irresponsible horse owner

crazycoloured

Visit site
I share a field with another person there are 5 horses in all 2 mine and 3 another owners,well today when I went to the field gate I noticed horse dung with white worms in(cant remember the name of them) the horses were all wormed at the same time end of November..the other field sharer knew there was worms there as she spotted it aswell..so I rush in the car to the local farming shop and buy two wormers then go back and worm mine and took there rugs off to check them underneath aswell..I then told the field sharer I had wormed mine and she texts back she cant worm hers until next week!! I really not happy and think she irresponsible on her part for not worming them when she can clearly see worms are present....mine are on a regular worming programme not sure of the worming history of the other 3 I share with...

Boxers

Visit site
All the horses should surely be wormed at the same time.

On the yard I was on everything was wormed the same day and kept in for 24 hrs. During that 24 hrs the field had to be cleared of all poop.

By only worming yours while the others are still expelling worms, surely yours will just pick them up again?

EllenJay

Visit site
Surely you should have checked with the other owner a convienient time for them all to be wormed together, or offered to pick up the wormer for her to help her out.

Not sure if you can actually call her irresponsible IMHO.

crazycoloured

Visit site
its a pain as we aren't sure which one is expelling the worms i don't know the worming history of the other horses..my friend said she couldn't worm hers for another week,i cant wait that long as wanted to nip it in the bud asap,it was large roundworms that were in the dung..

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Surely you should have checked with the other owner a convienient time for them all to be wormed together, or offered to pick up the wormer for her to help her out.

Yes this.

You should have spoken to all the owners and sorted out a convenient date for everyone. While it should have been done, it won't kill them to wait a few days.

windand rain

Visit site
If the horses are all over three and are always wormed minimum twice a year my guess would be pin worm which is only killed off with either a bit of wormer up the bum and a five day panacur system as the usual wormers are ineffective by the time they reach that part of the anatomy Think Preamox works as well but it is a bit hit and miss

windand rain

Visit site
Equimax wont kill pin worm but you will know as the worms will still appear even after you have wormed. One of mine got pinworm I didnt know how hard they were to get rid of so used equest and three weeks later equimax then three weeks later eqvalan then finally did the five day panacur and only then did they go

amandaco2

Visit site
This. Some people work hours that dont let them just pop out to get things when they want. Id have to wait til a day off to buy wormers, or til an Internet order arrived.....

AngieandBen

Visit site

This, bit daft, if you were going to buy wormer for yours surely you would have texted her and asked if she wanted some?

happyclappy

Visit site
Can only agree with all those who say you should have made an arrangement to worm all on the same day, with the same product, be it arranging another day or getting the wormer yourself and agreeing a day.
You said you are on a worming programme, so are they due according to the last wormer, and have you thought of using worm counts? (None of this is meant to be rude or harsh)

crazycoloured

Visit site
I'm sorry but why should I buy wormers for her horses.and yes I work nights so I spend most of the day asleep.its her duty to worm her horses not mine

webble

Visit site
Yes but you are saying when she has to do it and it could be that she can't get to any where that sells them immediately or that it's a bit too close to the wrong side of pay day

I'm sorry but why should I buy wormers for her horses.and yes I work nights so I spend most of the day asleep.its her duty to worm her horses not mine

happyclappy

Visit site
But you would ask her to pay. It is indeed HER duty to worm HER horses, but it is your duty to ensure YOUR horses are kept in a system where worms are kept to a minimum by all methods possible to you, which in your case means ensuring all horses are wormed on the same day with the same wormer.

I am starting to wonder who is the irresponsible owner to be honest.

No apologies for being blunt this time

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site

No you shouldn't have to worm hers, but you can't expect someone to worm at the same day when you give no notice that you're going to worm. If she never worms you need to speak to the yard/field owner and ask if they can say something or you can have a field with someone else. If that doesn't work you may have to think about moving?

crazycoloured

Visit site
I'm moving mine next week to cleaner pasture so can keep a strict worming programme.I did start poo picking but since starting a new job its been difficult.the sharer won't pio pick either.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
As awkward as it is.
You should have agreed an appropriate date to worm them at the same time.
You rushing off and buying yours is fair enough but she may be lacking a bit of spare cash and want to wait until pay day.
Worming them together is obviously better and more effective.

Handsome Jack

Visit site
yes there are 2 youngsters in the field..i wormed both mine with equimax..if i bought her the wormers id never get the money back..

Really? you don't know that...to be brutally honest YOU went out and did this, told her AFTER the event and are now behaving like she is in the wrong..and doing it publically? I think you need to go look in the mirror!

crazycoloured

Visit site
Handsome jack,I think its you that needs to look in the mirror and for the record I'd rather u said nothing at all than negative comments is it so bad to be concerned for your horses or would u rather I didn't worm them and leave rhem starving in a field like many do

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
If someone wormed then told me I had to do mine, I'd tell them to do one. There is no way I can leave work to get to a vet to get wormers til the weekend. It was an OTT reaction to rush and worm them. If you're very concerned, keep them in til they have expelled any worms, you can keep an eye on them, see if yours have a problem or if it's hers producing worms. You should be poo picking if you are going to move them to their own field.

Handsome Jack

Visit site
It is not a question of being negative - from your OP you have labelled this person irresponsible - not giving any notice to the person you share a field with, worming your own, despite the fact without them being wormed together is a waste of time and money - to now 'leave them starving in a field like many do' - really do you need to be so dramatic.
You spotted worms, so you rushed out without communicating to the other person that you were worming - and now they are the bad person??
Grow up!