Irresponsible horse breeding

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
What do you want to discuss?

people who breed crap for colour?
People who breed crappy gypsy cobs and if they are really crap go for meat?
People who breed crappy TBs?
People who breed from crappy mares because it’s lame?
People who choose a crappy stallion because it’s cheap?
People who keep their offspring in totally unsuitable management?
The crappy breeding system over here that means any old crap can be bred rather than a proper licensed system for stallions?
People who keep their crappy should be a gelding as a stallion?

millikins

Visit site
It has been discussed many times on here but no realistic solutions ever found. If a licensing scheme was introduced it would clobber the decent people who already try and do the right thing and be ignored by the ones who already ignore welfare regulations. If people own or rent land legally, unless it becomes a welfare issue is it actually anyone else's business if they choose to breed scrubby cobs?

Dave's Mam

Visit site
It infuriates me. Labradoodles, Shitterpoos, designer crap that people with too much money will consistently buy to be one up.
Ponies for some are status symbols, doesn't matter if it's on its face in a field, it's still a pony.
Oh I love my mare, I'm going to breed her, with absolutely no knowledge of what I'm doing.
The whole thing makes me sick.

If you can't feed it, don't breed it.

windand rain

Visit site
It has been done but it is good to bring it up from time to time as although we are usually preaching to the converted there are still a few people who join this forum to ask the age old questions of my mare is broken so I am going to breed from her/I love my mare so much I want to keep part of her/my heart horse is a mare I cannot bear to lose her so a foal could be her going forward. I hate to say it but it never stops them going ahead anyway. Then we get the how to wean a foal with no facilities etc. It is not just scrubby cobs and crazy tbs its the sentimental that have one foal then ruin it that are as much to blame for the glut of horses. I do agree however that the good stallions would make even better geldings especially as culturally in the UK stallions are very poorly treated in the main

scruffyponies

Visit site
IME there is a huge problem with over-breeding of sports horses, when most riders would be better served by the hairy coloured cobs; poor conformation or otherwise. Criticism tends to focus on the latter, and is based mainly on snobbery.

There are more homes for quiet, kind, easy-keep cobs than the retired/failed/spoiled competition horses.

That is not to say that breeding shouldn't be better planned than it currently is, but I get really sad when it becomes all about 'quality', at the expense of benefit to the horses, and their chance of finding a home.

Snowfilly

Visit site
IME there is a huge problem with over-breeding of sports horses, when most riders would be better served by the hairy coloured cobs; poor conformation or otherwise. Criticism tends to focus on the latter, and is based mainly on snobbery.

There are more homes for quiet, kind, easy-keep cobs than the retired/failed/spoiled competition horses.

That is not to say that breeding shouldn't be better planned than it currently is, but I get really sad when it becomes all about 'quality', at the expense of benefit to the horses, and their chance of finding a home.

There used to be a sports horse stallion near me, talented as all Hell and beautiful. Could pop round 1.40 like it wasn’t there but he was difficult to handle and worse to ride. He was heavily used at stud and aside from some offspring who have gone showjumping or hunting, I’ve seen so so many of his progeny causing trouble and up for sale because they’re too much for most riders to handle. The ones who don’t get his talent tend to be impossible to place.

In my opinion, they did more harm breeding him to create dozens of beautiful, terrifying TB types than someone would have done breeding a nice, quiet, cob stallion with no papers over some kindly natured RC level mares who do a bit of everything.

But his owners were lauded to the skies and someone with a plain stallion would get slaughtered for standing him.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I know someone with a mare with various issues ,being a severe head shaker being one of them and they keep breeding from her because "she needs a job or will need to be put down ". The mare lives in a hard in a field , apparently unless she's breeding she can't carry on just living her life. Thankfully the last two foals didn't take ! The poor mare has a terrible temperament, kicks people and Katherine horses , difficult to handle etc.

My blood pressure is rising just typing this out.....

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I'm still waiting to hear your opinion. Or are you just a journalist about to write an article on irresponsible horse breeding?
Having looked at their posts I don't think n they are a journalist but that's a good point since we do see them here when something hits the news .

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
I'm still waiting to hear your opinion. Or are you just a journalist about to write an article on irresponsible horse breeding?
Nope definitely not a journalist all you have to do look at my grammar . I don’t know why people are getting so mad about this post I made this thread so people can discuss irresponsible horse breeding like the safe place to feel down thread.

ihatework

Visit site
The most important thing I learned in my years of breeding horses is that temperament is very important. I had always believed that behaviour was influenced more by upbringing than inherited. I was wrong. Temperament is definitely passed on and while correct handling will help it cannot override what is bred in.

Very true. And if we care about what we are breeding we must acknowledge this. We never know how life will pan out and if our horses need new homes they stand a significantly higher chance of a nice life if they have a good temperament

maya2008

Visit site
And then there are the accidents- given that my six month old weanling can jump well enough to clear a field fence, I am guessing that is how her sire got access to her dam (who would have been a 2yo at the time) to breed her… Mystery of surprise baby probably solved there. Headache of keeping baby in fields she can hop out of at will - started!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Nope definitely not a journalist all you have to do look at my grammar . I don’t know why people are getting so mad about this post I made this thread so people can discuss irresponsible horse breeding like the safe place to feel down thread.

I'm not getting mad, I want to know your view. Don't you have one?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
There used to be a sports horse stallion near me, talented as all Hell and beautiful. Could pop round 1.40 like it wasn’t there but he was difficult to handle and worse to ride. He was heavily used at stud and aside from some offspring who have gone showjumping or hunting, I’ve seen so so many of his progeny causing trouble and up for sale because they’re too much for most riders to handle. The ones who don’t get his talent tend to be impossible to place.

In my opinion, they did more harm breeding him to create dozens of beautiful, terrifying TB types than someone would have done breeding a nice, quiet, cob stallion with no papers over some kindly natured RC level mares who do a bit of everything.

But his owners were lauded to the skies and someone with a plain stallion would get slaughtered for standing him.

Was this horse in Cheshire? Dark, not that big, very TB but not purebred? If so, I saw him once being mounted to go schooling. He was faced to the side of the lorry, presumably to stop him bolting forwards. He was being held, and the rider was thrown up by a third person. He shot backwards about 20 metres as the rider hit the saddle.

I knew two of his progeny well, one PTS at 7 for undiagnosed issues that made him a very unhappy horse. The other very badly behaved and never was safe to hack in the 16 years I knew of his history, but could jump!

The stallion I'm thinking of was used prolifically in this area about 20 years ago.

Last edited:

mariew

Visit site
I don't necessarily think gypsy cobs are always straight forward. They are often bolshy and strong and quite difficult to get to go nicely due to their conformation. There are no easy answers. But couldn't agree more, don't breed from crp. Mind you I don't think I like the way the elite is going either, I saw a young horse someone found for Charlotte dujardin and thought it moved really freakishly, they are being bred for extreme gaits or ridiculous jumping. I just want a nice moving, moderately sensible horse.