Is £5000 too low budget for a horse in the current market?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yeah, my yard was holding Gypsum's stable for me. That was nice of them, but it meant I didn't have months and months to look, as they have people lining up at the door to get into the place. Don't get me wrong; I'm happy with him, but I had to change my budget and expectations quickly once I started looking.

I was starting to go down the ex-racer route around the time I found him.

Birker2020

Visit site
That depends how much people value a nice horse .
Personally I have no issue with paying in excess of 10k for sane straight forward all rounder these nice all round types have been under valued for years .
It depends though how much work someone has put in.

My last horse Bailey, the dealer got her from his contact in Holland. Hadn't done that much, pootled through some forests out hacking, done a few 'farmers shows' as they are known over there. He had her on the Thursday and got to work with her straight away and basically worked the socks off her, made her 'look nice'. I tried her on the Saturday and again on the Sunday. Don't get me wrong he only ironed out the imperfections, if she'd not been nice in the first place he would have had to have taken a lot longer. But the amount of effort he put in was negligible in reality. But he probably made £1500 for a couple of days of work and some nice chat with the contact over in Holland. In those days WB's were probably only around £3K then.

But for those private sellers that have had the horse years and built up a bond and put in a huge amount of work, have been to countless event and competed in lots of disciplines and produced an outstanding allrounder, then yes I agree that that figure should be more.

I see similarities between that and people selling dogs during Covid. They'd pick up a nice looking rescue dog from the Dogs Home, give it a bath, a groom or whatever and flog it on Gum Tree for a few hundred quid more. Supply and demand. I don't condone it, I hate it but that is the reality sadly.

Adoni123

Visit site
My budget was £5k. I decided to up it to £7k and have found a great horse for £7,000 including a lovely fitting saddle.
Personally, I would put your horse budget up to £6,000 and keep the £500 for a saddle. You can get a cheap and well fitting saddle for £500 and always save up for a fancy one. I find it better to buy without tack because 9 times out of 10 the saddles don't fit anyway!

I was horrified when I put up a wanted ad for a low level riding club horse 15-16.2hh and people were messaging me with £30k horses...

Andrew657

Visit site
As a potential buyer of a 'leisure' horse I probably shouldn't be trying to justify the high prices being charged.

I reckon it costs me around £8K a year to keep a horse (that includes full (part) livery).

If I'm looking at paying around £8K for a four/five year old that someone else has bred, cared for, backed, trained - and it costs me effectively one years keep - it sounds expensive but in reality surely it's a bargain.

Given that I then get to "pick" the one - which whilst not a top competition horse - has no significant issues and suits me that cost seems even more reasonable

Would agree with OP that a £1500 budget for extras tack, rugs, transport, vetting is a minimum especially if your first horse.

Leandy

Visit site
My last horse Bailey, the dealer got her from his contact in Holland. Hadn't done that much, pootled through some forests out hacking, done a few 'farmers shows' as they are known over there. He had her on the Thursday and got to work with her straight away and basically worked the socks off her, made her 'look nice'. I tried her on the Saturday and again on the Sunday. Don't get me wrong he only ironed out the imperfections, if she'd not been nice in the first place he would have had to have taken a lot longer. But the amount of effort he put in was negligible in reality. But he probably made £1500 for a couple of days of work and some nice chat with the contact over in Holland. In those days WB's were probably only around £3K then.

I strongly suspect you are severely underestimating the dealer's overheads. He has built up contacts he knows and trusts in Holland, sourced the horse, paid for it, paid the import and travel costs, paid for his yard and facilities here, paid to advertise, took the time to prepare and show the horse etc etc etc. He also has the keep of all the horses which don't sell as quickly as yours did, the ones which incur some vet's bills, or take more time to get sale ready etc etc. I don't begrudge the current price of horses. Of course I'd like not to have to spend so much but really, compared to what perfectly ordinary people pay for cars, they are not expensive.

piebaldproblems

Visit site

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I was looking on and off for a long time, being gazumped by people buying unseen. Eventually, and reluctantly, I joined them! This was after almost doubling my budget, increasing my compromises and doing a lot of legwork, all to no avail.

As I was buying unseen, it didn't matter where the horse was from. I chose a dealer with a good reputation in Ireland, saw loads of video and got my new horse for at least 3K less than he would have been if someone else had already imported him. He was also within my original budget.

I was lucky, he arrived on a box and was exactly as described, but it was a risk, that's for sure.

Extra compromises were that he was younger than I originally bargained for, and grey (Nooooooooo!!!) but is lovely.

Last edited:

Peglo

Visit site

mariew

Visit site

I'm Dun

Visit site
I paid £3500 for a TB with sarcoids. Hes beautifully put together, moves well, and hes sound and tough. The sarcoids were flat and not in areas that bother him. They dropped off within 6 weeks of being with me. I adore him. He hacks alone and in company, can be ridden by a total beginner but then ups his game when it comes to jumping. His flat work is a bit rubbish, but I have spent a lot of time sorting his feet and doing tons of ground work to make sure his body is straight and strong. Hes also a really lovely cuddly person with impeccable manners. I am absolutely thrilled with him.

