights are on red and you have to start again..... cars parked on pavements, cyclists on pavements and dog crap in bags on trees or fences, whispering in adverts, rent a beggar who does not "turn up for work" when it's a bank holiday, cold, too hot or raining who pops home in his car for lunch. People shopping in onesies. Bring called shag when someone does not know your name, being called a bit or a splitarse. Being banned from toilets when your on a breakdown....... let me stop now before the red mist comes down.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I'm so with Annagain about the caps on wormers being difficult to get off, in fact the whole packaging is truly annoying, practically need a chain saw to open it (or is it just me?).

Flimsy plastic shavings forks.

My husband trying to tell me the best way to empty a wheelbarrow.:mad:

My ex husband once asked me to hurry up home..... it was my birthday so thought I was getting a surprise. He put me on a set of scales and then asked me to sit in his driving seat of his race car. ...... I thought yes i finally get to drive it. Oh no I was being used as ballast so he could set the corner weights..... it saved him having to try to position multiple drums of water.

Annagain

Visit site
Being called 'love, darling, honey or anything similar, when I have given professional legal advice. Makes my blood boil.

For some reason I find it even more annoying when a woman does it. In my old job I worked in and around news for years and you get a few different types of journalist / news reporters. Most work very hard, are very talented and good at their jobs but every so often you get one or two who are basically just TV presenters with no interest in news, they're more interested in their careers than in the job they're doing which is just a stepping stone. They are the ones who always call people darling or love. I used to think it was part of the 'lovee' persona but the more I saw, the more I realised it was about putting themselves in a position of power and keeping everyone else beneath them. They were deliberately patronising those around them to boost themselves. I saw far more women do it than men - I suspect they felt more vulnerable in their positions so needed to do it more than men did.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Idk, I say that my horse is barefoot. I also say he's unshod. Just depends what makes it out first I guess and people get what I mean. Here we call it "barhuf" so literally, bare hoof, which it is.

I hate sharing a school with those that feel as though the rules (passing left to left and so on) don't apply to them. Everyone else must stop so they can take their desired way. ?

People that are above the mask rule. We have one at the yard, especially in the main stable and tack rooms. There's an individual or two that feels this doesn't apply to them because they "don't like wearing them." Idk, I'm on someone else's property so I follow their rules!

People that don't sweep up where they've groomed or just leave a giant puddle of pee behind (instead of throwing some bedding on it, or rinsing it away). Because we all want to walk through it, don't we?

Nosebands and bitless setups that are too low.

Untidy or incorrect leg bandages.

I could look the other way for a lot of this stuff, but it just bugs me!

Annagain

Visit site
For fatties like me who can't get into longer ones! Those short wellies are a godsend. One day someone might make affordable wide leg wellies.
Have a look at Jileon Wellies. My sister is tiny but has enormous calves and they're the only ones that fit her. She's not horsey so they don't get a huge amount of wear so I couldn't tell you if they last but she says her are very comfy.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Mine are:
* People, in general
* Mismatched tack, as in black saddle and brown bridle...in genuinely makes me anxious ?
* Cats ??
* People who insist on referring to my Great Dane as a donkey or asking if he has a saddle ??
* Girths and saddle pads left attached
* The term "barefoot" sets my teeth on edge...its UNSHOD ??
* People whos first question, upon discovering I have several parrots, is do they talk, closely followed by do they swear .....??
* People...worth mentioning twice
* Baling twine and those who hoard the damn stuff
* The assumption that I must be rich as I've got horses etc hahahahahahahahahahaha...no ?
* People being constantly late grrrr

The unshod one with knobs on!! This really irritates me. As you say, horses without shoes are unshod.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
* The term "barefoot" sets my teeth on edge...its UNSHOD ??

? My pet hate is calling horses unshod as if shod is their natural state, especially if they've never worn shoes in their life.

I'll bet you get out of bed barefoot, not unshod ?

PS in the original True Grit, 1969, she says "I ain't riding no barefoot pony! "

Last edited:

doodle

Visit site
We have 2 sections in a long barn with the muck heap at the end. People from far end will barrow muck through near end to heap. Always loosing some dirty straw etc. They sweep their end but don’t bother sweeping the other end.

GreyMane

Visit site
Blokes in shops, wearing masks slung under their noses. Want to do this? ok, put a bulldog clip on your nose first.

Blokes in shops, not wearing masks and sucking on the item they are about to hand to the shop assistant to scan, or put on the conveyor belt. What is it with the oral fixation? It is nearly always men sucking on bottle tops; though I did see a woman with no mask merrily drumming her fingers on her mouth while deciding what to get out of the fridge.

AAARGH, next time I will not mutter quietly as I leave, I will say something to their face and probably get into an argument. I may be taking a peg and spare mask to the supermarket to hand out.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
? My pet hate is calling horses unshod as if shod is their natural state, especially if they've never worn shoes in their life.

I'll bet you get out of bed barefoot, not unshod ?

PS in the prolifically True Grit, 1969, she says "I ain't riding no barefoot pony! "

Yes! I always call it barefoot for the same reason!