Is 7 acres big enough for 2?

Chex

Visit site
*Might* be getting some land for Chex, and a future companion, but budget only allows me to get 7 acres. I'm now panicking this isn't enough
crazy.gif
frown.gif
. He will be in a small paddock in the summer anyway because he's such a big fat pie, but winter he'll have the lot. Is 7 acres enough for 2 horses to live out 24/7? I'd rather not split it, apart from the summer paddock. Am I likely to end up 7 acres of mud? Eeeeeeeek, really starting to worry now
frown.gif
the offer is being put in very soon
crazy.gif
. He's always stayed in large fields of above 10 acres and I feel so bad that he'll be in a little field for the rest of his days
frown.gif

Natalie_H

Visit site
I have 2 on 4 acres 24/7. Split into 2 fields - rotate alternately. Plenty for them, so I would say you will be fine. I would love to have 7 acres!!!
smile.gif

Enfys

Visit site
Plenty!
smile.gif

I had four horses on two acres all winter, mind, it was frozen and covered in snow for quite a while. They just eat, walk to the trough and the shelters. I started them off in four acres but they didn't use it at all, so I moved them closer to the barns.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Absolutely, we have 3 on 4 acres. You have to be a bit clever with the rotating but 7 acres isn’t a small amount of land.

Tia

Visit site
The only concern I would have is only having 2 horses on 7 acres. You will be absolutely inundated with grass!! Is there a neighbouring farmer who could come in and cut half of it for hay for you?

7 acres is a lot of land for 2 horses to keep control of.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
To be honest you could get away with four horses happily. Agree with Tia, I would be worrid if hes a good doer about the weight although we have super large pasture so horses stay in grazing mussles, this way they can happily grass all day without restrictions and not get lami as they don't get the sweet bottom grass.

helenandshadow

Visit site
I think that's plenty. We have 2 on about 3 acres, although not out 24/7. You're meant to have an acre per horse (ours don't have that much because they're fat ponies!) so with 2 horses and seperate summer and winter fields that's 4 acres so I would think 7 acres is more than enough.
smile.gif

Chex

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I just needed to hear it from other people to calm my worries
laugh.gif

I have no idea about rotating and things
confused.gif
. I guess I'll have to learn
laugh.gif

Chex

Visit site
I am worried about the grass, its more agricultural land than rough horse land
frown.gif
. There are sheep on it just now, so I'm either going to see if the farmer will keep grazing them there, or I'll buy some sheep, but I'm sure thats not anywhere near as easy as it sounds
crazy.gif
. Some of it has been cut for hay previously, so I think it would be possible to do again. Their summer paddock will probably be about 2 acres, so hopefully that will stay eaten down.

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
To be honest you could get away with four horses happily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't say that - I'll have to be very restrained from accumulating a mini-herd that I can't really afford!
tongue.gif

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
We have 9 acres. 6 of it was seeded specially for horses, the other 3 just has "volunteer" grass.

I have 4 horses and 5 sheep + hopefully around 6 lambs a year. The last two years we brought the horses off the grass for 4 months and kept them in, fed exclusively on hay that we had made from the "sown" 6 acres. We have overproduced hay so much over the past years that I have have had 2 horses out all winter this year. Currently I have 2 horses out on the volunteer grass and 2 at home - 1 for laminitis reasons and the other had a fight and is injured but there is more than enough grass for all 4 of them on the thee acres and I'll still produce more hay than we need from the sown lot!

You'll have bags of space - fence them a small part off and get someone to make you your own hay or haylage!

jewel

Visit site
7 acres is lots i've had 3 on 5 acres out 24/7 for 3 years didn't even need to feed hay this winter i brought 2 round bales all winter and they wasted most of that. 2 acres is a big stravation paddock for 2, especially good doers.

suzyseymour

Visit site
I've got 3 on 5 acres split in 2. They winter out with no hay. No problem. We have too much grass here for them (1 is a shetland). So one of the local farmers takes a crop from half of the field in return for looking after the hedges etc.

MillionDollar

Visit site
7 acres is HUGE for 2 horses. I'm having to keep mine in in the day as 8 acres is way too much for them.

Personally I'd split it up, have some for summer, some for winter and the other to make hay on. Oh and get a few sheep, they are fantastic to keep the grazing from getting horse sick.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
It very much depends on the soil type and drainage.

I keep my two in a half acre paddock in Winter and even less in the Summer. They are in at night but the land is well drained and does not become poached.

For 24/7 Winter turnout make sure that they have some sort of shelter if it becomes wet and cold.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Plenty big enough.
I would however split it into at least three preferably four paddocks and rotate. In summer you could even make hay off 2 acres and be left with enough grazing for two horses.
You need to be good with your pasture management ie harrow, roll, spray for weeds and use a good fertliser but it's adequate.