Irrational annoyances...

zandp

Visit site
Ooh I forgot baling twine, the mess around the hay barn which no one else ever clears up, the yard dogs shitting everywhere and just now the owner of our company who rings in constantly for urgent updates with people just as they go into meetings he knows about. So the meeting can't happen and
I own a mongrel and her name is Habby Pepper. I guess that's a stupid name.
I meant cavapoo, cavachon etc and not the name of the dog :p

Pmf27

Visit site
Oh, and because it has just come on the TV. Chris Packham. Particularly when he is joined on screen with his step-daughter and they transition into a weird, awkward double-act.

Oh man, I think the time has finally come to say ME TOO.

I love, love, love Springwatch/Autumnwatch and am passionate about wildlife and conservation (to the point I regularly find myself thinking "what would Packham do?") so I've been denying the truth that lies within, which is that: he's kinda annoying.

Phew. I've said it. Me and my OH sit on the sofa watching SW/AW, both visibly cringing but neither of us dread to say that we find him and Megan to be insufferably annoying.

Kipper's Dick

Visit site
Clingfilm.
I've a roll in a drawer that has about 20 'ends' to it, and is really beyond redemption.
I can't bring myself to throw it out.
Annoys the hell out of me every time I see it.

PWTBB (people who treat books badly)
I love my books, they're precious. Woe betide anyone who creases the pages, puts coffee cups on them (shudder), or falls asleep when reading them and drops them. OH has come in for a fair bit of grief over the years . . .

Pippity

Visit site
I love my books, they're precious. Woe betide anyone who creases the pages, puts coffee cups on them (shudder), or falls asleep when reading them and drops them. OH has come in for a fair bit of grief over the years . . .

Books are to be treasured and I never lend mine out. Hardback books which are laid out open face down making the spine creak. Use a bookmark or remember the page you were on.

You'd hate me! I'm firmly on the Books Are To Be Read side of the fence. Before I switched to ebooks, I folded corners, I broke spines, I dropped them in the bath, I left in the car footwell for months...

I do have a few that are precious - complete collection of signed Discworld novels, first trade edition of Seven Pillars of Wisdom, various first edition pony books - but most of the other physical books are wrecks. (Neil Gaiman said my copy of Good Omens was the "most, um, well-read" copy he'd ever seen.)

smolmaus

Visit site
Neil Gaiman said my copy of Good Omens was the "most, um, well-read" copy he'd ever seen.
? Hope he never sees my copy of American Gods, it saved the rest of my books during a flood (by being on the bottom of a pile) and is more than fit for the bin but I can't bring myself to throw it away after such loyal sacrifice.

Odyssey

Visit site
People who put flash nosebands on the wrong way round, so the end points up instead of down. To me it's so obvious that they're upside down. When I see them I want to take them off and put them on correctly! Don't like seeing them on bridles anyway, even if they are done up correctly - why do most bridles come with the damn things on them!

smolmaus

Visit site
Porridge. I love it and have it most days.

But why oh why do the remnants stick like super glue and the washing up make me want to hurl the bowl across the room in rage ??
Very relatable, but scrambled eggs.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Time to go reap (scrub the pan so I can use it for lunch)

Kipper's Dick

Visit site
You'd hate me! I'm firmly on the Books Are To Be Read side of the fence. Before I switched to ebooks, I folded corners, I broke spines, I dropped them in the bath, I left in the car footwell for months...

I do have a few that are precious - complete collection of signed Discworld novels, first trade edition of Seven Pillars of Wisdom, various first edition pony books - but most of the other physical books are wrecks. (Neil Gaiman said my copy of Good Omens was the "most, um, well-read" copy he'd ever seen.)

Oh no, Pippity, no! And no again! That's gone and put me all about for the rest of the day . . .

Annagain

Visit site
Clingfilm.
I've a roll in a drawer that has about 20 'ends' to it, and is really beyond redemption.
I can't bring myself to throw it out.
Annoys the hell out of me every time I see it.

Put it in the freezer - the cling film, not the books - it makes it so much easier to deal with. Even if you just do it to sort the ends out and then put it back in the drawer (although it's best to just keep it in the freezer). It's much less sticky when frozen but will defrost in minutes when you need it to stick.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Put it in the freezer - the cling film, not the books - it makes it so much easier to deal with. Even if you just do it to sort the ends out and then put it back in the drawer (although it's best to just keep it in the freezer). It's much less sticky when frozen but will defrost in minutes when you need it to stick.
good tip!

IrishMilo

Visit site
Tacking up with a saddle that has the numnah still attached to the D rings of the saddle - it's SO much easier to put the numnah and saddle on separately without having to faff around getting it all aligned in the right place!

Badly fitting tack too, especially bridles that are much too tight over the headpiece, or a browband that is so small it's causing the headpiece to dig into the horse's ears.

lottiepony

Visit site
People who use the word 'lami' instead of laminitis. I think it makes it sounds like a cute little fluffy problem when actually is one of the nastiest diseases out there (IMO)

People who use/have dirty feed stirrers (as in dried on food)

Muddy over reach boots from turnout. My horse is always in them for turnout, I always every day wash them off inside and out ready to put on clean the next day which leads me on to...

People who put horses in their stables with muddy hooves

I have loads of weird 'isms' that stem from a mild bit of OCD but thankfully my yard pals tolerate me well and actually improve their own habits :p and bless them if they ever do my horse for me they do all the little extras lol

Kipper's Dick

Visit site

Thanks, Annagain, excellent tip! It's in the freezer, as we speak. Did get a strange look from the OH, though. I can picture it now: " . . . she's been absolutely fine until just recently, and then I saw her put the clingfilm in the freezer . . ."
Edited to add that he is used to me doing odd things now, bless him!

Last edited:

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Lottiepony I put my ponies away with muddy feet and wipe them clean when I pick them out. I don’t like washing them constantly because of mud fever and I find they dry much better in the bedding and any residue is then brushed off. I am however with you on the dirty feed stirring implement. It’s just gross. Not sure if it’s already been mentioned but slimy water buckets, even more gross. The amount of people who never ever clean the inside of the buckets before re filling. If you can’t see the slime it’s must be ok then ?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
People who put flash nosebands on the wrong way round, so the end points up instead of down. To me it's so obvious that they're upside down. When I see them I want to take them off and put them on correctly! Don't like seeing them on bridles anyway, even if they are done up correctly - why do most bridles come with the damn things on them!

Have never used a flash on my own horse but back when I was a groom we always did them up like that (on multiple different yards), so you could tuck the loose end into the flash loop and the buckle wasn't under the chin. That was on predominantly Showjumping yards, and now I think about it I doubt a dressage rider would want the buckle on top...meh, I've never found them remotely useful so it is probably something I will never have to worry about again.

doodle

Visit site
I don’t use a flash but used to and always did it pointing up as dabdab says. It lets the end be tucked away and the buckle not digging in.

humblepie

Visit site
Have never used a flash on my own horse but back when I was a groom we always did them up like that (on multiple different yards), so you could tuck the loose end into the flash loop and the buckle wasn't under the chin. That was on predominantly Showjumping yards, and now I think about it I doubt a dressage rider would want the buckle on top...meh, I've never found them remotely useful so it is probably something I will never have to worry about again.
I have a lovely photo of my horse's head where the flash is done upwards - that was when he was being ridden by someone who had worked in high level dressage yards. I always have it pointing downwards.