But I do have a rising 4yr old, so if he had broken or something had gone wrong I had a back up plan. I also have my own yard so keeping him as a pet wouldnt have been the end of the world. Hes so lovely to have around I wouldnt mind having a 16hand plus pet :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Apart from the sarcoid, what would you say needs reading carefully? (Not asking to be judgemental or anything, just curious as someone with little experience in the reading between the lines department)

I liked this horse when I looked at the ad it’s the sort of thing that might suit me when I get going after this operation I had a fortnight ago .I think Sky might be too big .
The sarcoid depending on what it was and what they did with it would not make it a complete no no for me because I can afford some bills and don’t find hard to step away from a disaster .

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I would suggest that you try to find a horse locally to you so that the local;s know the true history and temprement off. Put up some Wanted adverts in the local tack shops/fed merchants and ask local instructors, farriers, riding clubs and pony clubs to keep an eye out for you. Also put some wanted ads on the local equestrian Facebook pages. That way you may well find yourself something within your budget. Good luck.

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
I live in Ireland prices are still crazy I would actually say it’s as bad the uk with the price it’s 10 thousand for a decent and sound horse. I bought my horse for 3 thousand a few years ago you wouldn’t see the price anymore. So many people in uk have been scammed buying in Ireland and ended up with unsound horse or horse with behavior problems . Op I would probably consider full loaning or asking a few people if they are selling you might get bargain .

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Apart from the sarcoid, what would you say needs reading carefully? (Not asking to be judgemental or anything, just curious as someone with little experience in the reading between the lines department)

It is a well written advert, schooling issues declared, full breeding and race history which can be confirmed. Sarcoid declared. I see nothing to read between the lines, it tells you exactly what the horse currently is and what it potentially could be with work.

GSD Woman

Visit site
OP, would you be willing to consider a smaller or older horse? What is the difference between, say a 3* and a 5* vetting? The post with the several links had some horses that I would have looked at at the time. Also, Standardbreds are highly underrated. A friend owns and works with several and has hunted with them. Mainly she races but some of the retired ones have gone on to other careers and also are very sound.

Caol Ila

Visit site
@GSD Woman, the "3* or 5* vetting" is a UK thing.... Not something I came across when I've bought horses in the US. And it's "2 stage v. 5 stage." In the US, a vetting was a vetting, adapted to the horse, circumstances, budget. Over here, you specify whether you want a 2 stage or a 5 stage. The difference is that during the 5-stage, they ask the horse to do ridden or lunge work to the point where its respiration and heart rate are elevated, then they listen to its chest and perform another lameness evaluation. With the 2-stage, they do the flexion tests and trot ups but without the heavy exercise in the middle. Neither of my horses had a 5-stage. Hermosa wasn't halter broke enough for trot ups, so she didn't even have that. Foinavon did, but he was too green to be chased around in canter until his heart rate was sufficiently elevated, and I didn't think it was fair to ask him to do that, given his history. So 2-stage it was.

smolmaus

Visit site
I live in Ireland prices are still crazy I would actually say it’s as bad the uk with the price it’s 10 thousand for a decent and sound horse. I bought my horse for 3 thousand a few years ago you wouldn’t see the price anymore. So many people in uk have been scammed buying in Ireland and ended up with unsound horse or horse with behavior problems . Op I would probably consider full loaning or asking a few people if they are selling you might get bargain .
I have been casually looking for the last... 18 months? And yeah prices are still very high compared to a few years ago but I have noticed a drop the last few months. In terms of advertised prices anyway, no way to say if the 5 yo "potential' competition horses were ever selling for 12-15k.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I'm glad I read the thread as I was about to say the same as piebaldproblems... for your budget it will be unbroken, foals, yearlings and the older horse.

NiftDisy

Visit site
Prices are through the roof just now but keep looking and don’t be afraid to try barter the price a little bit.

I recently bought a 16.2hh schoolmaster for £2,750 with tack. He was originally listed as £4,500 but after a slightly iffy viewing (nothing to do with the horse, just the owner riding very poorly) I managed to get him for almost 2 grand less!

Had him since 1st September and he’s been super in every way.
Keep looking and don’t lose hope yet
Some people are just silly and greedy with their prices

Visit site
We enquired about a lovely Irish type three year old the other day which was unbroken…. 10k!!! I don’t know where people get these prices from?! At this rate I will be looking for a yearling when I am seriously looking just so I can get something with quality within my budget.

Asha

Visit site
I personally hope the pricing of horses stays as is or at the very least higher than it was .
When you consider the price of some ill bred puppies are going for £££. The breeder has only had to put a few months work / money to get a substantial return for relatively very little input .
Then consider what it costs to get a horse on the ground , and then backed and then miles on the clock . All without killing itself or developing issues/ scars etc that are out of the breeders control .
So to want a horse that’s got to an age that’s done a bit , nicely mannered and willing to forgive a novice for less than £5k I personally think it’s wrong .

ImmyS

Visit site
We enquired about a lovely Irish type three year old the other day which was unbroken…. 10k!!! I don’t know where people get these prices from?! At this rate I will be looking for a yearling when I am seriously looking just so I can get something with quality within my budget.

I bought my well started 3 year old RID for £4K in March this year. I think this is cheap and he should have been more really, but just shows there are still breeders/producers who’s prices haven’t rocketed.