Is 10 too old to put in foal?

maxusa

Visit site
Hi,

We have an Irish Gypsy who I would like to get a foal from. She is 10 this year, this would be her first foal, would this be too old?

Thanks

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
It's absolutely NOT too old. However, anything over about 8 years is effectively an 'old maiden' and MAY be inclined to retain fluid so it's worth ensuring that the stud you use WILL treat for fluid - whether she's being AI'd or natural cover. And that they won't cover her unnecessarily often (every day/twice a day as I've heard of some small studs doing!!)

We cover every second day from the day they stand - until they won't. And with older maidens, we tease on the days in-between. Teasing is effectively the same as giving a jab of Oxytocin for the same purpose!! Then as soon as the mare shows she won't stand, we tease her a bit more - and give a jab of Oxytocin 6 hours later. Works a treat.

huskimo12

Visit site
My mare is 14 and due shortly it is her second foal though she was 3 when she had the first!

I know of 3 or 4 mares that are 13 plus (were maiden) and in foal.

I think the vets just warn that as with people as the mare gets older there can be more problems getting them into foal. Doesnt by any means mean they cant and most do perfectly easily from what i gather

Good Luck

smile.gif